BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am getting ready to purchase BMW's extended maintenance agreement for my 02 M5. The agreement extends the "free maintenance" to a period of up to 5 years I think (2 years beyond what was included with the car). Covered items include brakes/rotors and the clutch. Seems like a good deal.

Curious what people have paid for this. I believe you can purchase the agreement from any dealer. I have received 2 quotes: $1600 and $1995 from My-BMW in Seaside and Stevens Creek BMW respectively. Wondering what others have paid for this and from which dealer. Thanks!

Scott

·
Registered
259 Posts
sjfamily said:
I am getting ready to purchase BMW's extended maintenance agreement for my 02 M5. The agreement extends the "free maintenance" to a period of up to 5 years I think (2 years beyond what was included with the car). Covered items include brakes/rotors and the clutch. Seems like a good deal.

Curious what people have paid for this. I believe you can purchase the agreement from any dealer. I have received 2 quotes: $1600 and $1995 from My-BMW in Seaside and Stevens Creek BMW respectively. Wondering what others have paid for this and from which dealer. Thanks!

Scott
Includes clutch???? ??????

·
Registered
136 Posts
i've posted alot of info on this. it officially DOES include the clutch. but you're at the mercy of the dealership to determine if it was normal wear/tear or abuse.

i believe dealer cost is $1494 for maintenance contract. but some have gotten it for $1500. MSRP is under $1700.. but the lowest quote i got was $1795, and up to $2K.

bargain. and you should be able to get between $1500 - 1600.

·
Registered
73 Posts
sjfamily said:

Scott

Scott,
I Just discovered Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo...They are outstanding. Here is part of a recent email that the service director sent me. Yes, I bought it.

"...Ed, I forgot to mention while we were talking that it is possible to upgrade your maintenance to 6yrs 100,000 miles. The cost to you is $1195.00. The maintenance program covers all services, fluid flushes, brakes, clutch, and windshield wiper blades. This is a BMW maintenance program and is valid at any Authorized BMW Dealer in the U.S. The upgrade must be done prior to the expiration of your current maintenance program which is 4yrs or 50,000 miles. If you are interested we can do the upgrade when you are in for service on the 24th. If for some reason you are going to exceed 50,000 miles before the 24th, please let me know as we need to get your car into the dealership.

Thanks

Dana Caldwell
Service & Parts Director
Peter Pan BMW
(650) 294-2123..."

I can't say enough about this dealership. Although Steven's Creek is closer, Peter Pan is a much better service provider!!!

Give Dana a call...he's the BEST!!!

·
Registered
136 Posts
$1195 is if you have a 2003 which already has a 4/50K maintenance warranty. the 2002 and earlier are 3/36K.

the MSRP prices are listed on the bmw owner's circle somewhere. i can't find it right now.

edjsaratoga said:
Scott,
I Just discovered Peter Pan BMW in San Mateo...They are outstanding. Here is part of a recent email that the service director sent me. Yes, I bought it.

"...Ed, I forgot to mention while we were talking that it is possible to upgrade your maintenance to 6yrs 100,000 miles. The cost to you is $1195.00. The maintenance program covers all services, fluid flushes, brakes, clutch, and windshield wiper blades. This is a BMW maintenance program and is valid at any Authorized BMW Dealer in the U.S. The upgrade must be done prior to the expiration of your current maintenance program which is 4yrs or 50,000 miles. If you are interested we can do the upgrade when you are in for service on the 24th. If for some reason you are going to exceed 50,000 miles before the 24th, please let me know as we need to get your car into the dealership.

Thanks

Dana Caldwell
Service & Parts Director
Peter Pan BMW
(650) 294-2123..."

I can't say enough about this dealership. Although Steven's Creek is closer, Peter Pan is a much better service provider!!!

Give Dana a call...he's the BEST!!!

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Do, money well spent.

For 2002s, you can also buy a one year extension for about $550 and then buy a second, additional 2 year extension (about $1200 I think) if you renew before the original maintenance agreement expires. Doing it in two stages costs you about $100 in the end but makes sense if you are on the fence.

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
It's probably still worth it w/o factory brakes and clutch but think about whether you really want those things in your car. I almost immediately went to aftermarket pads b/c I couldn't stand washing my wheels every other day. I'm still on the factory clutch after 50k miles but when it goes, I'm probably going to a UUC clutch despite the expense. So those are the major items that would be under the maintenance contract. But it's probably still a good deal, as dealers charge nearly that much for Inspection II anyway.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks for the info. The idea to purchase 12 months at a time is an interesting one. I am kind of one the fence because my car is low miles (21k) and will likely only see 6k per year for the next 2 years. So 12 months at a time may be the way for me to go.

My strategy is based on the brakes. I am assuming if I do a couple of driving schools, I will need brakes and that will recoup most of the investment in the agreement. It is also insurance for a clutch replacement though I think mine is fine now. I don't when I would be able to get an inspection I or II.

-Scott

·
Registered
4,077 Posts
Scott,

You can buy the first 12 months (up to 50K miles), but then the second extension would be for 2 years or up to 100K miles; only the first installment can be purchased for 12 months (at least that is what I was told).

I would hope the clutch would be covered as well, but after reading multiple threads on this forum, that is very iffy, even with a maintenance agreement.

Inspection I usually comes at about 30K miles I believe, and I think will easily cost over $500 (anyone who has had Inspection I, please comment, as I have not yet).

·
Registered
136 Posts
i dont think you can upgrade 12 months at a time. here are your options:

4/50 BMW Maintenance upgrade to 6/100 MSRP
Model Year 2000 – 2004. 4/50 6/100. 3 Series, Z3 and Z4 Series (except M's) $ 985

Model Year 2000 – 2004. 4/50 6/100.
All other BMW models including M's $1195

3/36 BMW Maintenance upgrade to 6/100

Model Year 2000 – 2002. 3/36 6/100. 6 cylinders (except M's) $1384
Model Year 2000 – 2002. 3/36 6/100. 8 cylinders and M's $1644

3/36 BMW Maintenance upgrade to 4/50

Model Year 2000 – 2002. 3/36 4/50. 6 cylinders (except M's) $ 399
Model Year 2000 – 2002. 3/36 4/50. 8 cylinders and M's $ 449

i found that on the bmwusa site. click on any car, and under Warranty and Services section, you can find the Maintenance Upgrade page. i'm not sure if you upgrade to 4/50, you can upgrade later to 6/100. i have the contract at home and can take a look if needed, but on the website, it says "This upgrade can be purchased at any time during the original Full Maintenance period."

·
Registered
86 Posts
I just upgraded from 3/36 to 4/50 on maint contract on my '02. I was not sure if I was going to keep it longer so it was a good choice. I paid $ 449 here in LA at Century West BMW.

·
Registered
12 Posts
I purchased my 02 M5 at Peter Pan in San Mateo and I believe it was between 1500-1600...well worth every penny paid. Their service department there is incredible.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts