BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just crossed 165000 miles, one week after dropping a few thousand on I2 and accessories (damn those wipers are expensive, and don't get me started on new windshields), and it got me to wondering who among us here has super-high-mile E39s.

I bought my car (MY02) used from Manheim through a dealer friend with 9875 miles on it in 7/02. At the time, I was commuting from Oceanside, CA to Newport Beach daily (110 miles round-trip) for work, and for about six months afterward. Then it was Oceanside to Kearny Mesa (74 miles round-trip) for a year before buying a house close to work - 10 miles RT for a couple years. Then, change jobs, and it's 158 (!!!) miles round-trip daily for 18 months. Now I'm 7 miles from the job and don't expect to be doing any more high-mileage trips except leisure rides to Vegas. But in the meantime I've put on the 165k and she's still going strong. I added a Dinan diff and flywheel early on and had to change my driveshaft once at about 75k, but have changed out no other major components, and have never had a significant failure (except right after I put the diff in - apparently the stock diff relies on a single lightweight bolt that snapped from all the extra torque in the Dinan unit), not a single one. I beat on the car pretty heavily, but don't thrash it, and I do take care of it. I've gone through plenty of rubber and brake dust, my indy (AGA) says that my original stock struts are now basically useless (that's the only real money-item that I haven't sprung for yet, but it's on the list), and it's about to go in for some front-end work because of a bad run-in with a high curb, but otherwise this thing is simply bulletproof.

I think Car and Driver said it best back in 2001: "The most desirable sedan in the world."

It's a keeper.

Of course, now I'm looking for a second ride for weekends... thinking 2006 M Roadster... hmmm.

So who else has beasts with 150k+ on the odo, and what have your experiences been?

Regards,

Tom

·
Registered
1,600 Posts
I am at a mere 110,000.
My Z4 Coupe gets most of my miles these days.

·
Registered
116 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
160 mile commute? That's nuts. I would have invested in a cheap accord or something :)
I seriously considered it, and had the chance to try out some rentals on the few occasions where I was in for service, but the truth is that 95% of my time on the road is spent commuting, and the reason I bought the M5 in the first place was to enjoy my time on the road. It wasn't intended to be a weekend car. Looking back, I can say in truth that it served its purpose perfectly, and I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. Driving it was the one thing I really had to look forward to while dragging myself into the office. Every dime I spent on gas and service because of the long miles was, to my mind and wallet, money well spent.

And, in the end, doing the math, it didn't cost me that much more to drive this thing than it would have to buy a decent beater for the commutes - about $19,000 in gas (125k miles at 20 mpg [I actually got 21.7 mpg over the entire time], average $3/gal for gas) plus a handful of thousand for service and the "catching up" I'm doing now (windshield and front fascia in particular - sandblasted from all the miles up the 5 and 15 corridors), plus insurance - total maybe $30k during that time, or the cost of a good beater. :)

Besides, that company did a nice thing for me and put down my "official" work address as my house, so I was able to deduct a lot of the mileage on my taxes as unreimbursed work expenses. Not nearly enough to cover the costs, but it sure did make me feel better.

The last thing that made me feel better was the ride I bought my ex-wife: a Dodge SRT-10 truck, which, on a good day, with her commuting locally around town, got 8mpg. :1:

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
Good to hear that Tom; thank you for sharing.cherrsagai

I'm at about 140k miles at the moment, but it'll only be 3 months or so until it crosses the 150,000 mark. Like you say, the majority of these cars seem pretty bulletproof and they like to be driven with a bit of enthusiasm. Mine has been faultless, needing only routine maintainance; the clutch, VANOS, and most of everything else is original.

Like you, I use mine everyday and while it isn't the cheapest way to get about the place, the M5 does make journeys a lot more fun. I did about 1000 miles last week - 500 of those was in one day and I enjoyed every one of them. Life's too short to be miserly about it anyway.

Here's to another couple of hundred thousand miles:cheers:

·
Registered
8,153 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
I seriously considered it, and had the chance to try out some rentals on the few occasions where I was in for service, but the truth is that 95% of my time on the road is spent commuting, and the reason I bought the M5 in the first place was to enjoy my time on the road. It wasn't intended to be a weekend car. Looking back, I can say in truth that it served its purpose perfectly, and I wouldn't have traded the experience for anything. Driving it was the one thing I really had to look forward to while dragging myself into the office. Every dime I spent on gas and service because of the long miles was, to my mind and wallet, money well spent.

And, in the end, doing the math, it didn't cost me that much more to drive this thing than it would have to buy a decent beater for the commutes - about $19,000 in gas (125k miles at 20 mpg [I actually got 21.7 mpg over the entire time], average $3/gal for gas) plus a handful of thousand for service and the "catching up" I'm doing now (windshield and front fascia in particular - sandblasted from all the miles up the 5 and 15 corridors), plus insurance - total maybe $30k during that time, or the cost of a good beater. :)

Besides, that company did a nice thing for me and put down my "official" work address as my house, so I was able to deduct a lot of the mileage on my taxes as unreimbursed work expenses. Not nearly enough to cover the costs, but it sure did make me feel better.

The last thing that made me feel better was the ride I bought my ex-wife: a Dodge SRT-10 truck, which, on a good day, with her commuting locally around town, got 8mpg. :1:
Very cool.

And good job on the ex-wife bit :applause:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I have only done 117,000 miles but my beast will celerbrate her 10th birthday in October.

·
Registered
3,533 Posts
95k and going strong

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
178,000 miles the highest on board i THINK and probably the fastest :M5rev::M5launch:

·
Registered
6,958 Posts
sorry to ruin your day - but just gone beyond 230,000 and still going strong.
:eek: I was hoping you would chime in! I think you are still the mileage king kinggf

How long have you owned the car?

Dave

·
Registered
2,409 Posts

·
Registered
1,541 Posts
No, he really does mean 230,000 miles:checkeredflag:

·
Registered
187 Posts
Ho Leesh it

There are some long legged beasts out there. Mine's just done 84000 and is going like a train. some remedial work being done at the stealer today, but is remains the canine's under carriage!

I look forward to running the old girl for a long time based on all of your feedback / mileages.

Cheers

TrickyTrev

·
Registered
78 Posts
:eek: I was hoping you would chime in! I think you are still the mileage king kinggf

How long have you owned the car?

Dave
It is definately miles - i took delivery of the car with 7 miles on the clock on November 19th 1999. Use it most days, lots of motorway miles. BMW warranties probably paid out more than the original purchase price -i extended them until they would not let me anymore about 18 months ago :(

Still beautiful to drive - going to get new coilovers soon. Thought clutch might need doing but this one has lasted 130,000 miles and is still strong (first lasted 100k)

1 - 20 of 23 Posts