BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
74 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everyone. I was just wondering if there would be some of you who would be interested in Carbon Fiber Driveshafts for your E39 M5s.
I just spoke to a local manufacturer for a CF driveshaft for my GC8 track car, and realized I have a driveshaft for the Beast that I just parted out. One-off driveshafts are quite pricey but if the order is 5 or even 10 and up the price comes down quite considerably.
I am sure a one piece CF driveshaft would free up quite a bit of power. BTW, I don't want to upset any vendors or moderators; this would be strictly for no profit. I am not trying to make money off of it. Just curious…

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Let's hear how the manufacturer intends to avoid the problems with prior versions CF E39 M5 driveshafts, which were shredded so badly at the start of the 1/4 mile that in one instance, it set off all the airbags in the car!

I would love for this to become a reality, but my understanding--absolutely could be wrong--is that it is very difficult to make a two-piece CF DS that will withstand 500 ft lbs. of torque or higher. Please prove me wrong, and I'll be no. 1 in the group buy, as I currently am in the market for a new DS.

--Peter

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Question.... Does it have to be 2 PC? Why not one? Reinforced with more layers? Just a question.. Don't beat me :)

Let's hear how the manufacturer intends to avoid the problems with prior versions CF E39 M5 driveshafts, which were shredded so badly at the start of the 1/4 mile that in one instance, it set off all the airbags in the car!

I would love for this to become a reality, but my understanding--absolutely could be wrong--is that it is very difficult to make a two-piece CF DS that will withstand 500 ft lbs. of torque or higher. Please prove me wrong, and I'll be no. 1 in the group buy, as I currently am in the market for a new DS.

--Peter

Sent from AutoGuide.com App

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Question.... Does it have to be 2 PC?

Yes. Why? As my wife always says, "It's too long". hiha

I'm kidding, she never says that. :sad1:

Enter rao to tell us why it can't be one piece.......:byee55amg

·
Registered
6,014 Posts
I get the same thing :rofl:

The distance between the transmission and the differential is too long for a one piece drive shaft, at least for one that won't vibrate quite a bit and be likely to fail

--Peter
500 ft.lbs. :eek: why even bother :rofl:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
I get the same thing :rofl:

The distance between the transmission and the differential is too long for a one piece drive shaft, at least for one that won't vibrate quite a bit and be likely to fail

500 ft.lbs. :eek: why even bother :rofl:

PLEASE NOTE THAT I DO NOT OWN AN M5 AND THIS POST IS NOT INTENDED TO BE ARROGANT. PLEASE READ THE IMPORTANT REVISED DISCLAIMER THAT APPLIES TO THIS POST

I was trying to be as inclusive as possible!

--Peter

·
Banned
140 Posts

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Everyone read this and tell me you can't make a carbon fiber drive shat that handles 500hp......

ACPT : Products : Composite Driveshafts
No one said that you can't make a CF driveshaft that will handle 500hp. What I raised was the issue of whether a reliable CF driveshaft could be made for the E39 M5 that handles 500+ ft. Lbs. of torque. Previous iterations were shredded at the drag strip by one of the D/A twins, which probably lays down 600+ ft. lbs. My understanding is that a one piece would be too long given the distance between tranny and diff in the E39 M5. Would love to be proven wrong!

--Peter

·
Banned
140 Posts
Well if you read the above link I provided you will see they are saying they can make a drive shaft that handles 2200 ft-lbs...... excuse me for the incorrectly working earlier I mean ft-lbs.

·
Registered
6,940 Posts
Here is another example of a carbon fiber drive shaft that handles will over 600ft -10

I have put in an inquiry for quite 10+ for a drive shaft for the e39 I will advise when I know more.

The Driveshaft Shop | DODGE 2009-2012 LC Challenger SRT8 / R/T Automatic 1-Piece Carbon Fiber CV Shaft - Challenger - Dodge - Domestic Driveshafts
Very first line of the product description in your link.....

"The Challenger has a much shorter wheel base so it allows us to do something the sister cars (LX) can not, which is make a single Carbon Fiber shaft with a CV to stabilize the harmonics."

Your first link states the drive shaft is for Talons and Eclipses, those vehicles are CONSIDERABLY shorter than the E39 M5. As Peter stated, length is the issue.

But hey, if you have experience in this field, have one made and let us know how it goes!!! It would be fantastic if you could make one work.

Reactions: herrubermensch

·
Registered
8,722 Posts
Well if you read the above link I provided you will see they are saying they can make a drive shaft that handles 2200 ft-lbs...... excuse me for the incorrectly working earlier I mean ft-lbs.
It's not just wording. The issue is the E39 M5 has a long two-piece CF driveshaft. If the driveshaft shop says it can make a two-piece CF driveshaft for the E39 M5 that handles 2200 ft lbs., that will be surprising to me, but great!

--Peter

1 - 20 of 60 Posts