BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After much searching, I haven't seen anything on this. I replaced my burnt out high beams with Silverstar Ultra H7 bulbs. I put several pair in my Honda's and they are white in those, but yellow in the M5. I'm very confused. Do I also have to upgrade the stock angel eyes? I thought that would be totally independent. I think it was 9006 or 9007 for the Honda's and H7 bulbs for the BMW.

I also plan to replace the angel eyes with white ones once I do more reading. I want all of my lights to match pretty well.

Any thoughts on why my high beams are still yellow?? :confused2

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Try:

OSRAM Night Breaker Plus

or

Philips CrystalVision Ultra

just to name two quickly off the top of my head. Both are EXCEPTIONAL. I prefer the Philips bulb.

The Sylvania Silver Star (Ultra) that is available in retail stores here in the States is an overpriced piece of garbage, in my opinion, that is not even worth the money that you could get from recycling them. Do not confuse the Sylvania SilverStar with the OSRAM Silverstar; the OSRAM bulb is a very high-quality bulb unlike the Sylvania offering.

You are correct; the angel eye and high-beam bulbs are separate units.

·
Registered
3,427 Posts
Halogen headlight bulbs will not replicate the light produced from a HID bulb. Don't waste your time trying different halogen stuff.

-R

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
The Philip CrystalVision Ultra is as close as you are going to get unless you buy cheap blue bulbs.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
So I have Xenon low beams and (I believe) halogen high beams. I'm glad to hear there are better products out there than the one I have been pleased with because it is much brighter than stock on my Honda's. But why would the same bulb be white in my two Honda's and yellow in the M5? When I try the suggested products, are we expecting different results?? It's almost like there are yellow reflectors in there or something. I thought the color would be the same in each car. Do we have HIDs? Feeling a little dumb here...........

·
Registered
194 Posts
If the low beams are xenon HID lamps and the high beams are halogen lamps then the latter will look yellow by comparison to the former.

Halogens are better for flash to pass and other similar situations of short duration than HID lamps. Very bright but yellowed by comparison, in my experience.

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
If the low beams are xenon HID lamps and the high beams are halogen lamps then the latter will look yellow by comparison to the former.

Halogens are better for flash to pass and other similar situations of short duration than HID lamps. Very bright but yellowed by comparison, in my experience.
But I'm still dumbfounded as to why they look white in my two Honda's and VERY yellow in the M5. My daytime running lights (DRL) are set to "on" with my key memory so I am only seeing those lights on, not comparing to the Xenons. The angel eyes are yellow too, and I want to change those as well.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
Because you are looking at them in comparison to the HID low-beams in your M5, as stated above. Did your Honda have any HID lighting?

EDIT: Just re-read your post. By default, DRLs are turned on at a lower voltage. That lower voltage would make them appear VERY yellow.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
194 Posts
But I'm still dumbfounded as to why they look white in my two Honda's and VERY yellow in the M5. My daytime running lights (DRL) are set to "on" with my key memory so I am only seeing those lights on, not comparing to the Xenons. The angel eyes are yellow too, and I want to change those as well.
A lot of DRLs use the high beams at half intensity. If this is the case in your car, then not only will the halogens be more yellow compared to the xenons but their color temp will be even lower than they would normally be during normal operation.

Have you verified the relative color temperature by comparing the Honda lights directly to the M5 lights when you pull the flash to pass lever? This would give you a direct comparison between the two without the confusion of the super white light of an HID light source in your field of vision.

·
Registered
1,760 Posts
I went through this color mismatch too and could not find any halogens to match, especially with DRLs running at 30%. Most halogen H7 bulbs are ~4000K compared to 5000K or 6000K+ HID and angel eyes. Tradin1 is right - you just won't get a good match so don't waste your $. I ended up using NCS Expert to program my DRLs to the euro option so it doesn't even used the high beam bulb, just the low beam + angel eyes.

·
Registered
3,873 Posts
I am telling you guys, try the CrystalVision Ultra. I think you will be surprised unless you are running some crazy color temperature HIDs like 6k+, they are a good match. They are identical to the 85122+ and 85122 D2S bulbs and the 50W 5k Morimoto D2S bulbs. There is no way they compare to "dirty, yellow" halogen bulbs. In my experience it was not a waste to spend money on high-quality high-beam bulbs.

Sent from my Samsung Galaxy S II, Epic 4G Touch using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,285 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Okay, so I had to both turn my lights on AND turn the brights on for the lights to appear white. Just turning the brights on without the low beams apparently does nothing. In DRL mode, they are still yellow. My favorite M certified mechanic at the BMW dealer said he will reprogram my keys for free next time I get service so I will turn the DRL's off. My 60k service is only 1k miles away. Thank you all! :cheers:

·
Registered
861 Posts
Do not confuse the Sylvania SilverStar with the OSRAM Silverstar; the OSRAM bulb is a very high-quality bulb unlike the Sylvania offering.
I'd second this. The Silverstar H1s I've got for my E39 M3 fogs are total whiteness. I order from Power Bulbs out of the UK to make sure I'm getting the real Osram deal.

Don't have DRLs so can't help there.

I went with a kit from EuroDyne in 2009 for the angel eyes, which they no longer carry. Here's the cheapest option I know of now to whiten the AE's: services

I'm in Alexandria, see you on the road sometime.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts