BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi guys, Thanks for allowing me to join.

I had my car into the dealers to get a new steering rack.

When i got the car back there's a whining noise from engine bay. I'm only 3 mile or so from the dealers but thought it was just noise from cold start although i never heard it before so just kept going the short distance home.

For some reason my dashcam was working while in their premises and i could see the car was running after they finished the rack and BEFORE they put in any steering fluid ( on video). I could see a brand new 1ltr can of fluid and some from an already opened can being put in. ( i checked and assume it takes 1.2ltrs of fluid). Is it possible the steering pump could be the whining i hear while driving as it would be dry while the car was running and had no fluid. Going into neutral while about 40mph i cant really hear the whining

I have phoned and told them and heading down tomorrow but dont want to look stupid if they tell me its ok to run engine with no steering fluid. I assume even at idling the pump would be running.

Any advise guys would be really helpful as the car purred before and now it just whines like a b&$ch!! It's that snnoying if i was looking to buy it i would walk away 馃槳

Apart from that the destroyed my splitter going onto the ramp then told me about it after they said they repaired, repainted and refitted it but it's a mess still cracked. There is other things like hoses hanging off and cables routed over between airbox and Plenum? intake

Thanks

Registered
When I did the RB job and had the rack completely disconnected (so similar but not a replacement installation) it whined and made some god-awful noises until the system was completely bled and purged of bubbles. I ended up letting the car idle for 20-30 minutes with the cap off of the reservoir. For the first 15 minutes I would just top it off as necessary then the second spurt of time I would go full lock in either direction every few minutes until all noises were gone and I wasn't seeing too many bubbles at surface.

Have you tried anything like this? It's possible the system just wasn't fully bled before being returned to you.

Registered
I have the same hartge style front lip and have the same fitment issue as you. Did you figure out why it is that way?

Registered
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have the same hartge style front lip and have the same fitment issue as you. Did you figure out why it is that way?
It was fitted badly by the dealers. I had it sitting perfect before they got their hands on it.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
When I did the RB job and had the rack completely disconnected (so similar but not a replacement installation) it whined and made some god-awful noises until the system was completely bled and purged of bubbles. I ended up letting the car idle for 20-30 minutes with the cap off of the reservoir. For the first 15 minutes I would just top it off as necessary then the second spurt of time I would go full lock in either direction every few minutes until all noises were gone and I wasn't seeing too many bubbles at surface.

Have you tried anything like this? It's possible the system just wasn't fully bled before being returned to you.
It's back in with them. I have had a master tech from elsewhere advise they have likely damaged the pump as they ran the car dry of fluid. It is a bit more quiet than it was but again as advised the damage is already done. I told them i want a new pump.

Registered
You did say dealer right?
You don't have to post their name, but would you consider sharing the city & state?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts