BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone had their differential carrier replaced under warranty due to gear whine? I finally convinced my SA to get it replaced, after the usual response of, "Oh, they all do that". I have to wait until April for the part to arrive, but at least it will be covered under the original warranty, which runs out in March! :cool:

Eric

·
Registered
931 Posts
Ahhh.... the squeeky gear gets the grease! Good for you to get the steal/dealership to agree to replace this :cheers:

·
Registered
251 Posts
Hmmm. My '01 has a whine in the upper gears when cruising (no or slight acceleration - it goes away/changes if I accelerate take my foot off the throttle).

How bad was your whine? I did report it and they did indeed say "normal for M5". My factory warrantee also runs out in March (CPO then for 24mos), I'm wondering if I should assert this be fixed?

Thanks,

Paul

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Paul:

Mine would whine at light to trailing throttle between 45 and 50 MPH, regardless of which gear I am in. I know that gear noise does not improve with time, so I pressed my case. I have bought 3 cars from this dealer, so that may have helped. I think there is a TSB on this problem as well.

Eric

·
Registered
470 Posts
had the same thing, the dealership replaced my diff and it still does it. i am starting to suspect that it's either the tranny or just wheel noise

·
Registered
399 Posts
s62fan said:
Has anyone had their differential carrier replaced under warranty due to gear whine? I finally convinced my SA to get it replaced, after the usual response of, "Oh, they all do that". I have to wait until April for the part to arrive, but at least it will be covered under the original warranty, which runs out in March! :cool:

Eric
Yup absolutely...I fought but finally they gave in..they said it was normal and I said not..I said if they replace with a new and the noise persists I'd pay for the new and if not they'd have to pay...and they did.It was on run out on my previous "00

·
Registered
158 Posts
s62fan said:
Paul:

Mine would whine at light to trailing throttle between 45 and 50 MPH, regardless of which gear I am in. I know that gear noise does not improve with time, so I pressed my case. I have bought 3 cars from this dealer, so that may have helped. I think there is a TSB on this problem as well.

Eric
If it's not your differential, then it's probably your driveline. I replaced my differential last year because that whining (at the same speed) was driving me crazy. $2500 dollars later and the whining was still there. Turned out the driveline was barely bent. $800 later and a new driveline and it's just like new.

Paul

1 - 8 of 8 Posts