BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
205 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Friends: My car is a 2000 Dinan M5. Lately I've been getting the SES light on long drives. It usually takes about half an hour to come on. The codes are always the same (Table 18):

AA: "Secondary air system, flow too low"
AE: "Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #1-4"
AF: "Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #5-8"

Anyone care to hazard a guess what this means? I realize the secondary air system is a mechanism to help the cats warm up faster, which isn't really necessary in the benign climate of northern California. But what about the "air-fuel adaptation" codes?

Thanks, Mike

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
Possibly due to bad MAF. Due a search here on MAF cleaning and try that first.

:cheers:

·
Registered
784 Posts
Ridgeback_Pilot said:
Friends: My car is a 2000 Dinan M5. Lately I've been getting the SES light on long drives. It usually takes about half an hour to come on. The codes are always the same (Table 18):

AA: "Secondary air system, flow too low"
AE: "Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #1-4"
AF: "Air-fuel adaptation, Cyl #5-8"

Anyone care to hazard a guess what this means? I realize the secondary air system is a mechanism to help the cats warm up faster, which isn't really necessary in the benign climate of northern California. But what about the "air-fuel adaptation" codes?

Thanks, Mike
As for the air flow fault, thing one maybe as the result of the carbon build up within the heads.

If the faults are 80 and or 81 then in all likelihood you are dealing with the following;

BMW has a lengthy test however you can do a baseline test for this by removing the primary O2’s and then activate the secondary air pump and feel for good air flow. Good air flow will be similar to a hair dryer strong. If this test fails then the BMW recommended fix is to pull the heads to have the carbon build up removed….

FYI, BMW posses this as a possible concern after 35000 miles….

Take care

Shadowman

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Mike,

I have to ask you about your handle: do you possibly have a Rhodesian Ridgeback?
(A Rhodesian Ridgeback is a very elegant and powerful dog bred for hunting african big game, primarily lions.)

David

·
Registered
369 Posts
shadowman said:
As for the air flow fault, thing one maybe as the result of the carbon build up within the heads.

If the faults are 80 and or 81 then in all likelihood you are dealing with the following;

BMW has a lengthy test however you can do a baseline test for this by removing the primary O2’s and then activate the secondary air pump and feel for good air flow. Good air flow will be similar to a hair dryer strong. If this test fails then the BMW recommended fix is to pull the heads to have the carbon build up removed….

FYI, BMW posses this as a possible concern after 35000 miles….

Take care

Shadowman
Does this affect performance at all?

I get these same codes all the time but the pump seems to work fine.

·
Registered
784 Posts
lwebb12 said:
Does this affect performance at all?

I get these same codes all the time but the pump seems to work fine.

Mechanically speaking no, however because of the SES light and the fact that this triggers an OBD2 failure (smog) in the states that require a smog check it will not pass.

You are correct, the pump typically does work fine but what is happening is the circulation is hampered and in all likelihood will eventually become completely blocked.

Otherwise, you are good to go.

Take care

Shadowman

·
Registered
369 Posts
shadowman said:
Mechanically speaking no, however because of the SES light and the fact that this triggers an OBD2 failure (smog) in the states that require a smog check it will not pass.

You are correct, the pump typically does work fine but what is happening is the circulation is hampered and in all likelihood will eventually become completely blocked.

Otherwise, you are good to go.

Take care

Shadowman
Do the passages for the air become blocked in the heads or is it the pump itself that gets clogged?

The pump does not seem hard to change, but doing the headwork with BMW seems a tad pricey.

·
Super Moderator
10,462 Posts
i thought i rememberd a post where someone was able to force some type of cleaning/decarboning solution thru the smog ports, and was sucessful cleaning them without removing the heads. It was on this board, if someone cares to search!
Mike

1 - 8 of 8 Posts