BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

41 - 60 of 73 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
It's not the bulb but the actual rings themselves that causes this due to the way the optics are with the rings. You have to remember that the inside rings are where you install your bulb and then the rings are lit from the inside rings to outside rings. You can place a HID 6K light in there and it won't push the light to the outer rings much more than your current bulbs. On the new LCI LED lights and the ORION lights they are LED lights themselves and not rings that light up with a bulb so they will be much brighter and white. Unless you plan on cutting into your headlights the Cree 20W LED type bulbs will be the best we get or as some others suggest with the Halogen Type of Bulbs.

There are LUX/MTECH purchasers who will swear up and down that their brands are the best CREE LEDS on the market and the brightest. The ebay ones that are CREE LED's and even GP Thunder CREE 20/25W LED's are the same with perhaps less design thought into the resistor and bulb carrier but once it is tucked away it is tucked away. Some complain about the Radio Interference with some of the EBAY AE's with the resistors.

So far I haven't gotten any INTERFERENCE with mine. Knock on Wood. I have these in the E70 X5 and the E60 M5 without any problems.

I have the EBAY 20W Cree's and I have now made contact with the people who make the GP Thunder brands who are local to me. They have explained a lot to me about lumens, color, etc. and I got LED turn signals, license plate lights, etc.
Great advice ALPINE_M5 - that is really clear. I did think it was likely to do with the ring design but after seeing the angels of other users of the iBright and mtec bulbs i thought maybe its specific to the bulb i purchased as theirs seem to bne more even and visible at all angles etc.

I might just take the plunge and get the Orions and cut open the headlights if i can find a result i like with the bulbs.

Thanks for the info though!

Looms

·
Registered
422 Posts
I'm running these - 2009 LCI model; they're better than both the 6w and 10w LEDs I tried, without the big resistors clattering around in the lightbox. Whiter than stock, just as visible in any lighting conditions. Only thing the LEDs did better was instant on/off -- these fade in/out like the stockers.

Amazon.com: Xenon 7500k H8 35W Plasma-White Quartz Glass Bulb ~ 2 Bulbs: Everything Else

For 8 bucks, you can't go wrong. Try them, see if you like them.
I heard about the gp thunder, you're right they are amazing, problem is they burn easily, i would but at least 3 sets (at 8$ each big deal lol) like that you can replace them when they burn and you dont need to code the car or leave the resistors inside the housing

·
Registered
422 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
I would be curious as the angled approach of the WeissLicht AE lights. I see the conceptual idea behind it. Basically pushing the LEDs and concentrating the light beam towards the rings front end instead of a large disbursement light to fill the rings.

·
Registered
422 Posts
I would be curious as the angled approach of the WeissLicht AE lights. I see the conceptual idea behind it. Basically pushing the LEDs and concentrating the light beam towards the rings front end instead of a large disbursement light to fill the rings.
I tried a similar model on an x6 but with 5 watt cree and same problem inner rings super bright and outter ring super dim. Unless they're extremely bright I don't see how anything should fix the issue

·
Registered
789 Posts
Bimma328 - I tend to agree with you but I do not like to shoot down something unless I have seen it first hand. :) Just being nice about it. I didn't think it would do any better but if someone wants to try why not? ;)

As i mentioned there are people who put in H8 HID kits into the housing and thought they would get Updated LCI LED Rings or Orion's brightness only to be disappointed.

CREE is always innovating and I am sure they will get a little more lumens her watt in the SMD type of LED's but nothing will come close to the LED Rings or ORION's in a bulb form.

I am not complaining as I turn my headlights on all the time when driving anyways :) I did switch to the 6K D1S bulbs and they are really nice and match my LED turn signals and my LED fogs and rings. :) Am I ricer? :)

·
Registered
789 Posts
That will always be the case for the rings that we have. Unless you can get two separate rings and two separate LEDs to light them. They will be that way. Inner than pushing the light to outers.

·
Registered
88 Posts
That will always be the case for the rings that we have. Unless you can get two separate rings and two separate LEDs to light them. They will be that way. Inner than pushing the light to outers.
yes unfortunately.

heres some pics of mine, still way better than the oem yellow

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
Have tried a number of lights in the past. The brightest Trinity Autosport pre-LCI's were first. Then I had the MTech V3's next which were pretty bright but they all pale in comparison to the Orion V4's and the headlight job that Chris at Republic Wraps does. Just love it! Super bright even in daytime. Very clear and distinctive too. At night sometimes people flash me thinking I have my high beams on when I don't :grin yes:

Image.jpg

·
Registered
296 Posts
Whoring this pic out, just because. Love my v4s, by me of course.

·
Registered
296 Posts
Thanks for the kind word sir!

·
Registered
27 Posts
I initially got GP Thunders for my 335xi, but wanted brighter. I ended up getting an HID kit for my angel eye rings. I think they were 40W. They were crazy bright (this was before the CCFL rings came out on the new vehicles). Every time I came to the dealer I got comments from the mechanics, customers etc. They worked great. I loved how when you unlocked the car the rings would come on in an HID fashion and super bright - you almost didn't need headlights. Unfortunately, one day in 100 degree weather, my car was in traffic idling and when I got home the HIDs wouldn't go off when I shut the car off. Something in the relay malfunctioned or melted. I had to have the angel eye relays replaced at the dealership - under warranty :) and I ended up putting the GP Thunders back in which is what the picuture shows.

My M5 I bought with WeissLicht's in.

Attachments

·
Registered
267 Posts
I know Orion V4 is the brightest, but need to open the headlights, which I don't want to. So CREE 20W and MTEC V3 LED are the best (brightest) options for pre-lci (I have 2007 E60)?

41 - 60 of 73 Posts