1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
Discussion Starter #1

·
Registered
412 Posts
I think the general concensus on the board is that the Michelin Pilot Sports(the other type of tires that BMW uses on M5's) has better grip than the Dunlop's. I have used my Michelins on the track and was very impressed, although they did squeal a lot like most street tires do. One warning, to get maximum traction on the track you have to run the tire pressures near the max rating of 50psi.

There has been some previous threads about the tire subject on this board.

John

·
Registered
257 Posts
Start with the tires that BMW puts on the car: the Dunlop 8080E are less expensive to replace, but have an older tread design (I did not like these tires on my M5, and have never liked Dunlop). The Michelin Pilot Sport are more expensive and have a newer tread design (I like these tires on my M5, they handle water very well, and I have had good experiences with them on a Viper). I think that Bridgestone also has a good tire in the S02, very expensive with a newer design... but I am not convinced that you can beat Michlien (IMHO). And, you always have the BMW dealer network to get you a tire if you can't find it elsewhere.

Dan

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Ashok Arora:
I hear that Dunlop SP 9000's give the best combination of low noise and high wet/dry grip. Can anyone suggest anything better? How are the Bridgestone S-02's?
For what ? For every day driving I think the Dunlops are the best. They are quiter and last longer. For the track, the Michelins are a little better. The best thing to do is keep the Dunlops for every day use and buy some 19 inch wheels with Yokohoma slicks for track use.

------------------

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
So far as I can tell the SP9000 was specifically designed to be a quiet, smooth-riding tire with good wet grip and a longer life than the SP8000. As such it trades away a certain amount of dry grip.

Michelin made a similar tradeoff, though perhaps not as dramatic, between the MXX3 and the Pilot Sport.

I personally would not make that trade, were I going to put new tires on the M5 right now I'd get Bridgestone S-02s.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by JEM:
So far as I can tell the SP9000 was specifically designed to be a quiet, smooth-riding tire with good wet grip and a longer life than the SP8000. As such it trades away a certain amount of dry grip.

Michelin made a similar tradeoff, though perhaps not as dramatic, between the MXX3 and the Pilot Sport.

I personally would not make that trade, were I going to put new tires on the M5 right now I'd get Bridgestone S-02s.

Yeah, and think of the money your estate can make when they fail and cause your death like so many other Firestone/Bridgestone tires. I'm a PI attorney, tell your executor to call me after your funeral.

------------------

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
I've spent a fair amount of time on track flogging various Japanese-made Bridgestones with no difficulty. The top of the Firestone line (the SZ50) is also made in Japan in Bridgestone facilities.

I would not buy any US-made Firestone product. I've held this opinion since the mid-'70s and it's been validated repeatedly over the years.

I've also had a couple of sets of Dunlop SP8000s on track with no problems, but the shop that does a lot of my chassis work doesn't like Dunlops, claims to have seen too many cases of belt slip on tires that have been used hard.

Most SP8000s are Japanese-made, the SP2000Es and SP8080Es come from German plants, Dunlop briefly sold a few sizes of SP8000 that were made in France - they did not feel at all like the Japanese SP8000s, they were greasy and numb.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
For what it's worth: it's been posted before that the S-02 is used as OEM on European-market M5s.

I can understand why it would not be used in the US - it's somewhat noisier than the Pilot Sport or SP8080E.

Can anyone outside the US confirm that their M5 came with Bridgestone S-02s as original equipment?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
If I thought Bridgestone had the same problem as Firestone I would not have purchased them. They are 2 different entities under the same ownership. One is focused on making high performance tires, while the other is making as many low end tires as quickly as possible. Kinda like comparing BMW and Yugo. Just not the same mindset in their work ethic.
Mark

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,096 Posts
Originally posted by JEM:
For what it's worth: it's been posted before that the S-02 is used as OEM on European-market M5s.

I can understand why it would not be used in the US - it's somewhat noisier than the Pilot Sport or SP8080E.

Can anyone outside the US confirm that their M5 came with Bridgestone S-02s as original equipment?
As far as I know all European M5 (at least 2000 and earlier) came with either Michelin Pilot Sport or Dunlop 8080 and for some later models Dunlop 9000.

As for 2001 cars I do not know and I can not recall any earlier article mentioning this.

/Johan

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Bridgestone and Firestone are not completely separate; the top-of-the-line sport Firestones were actually developed by and are made by Bridgestone plants in Japan. I believe some of the truck/off-road Bridgestones are made in the US. And then there's Dayton, which is the lower-line Firestone offshoot.

Goodyear now owns the Dunlop tire name, and has announced that they were going to make it their lower-end tire line. Which, frankly, strikes me as a little backward, but...

Continental bought General some years back, and you now end up with off-road truck tires with the Continental name (e.g. OEM on the Lincoln Navigator) but made in General plants in the US.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Jem, your correct my 8080's are made in Germany.

·
Registered
2,723 Posts
Parkerfe, what the hell's a PI attorney. And don't scare me

Oh! Ambulance chaser!!!!!!!!

------------------
Jim
07/00 M5 Titanium over Red

[This message has been edited by Jim Dolan (edited 04 November 2000).]

·
Registered
542 Posts
I agree with Jim. The whole Firestone thing is a bunch of crap! I get so sick and tired of idiots telling me that my Bridgestone S-02's will fail just because they are related in company to firestone. CRAP!!!! For one, I think that the main problem with the firestones blowing up is that: 1-people dont ever check their tire pressure so they usually run under the vehicle recomended pressure which is stated on a little sticker inside every cars door sill. 2- how hard rubber do you think they need to make to have the tire's last more than 50,000 miles?! Hello?!! can we say no grip? I will NEVER EVER buy a general make tire no matter what brand it is! And even if there was a problem with the firestones and/or Bridgestones, it's not going to happen to the top of the line $200 a piece tire!!!! Quit telling me that my tires will blow up!!!!!!!!

·
Registered
542 Posts
On a more calm note, I can say that the Bridgestone Pole Position S-02's are the best tire I have driven on. I can do an almost full power launch in the wet without getting major wheel spin. Confession-this is on a 97 328i. but, with the previous tires i had Yokahama AVS sport and AVS S-1, I got horrid wheelspin with the ASC light flickering away like mad at me. With the Bridgestones, nothing, not even a peep. I don't know what this means for you M5 owners with quite a few more horses than me, but It is a great tire wet and dry. Very quiet too.

·
Registered
844 Posts
Originally posted by Jim Dolan:
Parkerfe, what the hell's a PI attorney. And don't scare me

Oh! Ambulance chaser!!!!!!!!
That's what they call us until them or one of their family members are injured or killed as a result of someone elses negligence. Then they all want to call us to hire us. I love it!!!

------------------

·
Registered
238 Posts
Would people stop blaiming tires already!

11/7/00 WSJ has an article about testing those troublesome tires and all indicates that mostly left rear tire has that problem on Ford Explorer!
Why Continental, Goodyear and others are making silent tire recalls?

Anyone wants buy Ford? Too bad - I never had one - nothing for sale!

My $0.02

Vas

1 - 20 of 25 Posts