BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tires in turbines 235/45-17 Dunlop sport maxx RT, ~4mm tread left. But lot of tramlining, so i dont like driving them. I think i keep those for meetings and original look purposes.
Tires in BBS 225/55-16, usual size for e34, but M5 has original winter tire size 225/50-16. I dont drive winter, so im looking summertires. Should i buy 225/50 or 225/55?

Nokian Z G2 225/50-16 412€
Hankook V12 evo 225/50-16 400€
Hankook Ventus prime 225/55-16 440€
Nokian Line 225/55-16 480€

·
Registered
299 Posts
The turbines look great. They are something that only a true E34 nerd would appreciate =p

I really like the look of the 16s though. That combined with the lack of badges and the car is a sleeper - just how it should be.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I mistakenly ran Hankook Ventus V12s. Never again. The sidewalls are way too soft, and as they wear they become tremendously loud.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App
Interesting. I had 18" V12 in my E39 last summer, ~4mm tread left. Low noise and ok handling. Here tramlining is big problem, and if tires are very stiff driving is quite heavy.

I'm using Toyo T1-Sport , good value for money tyre
Japanese tires are usually very bad tramliners (is that correct word?) and also noisy when roads are coarse. Now roads are very coarse because of winter and studded tires.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I have Toyo on my BT,,, and IMO the 1st option ALWAYS....:tonquesmilie:
I found tire test where was Toyo Proxes T1 sport. It was best handling on dry, but very bad on wet. Worst on aquaplaning, below average dry braking and noisy.

Little better and cheaper is Nexen N8000.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
I think the turbines look great!

As regards tyres, I used to run Toyo Proxxes on my OEM rims and I quite liked them but others have complained about soft side-walls. I felt they were fine for road use.

I'm currently running Pirelli P-zeros in 18" which I like. The Michelin PS2 and Continental Sportmaxx are also recommended.

Lantz

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
I'm currently running Pirelli P-zeros in 18" which I like. The Michelin PS2 and Continental Sportmaxx are also recommended.

Lantz
You mean Dunlop Sportmaxx? Michelin PS2 not available, PS3, Primacy 3, Pirelli P7 cinturato and P-zeros is available.
Here Michelin is not very good, in test i mentioned before Michelin was average, even worse than much cheaper Nexen. Also other tests Michelin is usually average or below average.

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
I drive in wet conditions on the Toyo T1-Sport regularly and never been concerned.

I couldn't comment on snow and cold weather performance as we don't get that here.

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
I drive in wet conditions on the Toyo T1-Sport regularly and never been concerned.

I couldn't comment on snow and cold weather performance as we don't get that here.
I dont drive M5 at winter, but often summer weather is +10C and raining. This morning -5C!

·
Registered
3,725 Posts
In jakarta we drive through a lot of standing water and the M5 or my 530 have never given me a scary moment in the wet with the Toyo tyres.

I did hear the Toyos like hot weather , not so good in cold climates. It doesn't get much below 25 deg C here.

·
Registered
1,063 Posts
You mean Dunlop Sportmaxx? Michelin PS2 not available, PS3, Primacy 3, Pirelli P7 cinturato and P-zeros is available.
Here Michelin is not very good, in test i mentioned before Michelin was average, even worse than much cheaper Nexen. Also other tests Michelin is usually average or below average.
Apologies, I actually meant the continental sport contact.

Lantz

·
Registered
2,071 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Im thinking 9inch rear wheels for turbines. Is there any advance or shoud i keep car original? 255/40-17 tires are near same price than 235/45 so no economical issue.

·
Registered
98 Posts
I was just researching rims and there was info that those rims are 20-22lbs which is very light for a factory rim. A couple BBS options added almost 4 lbs.

I think it all depends on how the car will be driven. On the street everyone judges how a car handles by if it makes noise or screeches. Think about it, you are not using 75% of that cars or tires handling abilities on the street and the difference in tires can't really be felt on a onramp or changing lanes. What can be felt is how a good all season tires reacts in the wet.

For what it is worth I bought BF Goodrich Sport tires and they have been drama free and in the little rain we had they held their own. I had Continetal Extreme Contacts on a Benz and though they were the best wet winter tire I ever drove on.

1 - 20 of 70 Posts