BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I am trying to figure out who here tracks there M5 and what there mileage is. There is a bunch of discussion on rod bearings and failing engines so i am trying to see who is running track events with higher mileage.

Thanks

Ryan

·
Registered
3,566 Posts
I've tracked mine several times, from 2,000k to 30,000k. No problems.

·
Registered
377 Posts
I'm getting ready to track mine for the first time. I'm at 80k miles and have driven fairly hard since I bought it. In fact, the track might be easier on it than my street driving :).

·
Registered
939 Posts
Since I bought the car with 27500, I tracked it once and now have 38500.

Since joining my local BMWCCA chapter, thinking about tracking once or twice a year with the local chapter.

Are you just looking for just tracking or autocrossing as well? If yes, then I have autocrossed six times. Depending on the course I can get to pretty high RPMs in 1 and 2.

·
Registered
135 Posts
I track mine about 4 times a year running 30min. sessions for about 6 sessions each of the four days. No issues related to tracking so far and I'm at 83K miles. I might end up tracking it less now that I have a new found track toy I've started getting in to................a 125cc Shifter Kart.:biggrin:

·
Registered
2,099 Posts
Checking my records, I did 16 track days in the e39 M5, rangeing from 6k miles to over 70k. Plus throwing in a coulple of autocross days, that was at least 1500 miles on track. I used track pads, R compund tires, and had minor suspension upgrades so it was pushed harder than stock. I had no major engine problems but was starting to develope minor ones. Oil residue in one of the air filter boxes scared me though. I traded the car before that one was fully diagnosed/solved.

·
Registered
7,542 Posts
I've tracked (VIR full, grand, south) and autocrossed the beast many times over the years. Won the 2005 BMWCCA Oktoberfest autocross class 7A on VIR's Patriot course and have FTDs at the last two CCA autocrosses at the Performance Center. Properly setup, the car is a blast to drive; however, it is really a major pig weight-wise. I slowly took care of issues such as going to Stoptechs since even with HT-10s, open brake ducts and Motul fluid, the stock front brakes were destroyed at VIR (running hot laps with R-comps), melted the dust covers and one of the caliper piston seals.hiha Weight is the enemy.

My M5 now has 46k miles on it, runs perfectly, uses very little oil, etc. I've changed oil at 5-7k intervals, and at 30k I changed the tranny and diff lubes.

·
Registered
1,544 Posts
My M5 regularly goes to the Nurburgring for a few days at a time, and will do around 16 laps a go.

cheers

·
Registered
377 Posts
Speaking of everyone tracking their cars, what are some weak points that could use some proactive maintenance?

I've ordered new UUC transmission bushings and rear sway bar brackets , have upgraded to a BBK, installed the Zionsville Super Duty Radiator and will have the car looked over by someone other than myself before I take it out on the track.

·
10,456 Posts
i track mine as well, not as often as i used to, but it still gets out for a couple weekends per year. I've owned it from 38k to 99k today, 5 years, so what, maybe 25 weekends on the track. Bounced off the rev limiter more than a few times, also thinking about the rod bearing replacement.

·
Banned
2,164 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thats kind of where i am at. i am always bouncing off the limiter when i am sideways. i drive it hard and she seems to like it. I do not have any problem with it what so ever. No oil consumption either.

After all of these rod bearings threads i have thought about swapping them out since I have 73k on the S62. I am trying to see who tracks there car with over 75k and if they have had any problems. I really do not feel like throwing a rod. i still think everything will be fine but I just need some others experience to keep me sane

Ryan

i track mine as well, not as often as i used to, but it still gets out for a couple weekends per year. I've owned it from 38k to 99k today, 5 years, so what, maybe 25 weekends on the track. Bounced off the rev limiter more than a few times, also thinking about the rod bearing replacement.

·
10,456 Posts
Same feelings, i've ran different software over the years, powerchip, discovery auto, and now dinan, so 7400 rev limit, have seen it more times than i remember. (though i'm not 'always' bouncing off of it!) Car runs very well, and it does seem to run better when it's being pushed hard, uses very little oil, but at 99k miles, these rod bearing posts worry me. Oil analyses have always looked good from a metallic wear standpoint. I should really install an oil pressure gauge, for a little more piece of mind.
i don't track as much as i used to, but more due to time vs concerns about the car blowing up. Had it out at laguna seca a couple weeks ago, and did make an effort to keep the revs below the 7k mark, shifting around 6500, but with the cams, headers etc, it's still pulling nicely at that mark.

Mike

Thats kind of where i am at. i am always bouncing off the limiter when i am sideways. i drive it hard and she seems to like it. I do not have any problem with it what so ever. No oil consumption either.

After all of these rod bearings threads i have thought about swapping them out since I have 73k on the S62. I am trying to see who tracks there car with over 75k and if they have had any problems. I really do not feel like throwing a rod. i still think everything will be fine but I just need some others experience to keep me sane

Ryan

·
Registered
228 Posts
Mine has around 138 kkm on the meter, and is on the track 2-3/summer. Apart from the natural point of that the tyres get some bearting, is the brakes/pads. If I'd be on the track more I'd probably upgrade to some slightly harder pads. Best would be to upgrade the discs as well to slotted/drilled/dimpled, but these are hard to find. The whole set would be optimal (Brembo, Stoptech...), but $$$. Wortwhile to check brake fluids (age and amount) and engine fluids as well (oil, coolant)...and yes I have the TDC sway bars brackets as well. Judgmentally the sway bars brackets and strut bars didn't affect the handling that much, while the coilovers made a huge difference.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Hard not to melt the brakes away, tracking a 4000+ lb car--especially at Mid Ohio where the E39 M5 probably hits 140+ mph going into the braking zone at the end of the back straight! Kudos to the big M5 if they can withstand track day punishment!!

My old street/track car was a '93 Mazda Rx7 R1. At 2750 lbs and modded to 300 rear-wheel hp, that car was the fastest road course car I'd ever had--but it was fragile, and susceptible to "heat stroke".

My current E36 M3/4-door is not nearly as modded as the old "FD" Mazda, but it's much more reliable and durable (no turbos, means less engine heat, and no "heat stroke"). Despite the M3 being 425 lbs heavier than the Mazda, its only 1 to 2 ticks slower than the lithe, fast FD.

I can't fathom what piloting an M5 through Mid O's twisties must be like--I imagine somewhat like navigating a naval destoyer versus a piloting a corvette (you know the real corvette--a small light, fast gunboat) LOL:haha:
Did 4 track days last year at Mod-Ohio with about 46k on the car (mpg 7). No problems other than the cost of Brake Fluid, Brake Pads, Hotels etc...

·
Registered
1,599 Posts
Hard not to melt the brakes away, tracking a 4000+ lb car--especially at Mid Ohio where the E39 M5 probably hits 140+ mph going into the braking zone at the end of the back straight! Kudos to the big M5 if they can withstand track day punishment!!

I can't fathom what piloting an M5 through Mid O's twisties must be like--I imagine somewhat like navigating a naval destoyer versus a piloting a corvette (you know the real corvette--a small light, fast gunboat) LOL:haha:
Only hit 130mph on the back straight, probably due to my inexperiance :). The M5, while not built for the track, holds its own very well. Changing to the Dinan suspension made a big difference as did opening up the brake ducts.

Have you driven an E39 M5? If not try one, my guess is you will be surprised by its capabilities.

As we all know, the M5 is a sleeper, even on the track.

·
Registered
3,324 Posts
1/4 mile and road courses for me also..I always maintain my cars in tip top shape condition since I drive them so hard , so far just a few swaybar brackets , brake pads,oh and a clutch so far so good..

·
Registered
19 Posts
Have you driven an E39 M5? If not try one, my guess is you will be surprised by its capabilities.
The M5 is the ultimate sleeper, even more so than my '97 M3/4-door LOL. I've test-driven an E39 M5 around the burbs, but no track time--although as a former BMW CCA/PCA DE instructor I was offered to drive a student's but I refused (I usually refuse unless I'm really pressured by my students--ie, they really want to know what their cars can do at full speed on a track).

1 - 20 of 32 Posts