BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Why does everyone call the M5 the "Beast"? Do you call it that around other people?

·
Registered
202 Posts
It doesn't seem like there is a specific reason, but I like to think the car lives as Beauty & The Beast :haha:

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
Because supercar.

Seriously though, M5board was the first place I saw reference to "Beast".

·
Registered
6,918 Posts
I call it the 5, people in the know, know.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
I wondered about that when I joined years ago too. Guess these cars' performances are beastly. :)

But pretty much any performance car is a beast in the eyes of its owner.

Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
1,617 Posts
My wife calls it "that ******* red money pit"

·
Registered
12,890 Posts
Reactions: chuffykow

·
Registered
2,586 Posts
^ Lol...I just call it the "M" when referring to it with my wife and brother (who drives an e60 m5)..."my car" when talking to friends (and let them be the judge)...and occasionally "the beast" when writing about it here on the board.

·
Registered
470 Posts
I have been known to call it the Beast, I picked up calling it that from here. My mother calls it "The M" or "The Blue Monster."
I just prefer to call it the M5.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I remember people calling the E34 M5 a beast when I had mine. That said, this was back in '01 and as the E39 M5 was out then I don't know if people had carried over something germaine to the E39 in particular or if this was carried up to the E39 from the previous generation. I tend to think the latter. The S38 while having less HP and torque then the S62 had a real unique "on cam" feel, rough idle, and overall the E34 chassis was a little more course than its successor. I see the term apropo to the E34.

·
Registered
7,328 Posts
It's also used quite frequently in the E60 world. :)

·
Registered
2,386 Posts
I find myself referring to it as "the 5 series" or "the BMW" to friends or acquaintances i talk to.

On one hand its because i drive a beater Golf Daily and so if i talk about doing something to "the car" they don't know which one i'm talking about, on the other if i refer to the M5 as simply a "beast" or "the M5" i feel a pretentious arrogant twat even though its worth less than a 3 year old Mondeo and there are plenty of other cars out there ready and willing to out perform it!

·
Registered
672 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Tbf, I tend to call mine either my car or the M5, but I guess that's just without thinking about it. I think if I called it the Beast, especially around people, I'd get some funny looks, the kind you get when you have just dropped a proper fart and everyone knows it's you.

·
Registered
2002 BMW M5 E39 Dinan
2,230 Posts
The best feeling is when non-M5 and/or non-BMW owners call it "the beast". Had it happen couple times now.
Every time it happens, in my mind I quickly spool back every possible conversation with that person and try to remember if I ever said "the beast" which transferred over to them. But I don't say it around others.... so :) Goood Feeeling.

Myself I think of "beast" as 800+hp. Though if others call it 'the beast' it might have something to do with the essence of the car. :)

Personally I just call it The Machine around others.
My sister calls it The Black Panther.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts