BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just curious...ive been debating on changing my software...ive gone from the stock, to powerchip stage 1, to AA stage 2...there was def a big difference going from the powerchip 1 to AA-2, however ive been wondering whether i may be able to get more of a gain from one of the newer (ess, powerchip stg-2) ecu tunes...ive heard that the dinan software (like many of their products it seems) is relatively overpriced and not quite worth it, so unless someone tells me different i dont think im even going to consider it...i dont want to change it unless i know that im definitely going to get a considerable gain by doing it, so was just curious as to what anyone else thought, perhaps based on experience?

·
Registered
2,066 Posts
I don't believe there's a huge difference between software. I currently
have Evosport/Powerchip stage II and I was considering ESS but recent
changes made me think twice about switching software.

Concerning Powerchip, they don't claim major hp gains from their
software alone. And if you get the Evosport variety I don't believe
there is any difference between their stage I and II other than CEL
delete (someone correct me if I'm wrong). I do know that they
are actively working to improve the software and will have future
updates available soon. I also like that they are honest about their
claims and not inflating their numbers to sell more software.

Perhaps a reasonable rule to follow is go/stick with software
from a tuner that is willing to retune based on your mod tendencies.
If you like Dinan stuff then it's a must to stick with Dinan software.
If you plan on getting other mods beyond Dinan then avoid their
software. If you like ASR and AA or a Florida person then stick
with AA software. If you like Evosport, RPI, or a California person
then go with Powerchip. If you are looking at future ESS mods
or in a part of the country where you have to ship your ECU
out (i.e. no reflash fee) then you should go with ESS.

I don't think changing from AA2 to another software will yield huge
gains at the moment. It's best to wait and see. As new mods appear
this year it may become clearer as to who to stick/go with. Right
now it's not really worth it.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
The ecu on these cars do not allow for much further enhancement when it comes to more power. It is an adaptive ecu, so BMW has basically already done an amazing job of maximizing the performance out of it. I think the software will give you more benefits in terms of SMG shifting, throttle response, and of course removing the CEL light if modified. I always say to go with the company that makes you feel the most secure and that you know will be there to answert he phone when you have a problem or question. Nothing worse then having a product from a company that is long gone IMO.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
yeah, i only want to change it if there is going to be a distinct difference between the aa and whatever id switch to...i am modified, pretty heavily actually, but ive never had the CEL thankfully...i wouldnt go to dinan because i dont have any dinan parts and dont plan on getting any anytime soon...

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
What were the differences that they noticed? Throttle response, power, etc.? And did they have other mods as well?

We have had a few people switch from AA and noticed the improvement immediately.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok...how much is your software for the m6? And do u make different versions; like I know AA makes one version for normal cars and then another for cars w aftermarket headers etc...

Response, midrange power, and most notably, much better shifting and drivability. I am not aware of their specific modifications other than changing the software.

·
Registered
45 Posts
Ok...how much is your software for the m6? And do u make different versions; like I know AA makes one version for normal cars and then another for cars w aftermarket headers etc...
The Summer Software Special pricing can be found in the thread link in my signature below.

Tuning for headers and/or 8500 rpm rev limit is optional at no cost.

Custom programming such as idle speeds, CEL removal, etc is $200 on this special offer.

·
Video Guru
1,420 Posts
We have had a few people switch from AA and noticed the improvement immediately.
Sorry but I find this hard to believe.
I have AA ecu delimit and my car is very very fast, shifts smoothly and has great throttle response. I've raced many many heavily modified M5's and M6's and I am just as fast. I believe alot goes down to the AA delimit and the adaptive nature of the BMW ecu
Not trying to burst your bubble here but subjective assessments are just that "subjective".

1 - 10 of 10 Posts