BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
108 Posts
I know quite a lot about that M5. Can fill in anyone who wants to know about it. I nearly bought it a month or so ago, but decided to walk away from it due to some history on it.

P.S. The owner/seller is a nice guy. It’s on consignment at that dealer. It was listed at over $17k a few weeks ago.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Here’s a folder of photos I either received or found on my own...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_wcXe5RF8QlYTdmaFZKVFM3OHM

I also have a number of photos of service receipts, but I don’t want to share those without the consent of the current owner. He will probably share them with you if you ask.

Cliff notes - it was driven at high speed driving events regularly by a previous owner. Some part of the cooling system did let go on-track but that owner reported that he shut it down before it got hot. It was totally repainted by that owner. I found this info out on my own by reaching out to previous shops that worked on the car.

·
Registered
168 Posts
Here’s a folder of photos I either received or found on my own...

https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B_wcXe5RF8QlYTdmaFZKVFM3OHM

I also have a number of photos of service receipts, but I don’t want to share those without the consent of the current owner. He will probably share them with you if you ask.

Cliff notes - it was driven at high speed driving events regularly by a previous owner. Some part of the cooling system did let go on-track but that owner reported that he shut it down before it got hot. It was totally repainted by that owner. I found this info out on my own by reaching out to previous shops that worked on the car.
Was this the history on it that caused you to walk? Any rust?

·
Registered
108 Posts
Was this the history on it that caused you to walk? Any rust?

I walked not because of any one particular issue, but based on the accumulation of the following points, as compared to the other E34 M5’s that were available at that time in a similar price range:

- The car had been tracked - I don’t know how extensively, but often enough that the shop I spoke to referred to the car as that owner’s “track car”. They were very familiar with that owner, knew him by name, and he is still a customer of theirs today. For me, as a track car, it may have been driven hard, lots of RPM, lots of high-RPM shifting, etc etc. None of this is fatal to the car, but when you’re choosing between a couple cars, would you choose one that had been driven gently, or one that had been tracked (all other things being equal) ? Yes, some people drive manual transmissions poorly which can be detrimental as well. It’s a personal decision.

- It had a situation where some part of the cooling system let go. I don’t know which part.... a hose, a radiator, whatever. I was told it was while the owner was on track at a driving event. He reportedly told the shop that he immediately came in to the pits and shut the car down, that it did not overheat. Did it get only slightly hot? Did the needle get just shy of red? Did it get into the red but no obvious ill effects were suffered? Did the head warp? It was not removed to be checked, I know that. Is the head gasket now on its last legs? I don’t know. But ultimately, another unknown, another thing to think about and consider when you’re comparing cars to purchase.

- It had been totally re-painted. The current seller did not apparently know that until I told him (after I found the old For Sale ad). I don’t know if it was re-painted due to an accident, or just because single-stage Brilliant Red paint from the ‘90s can oxidize heavily if left in the sun etc. Was it a good quality repaint or a cheap “I’m about to sell this car” repaint? I don’t know. Was it re-painted with single stage paint or a base/clear combo, or what? I don’t know. Was all the trim and glass removed, etc, or was the car just masked off in-situ and then sprayed outside under a pop-up tent? I don’t know. There were no receipts in the receipt binder, I was told. So, another unknown/comparison point to think about.

- This car is a 1992. US 1992 M5’s came with a 3.73 differential. M5’s were already geared long for American roads when they were equipped with a 3.91. The 3.73 only exacerbates that long gearing. If I had bought this car, I would have wanted to swap it out for a 3.91. Go looking for a large case 210mm 3.91 LSD for an E34 M5, and you will discover that they are far and few between, and somewhere in the vicinity of $900-$1000 right now. Another comparison point.

- The car was priced at ~$17,900 at the time. I was talking to the seller regularly and trying to get him to bring the price down, but he was fixed at that time at around $16k.

- For comparison purposes, one of the M5’s I was considering at that time was a 1991 (3.91 rear end), had ~20k less miles, extensive service records, reportedly street driven only, no known or suspected history of an overheat, etc etc, and was priced similarly.

So, I decided this car wasn’t for me and I went with one of the others that were on the market at the time.

Regarding rust, this red one had no rust that I could detect from any of the photos that I saw. If I had decided to pursue the car further, I would have either gone the route of a full PPI, or flown out there myself to look it over. So I can’t say for sure what state the body is in - but I got the impression that the car was clean and “rust-free”, as they say.

I also cannot say that this is a bad example of an M5. It seems like a nice one, actually. It seems presentable. It seems to be in decent condition, unknown history notwithstanding. If it had been priced at $13k when I was looking at it.... who knows? Maybe I would’ve bought it. The value could be there at $13k, being that there aren’t many of these cars out there for sale and that prices are going up.

The owner/seller is a really nice guy. I would feel comfortable that he is honest about whatever he tells you. But I was looking more at what was unknown about the car, as compared to what else was out there for sale at the time.

·
Registered
509 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thank for the additional info. This is about an hour drive from me which is what caught my attention. I was not actively looking....I promise. There are not many around here, I have never seen another on the road. I know of one in Greensboro, but that is all.

The car looks in decent cosmetic shape, backed up by the pictures you linked. With the experience of buying a very similar car, I would know EXACTLY what to look for that could double or triple that asking price (which is not too bad, at least as a starting point).

·
Registered
168 Posts
Wow, great reply, thank you! I also agree about the track car situation -- I would rather this was the car the owner drove to the track while his team brought the race car!

·
Registered
108 Posts
Thank for the additional info. This is about an hour drive from me which is what caught my attention. I was not actively looking....I promise. There are not many around here, I have never seen another on the road. I know of one in Greensboro, but that is all.

The car looks in decent cosmetic shape, backed up by the pictures you linked. With the experience of buying a very similar car, I would know EXACTLY what to look for that could double or triple that asking price (which is not too bad, at least as a starting point).

If you’re interested in the car, shoot me a PM with your number - I can share the service record info that I was given with you. I just don’t want to post the pics of the service records here on the forum because they do have that owner’s info on it. I wouldn’t want the same done to me. But I can tell you what they say.

Wow, great reply, thank you! I also agree about the track car situation -- I would rather this was the car the owner drove to the track while his team brought the race car!
I agree. Who knows... maybe it was one or two-time thing. But the one shop in Kansas made it sound like it was a regularly-tracked car. And, maybe the owner was a gentle driver who just wanted to take it around on parade laps. I don’t want to cast a bad light on the car. I just want to share all the info that I was given so that whoever can make an informed decision on the car. If you’re a guy who can take apart anything at home and fix it with bubble gum and duct tape like MacGyver, then you might be all over it.

·
Registered
108 Posts
P.S. I did find the previous owner (from New York) on Rennlist. He’s an active member there, and therefore a Porsche guy. But he did not have the car long, and I did not talk much with him on the car as I had already moved on from it. He’s not the one that track-drove it and so on, although he too might have, I just don’t know.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
About this Discussion
9 Replies
4 Participants
Bleedsblue
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing