BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

What color leather seat skins do you need?

• O6SW O5SW Black Nappa Point

Votes: 10 10.4%
  • M1SW M3SW Black Nappa Heritage

Votes: 17 17.7%
  • O6IM O5IM Imola Red Nappa Point

Votes: 11 11.5%
  • O6SS O5SS Silverstone / Black Nappa Point

Votes: 12 12.5%
  • M1EG M3EG English Green Nappa Heritage

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • O6LB O5LB Le Mans Blue / Black Nappa Point

Votes: 9 9.4%
  • M1CR M3CR Caramel Nappa Heritage

Votes: 37 38.5%

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 132 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I can figure out manufacturing and color matching, who's interested in new E39 M5 leather seat skins? Not a commitment, just polling interest.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Not sure yet. Still talking to leather suppliers. Will update everyone when I get all the facts together.

·
Registered
134 Posts
I'd pay for a full set of caramel (front, rear, headrests).

There are some online places that makes replacement seat leathers - but I can't find one that does e39s. It's in next year's plan to have the interior leather redone, so this could be timely.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I'm going to do caramel font seats first, then other colors. Will take other requests as they come.

·
Registered
214 Posts
I think you got your answer. If you can make the seat covers match OEM you will have a lot of interest in caramel as long as the price is reasonable. That may be the better question, how much would people be willing to pay for new caramel seat covers for front seats? Not sure how much demand there is for rear seats, plus for the rears you would be dealing with folding and non-folding versions, so makes it more complex.

·
Registered
134 Posts
Fronts are where you need the most work, but people may just want to do a full refresh (like me).

Once you get a template together for each seat (sport and lux, folding and not) then you can just cut them out quickly and stitch them up.

Heck, I'd pay for some extra leather scraps in order to re-do my door inserts back to caramel (on black doors).

In short, I'd be less interested if it's *just* the front seats, because I would still have to get a local guy involved to re-do the rears, and if I have different sources, then I'd potentially have mis-matched leather front and rear, etc... so I'm back to where I am today. Buy a used full set and recolor the leather, or have the existing seats recovered.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Once you get a template together for each seat then you can just cut them out quickly and stitch them up.
Ha! I wish it were that easy. Would take time to learn how to set up the sewing machine right, get the proper stitch etc. Instead of On The Job training, I'm talking to a leather guy that does this for a living so we can get professional looking results.

To clarify, I plan on doing full sets and other bits. Starting slow with just the front seat skins for now.

Leather matching is the key. Best case its an off-the-shelf current brand, bought by the hide. Worst case one of the big three German leather OEMs would have to do a limited run with some minimum order quantity. I'm working with a US leather wholesaler on figuring this out. Also have some samples coming in for "by the hide" options.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I'm starting to get leather and labor quotes in. To sanity check this whole idea, how much would you guys reasonably pay for one leather seat cover?

·
Registered
4,058 Posts
I think it is great you are (potentially) doing this. I'm probably not the best person to weigh in because 1) I don't need new leather and 2) if I did I'd probably be willing to pay A LOT for it.

With that disclaimer, as I recall, when the caramel front skins were available from BMW, I think they were $700ish a piece...(headrest covers not included).

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
We all only wish new leather was $700 per seat:

From RealOEM, our seats

From ECS Tuning

Your total: $1944.85 per front seat

I'm getting pricing back from leather suppliers of ~$300 per hide. It takes one hide per front seat (from what I know right now). Upholstery shops are quoting $75 to $100 per hour and figure 8 hours to make a seat. So we're at $900 to $1100 COST alone to fab one seat skin. Adding even 20% mark up for the time trouble of doing all this, we're at $1,300 per seat.

Not sure anyone would be willing to pay that. Let me know otherwise.

I might just end up saving $1700 per seat by buying hides and sewing my own. I'll post DIY instructions here for any other brave souls.

·
Registered
2,191 Posts
Personally, I'd just upgrade to some reclining Recaros when new seat leather need arises. Take a ton of weight out of the car, more comfort, more support.

Then again, I have black leather... which makes it easy/cheap to match.

The Recaro Sport Topline has always seemed like the perfect M5 seat to me-- and I've always wanted a cooled seat.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Revisit this thread from Never-Lay-Up. He got both his caramel fronts done for $800 using Infinity leather. If you find a closer to OEM caramel, drop ship it to MS and have them do it.

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Thanks. Found that one while researching. I'm going to follow this one to a conclusion. See if I can get a good DIY solution going for everyone. These cars are awesome machines. They deserve to be kept looking great.

1 - 20 of 132 Posts