BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am looking at purchasing an 2000 M5 right now and I will need to get some winter tires for should the deal go thru. I thought I would ask the board which tires are recommended for winter in Colorado and where the best place to order them from is. Thanks ahead of time.

·
Registered
680 Posts
lindenTT said:
I am looking at purchasing an 2000 M5 right now and I will need to get some winter tires for should the deal go thru. I thought I would ask the board which tires are recommended for winter in Colorado and where the best place to order them from is. Thanks ahead of time.
Linden,

Talk to Luke at The Tire Rack. He takes care of everyone on the board. You can do a search for his name and/or Tire Rack to get his direct extension. He will discuss this with you and you will come out happy.

For best winter performance, you need 17" rims. You can't go smaller than that because the wheels won't clear the brakes. You may not even be able to go to 17"s if you have aftermarket brakes on your car. If stock, go 17"s.

There are a couple of OEM wheels from BMW which you can purchase. They are expensive however. There are aftermarket options too.

I chose Borbet Type-Es and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's. I think Blizzaks are great tires and last year, I had absolutely no problem in any of the deep stuff. Some may recommend Pirellis as an alternative.

Quickly, Bridgestone makes LM-22's and WS-50's. The LM-22's are "performance winter tires". The WS-50's have no performance intent and are about getting you through the absolute worst conditions as safely and easily as possible. In Colorado, you may take that into account.

I don't drive my car hard in bad conditions, so the squishier ride present with the WS-50's does not bother me. I'm not taking corners are crazy speeds in the slush and snow so I don't care about any extra performance the LM-22's may offer over the WS-50's. I wanted to make sure I would never get stuck anywhere in anything. So far, mission accomplished.

-Matthew

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
I run Dunlop Wintersports on my 18inch stock rims for the winter. Decent snow performance and handling (for a winter tire). I also reccomend checking with tirerack as they usually offer the best price and shipment method for consumers.

·
Registered
2,482 Posts
MT JTN said:
I chose Borbet Type-Es and Bridgestone Blizzak WS-50's. I think Blizzaks are great tires and last year, I had absolutely no problem in any of the deep stuff. Some may recommend Pirellis as an alternative.

Quickly, Bridgestone makes LM-22's and WS-50's. The LM-22's are "performance winter tires". The WS-50's have no performance intent and are about getting you through the absolute worst conditions as safely and easily as possible. In Colorado, you may take that into account.

I don't drive my car hard in bad conditions, so the squishier ride present with the WS-50's does not bother me. I'm not taking corners are crazy speeds in the slush and snow so I don't care about any extra performance the LM-22's may offer over the WS-50's. I wanted to make sure I would never get stuck anywhere in anything. So far, mission accomplished.
I went the exact same route last winter and could go anywhere with the Blizzak WS-50. The previous year I ran the Blizzak LM-22 and several times I had to make a running start to get up the hill to my house. I decided I had had enough of that crap and swapped to the WS-50. My dry weather handling went to mush, but it was worth it. Besides, whenever we had a long stretch of dry, warm weather, I would just swap back to my summer wheels, making sure to keep an eye on the daily weather report.

·
Registered
264 Posts
Hankook W300's will work. They are 265-35/18's and 235-40/18'sThat's not the perfect size but they will work. Also they're not that expensive. I had mine installed for $900 CAD.

·
Registered
616 Posts
TCM said:
I run Dunlop Wintersports on my 18inch stock rims for the winter. Decent snow performance and handling (for a winter tire). I also reccomend checking with tirerack as they usually offer the best price and shipment method for consumers.
TCM, what are your tire sizes (front & rear) ?

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
I run 18" Dunlop Winter Sports, same sizes as stock, only the rears are 265. Decent all-around performance, as the Dunlops are "Z" speed rated. That way you can do the 150mph blast once in a while this winter :1:

The blizzaks are the way to go in the really bad weather, or if you don't have a 4WD backup car/truck. I ran the blizzaks on my other cars for years. Expect AWEFUL handling, however. Like walking on a trampoline vs. walking on a hard floor.

:wroom:

·
Registered
4,248 Posts
MPRESIV:

The Dunlop Wintersports I am running are 245/40/18 fronts and 265/35/18 rears. Straight line traction is definately compromised, but lateral grip is very good for a snow tire. Anything below 3-4 inches and you should have no problem getting around on the road. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
Last year I purchased my winter set from www.tirerack.com. I went with 245/40/18 on 18x9 MM11-2 wheels front and rear. These were recommended by tirerack and because their supply of 17" wheels and snow tires were sold out. I originally searched for a set of snows in the 245/40 and 275/35 sizes to mount on my OEM wheels since I planned to purchase a new set of wheels and tires for summer use. However the largest size snow tire available last year was 265/35/18 and tirerack recommended against that. This year, Dunlop came out with 275/35/18 snow tire in the SP Winter Sport M3. So now you can mount snows in the OEM sizes on your OEM wheels and maintain the front to rear proportions.

·
Registered
3,176 Posts
MT JTN said:
There are a couple of OEM wheels from BMW which you can purchase. They are expensive however. There are aftermarket options too.
-Matthew
For the M5, the only other wheel style BMW recommends is the M-parallel due to offset and brake clearance.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I would discourage remounting of winter and summer tires on your original wheels twice per year. The wheels will quickly get hacked to bits (scratched & gouged) in a few seasons by tire mounting equipment and mishandling. The best solution is to buy a winter tire and wheel combo from tirerack or somebody for around $1200. These winter wheel combos are narrower and will grip much better in snow and ice. The other benefit is your original wheels will not be ruined by salt.

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
MPRESIV said:
What if I put 245/45HR18 tires on my OEM 18"x9.5" rear wheels?

Will the wheel lip stick out too much?
Bad idea, IMO. If you even touch a curb, you'll destroy a $700 wheel because they will stick out awfully far. How will you know when you're going to contact a curb when the roads & sidewalks are snow-covered? It is cheaper to buy a low cost narrower wheel for winter from tirerack and sell them later. A set of 4 narrower wheels will cost under $800.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts