BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have just bought a e28 m5 and i need to buy an exhaust could anyone tell me if the m535 or any other exhausts fit the m5 and also what type of exhaust is best
cheers

·
Registered
49 Posts
Tony

To the best of my knowledge the M5 exhaust is unique, however both "long life" and London Stainless do stainless exhausts.

Mine is fitted with one from "long life". Its OK but I have had one mounting braket fail through a poor weld.

However, enjoy the M5, I still enjoy mine after 7 years of ownership.

regards
dave

1986 E28 M5

·
Registered
471 Posts
Tony,

Sorry for the delay in responding, you are probably sorted out by now.

I would agree with Dave that the exhaust is unique to M5. There are numerous system type variations within the E28 model although many mechanical parts are of course common to the equivalent 6-series.

Whilst BMW parts can be expensive, they are normally long-lived and of course there's no hassle about them fitting properly. Your preferred approach may depend on how long you intend to keep the car.

If its' only the front or rear box that's failed, it might be worth fitting only that box - depends what the other one's like.

Parts support for this model seems good - whilst only fast-moving stuff is held in the UK (a relative term for an M5 - as there were only 187 GB cars), a dealer can get stock from Germany within five working days, sometimes less. You will need:

Front silencer 18 12 2 225 082
Rear silencer 18 12 1 309 004
Welding sleeve (2 off) 18 11 1 177 001
Exhaust pipe extension chrome (2 off) 82 11 9 413 969

There are also numerous brackets, straps and fixings which you may or may not need depending on how badly they are corroded.

Note that the system ex-factory is fitted in one piece, to replace a part-system it is cut in the vicinity of the rear axle, hence the need for the welding sleeves.

Caution - the above numbers have been taken from an old parts CD so you should get the dealer to check the numbers are correct before ordering.

You will need to quote the VIN number when ordering parts - just the last seven digits should be sufficient. On that subject, I'm trying to get a picture of just how many of the 187 GB cars are still in circulation. Perhaps you'd be good enough to send me a PM with the number and the spec of the car?

Kind regards

Mfiver

·
Registered
14 Posts
tonym5 said:
i have just bought a e28 m5 and i need to buy an exhaust could anyone tell me if the m535 or any other exhausts fit the m5 and also what type of exhaust is best
cheers
Tony

Its not a near concours alpine white one is it with cloth trim and about 77000 miles on the clock? I lost out on a gorgeous alpine white car when it was on ebay about 6 months ago. The guy selling it was in Chiswell Green, St albans. It was a cracker

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
the car i have bought is nearly concours it has covered only 3000 miles in the last 8 years it hasn,t been used for 6 years ,it has 104k with black leather and is absolutely perfect ,no rust , its number 45 ,the engine was removed to do the timing chain and the engine bay was cleaned at bmw dealer ,i am just cleaning under neath the wheel arches they are white with no rust anywhere i am thinking of showing the car its that good.

tony

·
Registered
134 Posts
Do you have pictures of this car? Sounds nice.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts