BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know that E30 M3's command a premium for examples that are decent...actually these days, even beaters and fixer uppers fetch tidy sums. They're rare birds indeed.

But on average E28 M5's w/ say 140-160K on the odo seem to be priced higher than an E34 w/ equal mileage. Just scanned the Autotrader and was blown away w/ the prices.

Don't get me wrong. I appreciate the E28, had 2 of them a 530i and a 533i, but compared to the E34 M5....? its not even close in performance and value( of course this is highly debatable to the end of time ).

Isn't the E34 M5 the only "true" M5 to be 100% BMW GmBH built ? The rest are out of Dingolfing...no ?

Regardless, there's a difference between asking price and selling price.

Does anyone know of an E28 M5 selling for the 18-19K range in the last year ?

Maybe I'm just biased because I now own one...but after a year of test driving Mcars and shopping, I really thought the E34 was the most amazing to drive. You're all familiar w/ the hyperbole's that come w/ describing the E34 M5, almost all of it is true and deserved.

I didn't quite get that kind of wood w/ the E28 M5's I test drove. Enjoyed them, but compared to the E34...they felt a little fragile.

The 2001 E39 M5 I drove was tight, solid and would've made the best daily driver by a longshot....but the V8 sound didn't quite curl my socks like the E34 did., although I know for sure I'm eventually going to get one with the way prices are falling.

Maybe some opinions from folks who've owned both can chime in, value wise. I just picked up my flame suit from the cleaners....so I'm ready :haha:

Happy New Year's to all..........and here's to a fiscally safe 09.

·
Registered
1,618 Posts
I believe that the market see's the E28 as a true classic, although finding a good one is very difficult. As BMW's first M saloon it has a place in any performance saloon enthuasists garage. The E34's I fear althout amazing cars and well loved by us in the community are misunderstood by the media, and people always go on about the horror stories of EDC, water pumps, radiator failures etc. Yes our cars are expensive to run, but so is a decent home and no car costing UK GBP 58,000 in 1994/5 will ever cost GBP 600 a year to run.

The E34 M5 is an amazing car and until you have owned one, driven one hard across country and on a track you cannot comment on how well it handles in all conditions and is still beautifully over engineered. We just need to promote our cars better and shout the praises to all around who drive utter rubbish.

I am in the US on holiday have a new Cadillac CTS, it is utter s**te...and if I was hear longer would certainly buy an E34 and keep it locally in Florida!!!

·
Registered
183 Posts
I think it's just down to the basics of supply and demand. I suspect that at the moment there are enough cars in the £3-4k bracket to satisfy those who are only interested in ragging them to death or having M5 ownership bragging rights (i.e.tools) - that will keep prices of good cars down as few in the wider market can't see why they should pay more. In the next 2 or 3 years these cars will be gone and that will leave a much smaller pool of cars and prices will rise.

I remember when growing up in the 70's a family friend wrote off half a dozens or so Mark2 jags in a year - they were worth nothing and no-one wanted them (and think of the Sweeney - probably a S-type every other week?!) and while these aren't mega money today, a good 3.8 is not a cheap car.

·
Registered
1,166 Posts
Well, you are not completely correct in the assumtion that E34 is the only real M5. As I believe the E28 was also built in garching and handassembled.
Other factor is that the E28 was THE first M5, and way ahead of competitors- there was no real rival for it. Mercedes came with its 500E several yars after to rival E34 M5.
Also the numbers talk to E28 advantage. Around 1200 for us market and 850 for europe and 140 rhd makes it the rarest of Ms (the E34 M5 touring being the exception)
So supply, demand and cultstatus....

SAkke

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
Richard

we just returned from Florida, where we exchanged our STS for a DTS in Orlando after three days of use. IMO the CTS is one of the best cars to have come from the US in a long time.

On topic

The E28 is also expensive to run, at least more expensive than 3.6 since it has the simplex timing chain which needs replacement whereas the S38 one is double and for life.

As said, the E28 is already in the classic territory and never knew the 'idiot' phase where the E34 is emerging from as we speak. Some years ago, the wrong kind of people drove them so that wreaks havoc with quality and therefore pricing.

When the bad apples fall through, the good cars will appreciate eventually. E36 M3's are already becoming more expensive than last year.

Wout

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm hoping to see the E34 appreciate in the next few yrs as well.

I think what sealed the deal for me in wanting it over any other model was seeing a Diamondswartz in the wild 2 summers ago. I was in San Francisco running along the bay near the airport ( killing time before a meeting ) when out of a box building garage comes out not only an the above black E34 M5 but an Carbon Black E60 M5 in tow.

He must have had a Supersprint exhaust as it sounded louder than my stocker, but the sight of the E34 shiny as new was awesome !

Off Topic:

I've spent an afternoon with an 03 CTS-V and it was a hoot to drive. The rear end was somewhat pathetic when pushed from a dig due to the archaic solid rear axle, so axle hop was hilarious,but other than that, it had superb power,above avg handling and really really good brakes. The sound system was out of this world as well.

I think they've gone to independent multi-link rear ends now...so I'm sure its made the car a contender. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage. Northstar V8's have been great engines from the beginning.

·
Registered
341 Posts
Since 1992 I have owned and driven on a daily basis both the E28 and then since 1997 E34 M5.

Both to my mind are extremely good drivers cars with no electronic interference (the E39) is a great car but too easy to drive and therefore lacks involvement by comparison. I would however stress for use in the UK. Were it Germany the E39 makes greater sense.

I found the E28 a raw experience, quite E30 M3 like. The E34 is far more sophisticated though less involving (than the E28), the extra weight of the E34 is not to its benefit. But I do prefer the 3.8 engine and the stiffer chassis.

However to values I believe it is a matter of numbers, there were only ever 187 E28 M5's imported to the UK and it rightly received good reviews from the testers especially in comparison to any other car available at the time. With ABS and the computer it was quite advanced in a very understated way.

The E28 really can be enjoyed at far more socially accepted speeds along the back roads than the E34. I agree that the prices of the E34 will remain low until numbers drop and unfortunately many will be sent to the crusher. Perhaps best not to get concerned on values - except as a way to balance the high cost of running them, they are such good 'driving' value at the end of the day.

Even though prices are higher than E34's they are still not a car that sells quickly, over the years there have been many that have 'stuck' in the selling columns ever since they were new.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I'm hoping to see the E34 appreciate in the next few yrs as well.

I think what sealed the deal for me in wanting it over any other model was seeing a Diamondswartz in the wild 2 summers ago. I was in San Francisco running along the bay near the airport ( killing time before a meeting ) when out of a box building garage comes out not only an the above black E34 M5 but an Carbon Black E60 M5 in tow.

He must have had a Supersprint exhaust as it sounded louder than my stocker, but the sight of the E34 shiny as new was awesome !

Off Topic:

I've spent an afternoon with an 03 CTS-V and it was a hoot to drive. The rear end was somewhat pathetic when pushed from a dig due to the archaic solid rear axle, so axle hop was hilarious,but other than that, it had superb power,above avg handling and really really good brakes. The sound system was out of this world as well.

I think they've gone to independent multi-link rear ends now...so I'm sure its made the car a contender. I wouldn't kick it out of my garage. Northstar V8's have been great engines from the beginning.
cts-v has never had a solid rear axle, it has an IRS unit.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #9

·
Registered
3 Posts
My bad then.

I wonder why it suffers so bad from axle hop ?

it's a design flaw on the vehicle - the rear end is the weakest link. The vibration caused by the hop has led to some rather spectacular differential failures on the car, unfortunately.

There are some aftermarket braces that aim to correct the issue, but the jury is out as to whether these devices merely re-direct the vibrations elsewhere and cause a different sort of rear end damage.

·
Registered
840 Posts
The New CTS is actually a great vehicle, though. Needless to say, the new V is a marvel of engineering and a sensational value for money.

·
Registered
840 Posts
If you think the CTS-V is a marvel of engineering, then check out the new duramax diesel:

New GM 4.5L Duramax diesel V8 unveiled - LS1TECH

I do not buy diesel trucks, but this engine is going to outclass ford and cummings.
Wow! ....Talk about different. Only thing I worry about is those Piezo Crystal Injectors...Those things are going to be sooo expensive when you finally have to replace 'em.

Impressive, nonetheless.

·
Registered
2,540 Posts
I am sorry, but how did this turn into the Monster truck forum? The e28 is a great car and dont get me wrong, I do love them. I like the them both, but IMO the e34 has a better suspension and makes for a better drive.

·
Registered
230 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Wow! ....Talk about different. Only thing I worry about is those Piezo Crystal Injectors...Those things are going to be sooo expensive when you finally have to replace 'em.

Impressive, nonetheless.

I don't know about everyone else's E34 M5.....but mine came w/ the rare Dylithium Crystals and Flux Capacitor option. The OO chose it over the heated seats, or was it the seated heats package :biggrinbounce:

·
Registered
840 Posts
I don't know about everyone else's E34 M5.....but mine came w/ the rare Dylithium Crystals and Flux Capacitor option. The OO chose it over the heated seats, or was it the seated heats package :biggrinbounce:
:7:

·
Banned
1,449 Posts
Cute.

The E28 is lighter and for me, that makes it a better drive. Particularly with a Dinan Stage III suspension.
How much lighter?

·
Registered
131 Posts
An E28 M5 weighed 1470kg, the E34 M5 (3.8) was 1720kg. Obviously these figures are only approximate as various options would alter the weight by varying degrees.

For info, the E39 M5 weighed in at 1795kg and the E60 M5 at 1830kg.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts
About this Discussion
19 Replies
12 Participants
Lloyd666
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing