BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
188 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So, is there something going on with the F10 M5s ? I am seeing 2013 M5s in the 65 range and 2014 M5s in the 76-80 range. I want to wait until 2015 around the fall and grab a cp in the low 70 range. fingers crossed that the prices next year are similar.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
So, is there something going on with the F10 M5s ? I am seeing 2013 M5s in the 65 range and 2014 M5s in the 76-80 range. I want to wait until 2015 around the fall and grab a cp in the low 70 range. fingers crossed that the prices next year are similar.
They're a powerful saloon car that likes to drink fuel. Has always been the same with such cars. For a real shock, look at AMG prices. Large powerful cars have always been stung in the used prices which is why such exceptional deals exist on new cars. New M6's in the UK are being discounted by about £30k i believe & new F10 M5's were being discounts by about 15% with some very attractive finance offers.

·
Registered
232 Posts
Pricing on new??

I have not seen that kind of discounting on the M5 here in my region of the US. I would have made a trip to upgrade my 13 by now if this was happening.

·
Registered
1,222 Posts
I have not seen that kind of discounting on the M5 here in my region of the US. I would have made a trip to upgrade my 13 by now if this was happening.
You already pay less for the car in the US. I'm in the UK so am quoting UK prices/discounts. The List price of a standard (no options) F10 M5 in the UK is £75k, so about $117k at todays exchange rate.

·
Registered
163 Posts
Lots of lease returns hitting the market right now. I suspect this is having an impact. Just recently drove and almost purchased a 7k mile 2013 M5 in the Dallas market in the $65k -$70k range. I believe it has since sold to someone else. I expect 2014's to be in the same range, if not lower, by this time next year.

·
Registered
12,398 Posts
Lots of lease returns hitting the market right now. I suspect this is having an impact. Just recently drove and almost purchased a 7k mile 2013 M5 in the Dallas market in the $65k -$70k range. I believe it has since sold to someone else. I expect 2014's to be in the same range, if not lower, by this time next year.
Every car, every marque, every model..the lease returns DRIVE the market to the lease end residual price. Sure there are variations, but by and large the value of the car is roughly the lease end return, or a bit less (like 5-10% less). Dealers let the lease go back to the finance company, finance company takes off $5-10k and the car is auctioned.

In 2013 28% of all cars were leased. Higher end models have a much higher lease rate. The residual - 54%, 57% whatever- drives the market to that number once that volume of cars hits the market. back in the 90s, when leasing was rare, you would see the odd lease return not reflecting the use market value- but those days are gone. Sure, manufacturers have better data on what the value will be in 2-3 years, so they can 'guess' the residual better- but the shear volume of lease returns actually tend to drive the market to that number.

IMO

·
Registered
362 Posts
Depreciation. Simple as that. You buy a car brand new, drive it for a day and return it. You've already lost at least $10k of value. Once the car is titled, it's no longer a "new" car. Drive it for 2 years on a lease and the value drops substantially. I was able to purchase my 2006 M5 for $24k the car was over $96k new and less than 8 years old. It lost 75% in 8 years.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Yeah the prices will keep coming down and you should get your wish, I'm hoping for about the same.

Highest mileage F10 I've seen so far and I think it's a little over priced given that I've seen 20-30K mile cars at a similar price. This should be around $55K:

Cars for Sale: 2013 BMW M5 in Rahway, NJ 07065: Sedan Details - 392660219 - AutoTrader.com

If I don't get into an F10 just yet I maybe interested in your 6 spd E60 when you sell LOL.

·
Registered
1,061 Posts
Every high end car I've seen with rare exception depreciates rapidly. It's just money.
Scott did you get an F10, I need to get out to a meet sometime, I'm missing out LOL. Manual or auto?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts