BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Let me start by saying, I can afford the maintenance costs for my '07 M5. However, I still don't like getting ripped off on parts, and I try to avoid it whenever possible.

I buy only BMW or OE supplier parts for my car. However, the idea of $250 per rotor is crazy. What makes the E60 M5 rotors so expensive? Are there any aftermarket rotors that are just as good but much less expensive. I've always done my own maintenance on all my vehicles, so I know the price of a rotor. I even understand a slight markup for a performance rotor. But $250/ea is crazy? Is there something driving this price or is it that there are no competitors to the BMW or OE supplier rotors?

·
Registered
183 Posts
It is supply and demand, there are only 2 choices. If there would be a 3rd and 4th then prices would fall, but it's not likely that anyone else will make these since it only fits M5/M6s and as time goes on, fewer and fewer are on the road and the ones that are left will accumulate fewer miles, therefore the "market" will continue to shrink. This is also why very few aftermarket vendors will bother developing anything for a 10-14 year old platform.

·
Registered
170 Posts
That's true too, lots of BMWs share rotors and calipers but the m5/m6 are unique to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's true too, lots of BMWs share rotors and calipers but the m5/m6 are unique to their own.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
I didn't think about that. I guess if there are no other applications besides the M5 and M6, then there's little incentive for other companies to make them. Has anyone found a similar rotor for some other vehicle that works in place of the BMW/Zimmerman?

·
1,737 Posts
Where do you see them for $250? Must be on sale! J/K

Remember they are floating so I'm sure they're not your typical $2 china cast rotor. The floating design is rather interesting as they don't use axial fasteners to join hat and rotor. The radial metal rods joining hat and rotor appear to be some high strength steel alloy. They don't look stainless if memory is right. It's not clear how both pieces are assembled either, I suspect there's a bit of labor involved due to the radial design.

·
Registered
273 Posts
$250 is cheap, it's a big hunk of nasty stopping power. Just to throw it out there I track my car and throw pads at it at a very high rate. I would not change the rotors unless they are warped or cracked. They have the max and min thickness printed on them.

·
Registered
183 Posts
In general there will not be cross compatibility for M5s although for the M3/M4 platforms there may be some intergenerational similarities that allow for something.

I believe (could be wrong) that the M5 always has different brakes and rotors than the base version. That is part of what you are getting when you step up to the M5. The BMW philosophy is that the M version must have superior braking capacity as it must be able to endure the higher speeds and dynamics that happen when driving in high performance situations (Nurburgring as well as any other track). I know for the e39, the M5 brakes are specific to M5, I think that was also the case with the e28, but I have very little direct familiarity with e28s.

·
Registered
259 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
So, I'm not going to buy a used set of rotors. It's too hard to get a reliable measurement on their thickness, and I don't want to buy anything that could possibly give me a problem in the braking system.

Sorry, but $250 is high for a rotors. For example, you can get a brand new set of floating rotors for a C7 vette for $100. They are slightly smaller, but not enough to justify an additional $150. The only justification I've been given is the floating deisgn, but I'm not buying it. I think there is a huge markup in the price that I surprised hasn't been reduced with more competition.

·
Registered
81 Posts
So, I'm not going to buy a used set of rotors. It's too hard to get a reliable measurement on their thickness, and I don't want to buy anything that could possibly give me a problem in the braking system.

Sorry, but $250 is high for a rotors. For example, you can get a brand new set of floating rotors for a C7 vette for $100. They are slightly smaller, but not enough to justify an additional $150. The only justification I've been given is the floating deisgn, but I'm not buying it. I think there is a huge markup in the price that I surprised hasn't been reduced with more competition.
Philosophically, I would use up what ever life is still left in the rotors till they go out of spec.
But you should be a complete DIY person to get involved in this Frankenstein project - finding parts that have life in them and re-using them. If the rotors are warped you are gonna know in a minute when you take it for a drive. just take them out, put old ones back and get new ones - you did your best for the environment.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Is anyone running the ECS rotors?

They are having a sale in these at the moment.

My front rotors are close to the minimum thickness so I might get these. Of course I plan to use the same logic my wife uses....they were on sale!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
665 Posts
chevy builds 1000’s of corvette and part makers make 1000’s. of parts.
The rule of numbers make prices cheaper.
You can always sell the M5 buy a corvette z06

·
Registered
273 Posts
I just want to weigh in one last time then I'm out. I take my car to the track, 9x last year. I have run through one set of stock pads and one set of EBC yellow. I am half way through a set of Hawk DCT60's, I still have the same rotors on and plan to continue to use them. The whole safety, measurement is just not relevant. My Hawk pads don't even come up to temperature until the second or third lap. My front straight speeds are around 140mph. Anything that you do on the street won't even come close to track punishment.

If you want to be over the top then buy new rotors, while you are at it don't go cheap on the pads that is where the real difference is made. A cast rotor will out preform carbon ceramic in all but weight and life cycle, so cast is best for the street. Cheap rotors are just that, cheap. There are a lot of different metals that can be cast into a rotor and BMW does not cast **** in to there products. The E60 M5 is a monster not meant for the streets or mortals.

·
Registered
227 Posts
The E60 M5 is a monster not meant for the streets or mortals.
....or the poors. At least not for very long.

Speaking of which, does anyone know how I can turn a VIN number into a social security number? I'd like to register my M5 as a dependent for this tax season.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts