BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok guys so i have a local bmw tuner shop that work with ActiveAutoWerke and ESS Tuning. These are the only 2 choices that i can choose from since im in Canada. ESS is a little more expensive though. But After reading alot of threads im thinking of going with ESS but im not too sure. What does ESS tune really offer and what would you guys recommened me to get?

Also a quick question. I hit the redline limiter today in 1st and 2nd gear and it did not bounce back. It just stayed at around 8200rpm.

all help is appreciated. Thanks!

Mike

·
Company Representative for Jlevi StreetWerks
1,005 Posts
I don't have experience with ESS but we are an Active Autowerke Distributor and do the software tuning on site. We have done a couple E60 M5s and have had solid feedback in terms of the improvement of response and performance. The Active setup is also flexible in that they can tune the car for additional mods such as an intake, exhaust or pulleys. Both are reputable companies however I wanted to provide our experience with AA specifically.

·
Registered
932 Posts
ESS proven gains over 10whp. Lot of old threads liked AA however must concluded that it wasn't making any more power. Now that ESS has a hardware programmer that you can always reprogram your car back and forth its a no brainer.

ESS DirectFlash S85 ECU Tuning Software - ESS Tuning

·
Registered
1,535 Posts
ESS proven gains over 10whp. Lot of old threads liked AA however must concluded that it wasn't making any more power. Now that ESS has a hardware programmer that you can always reprogram your car back and forth its a no brainer.

ESS DirectFlash S85 ECU Tuning Software - ESS Tuning
Thats kind of cool, especially if there is map specially for 100 octane use, I'm going to look more into it!

·
Company Representative for Evolve Automotive
3,068 Posts
We also supply a cable which only costs an additional £130.

Our gains are one of the largest in the industry.

You get to keep your stock and modified tune + if any updates are required due to later software being loaded then this is free of charge.

If you upgrade the setup (headers etc) then we can send an updated tune at a heavily discounted price.

·
Registered
416 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would strongly suggest the Evolve ECU Tune. I have it on my M6 and gained 33whp.
33whp gain is in no way possible on North American 91AKI fuel. Our software is 100% optimized for this fuel and gains are usually in the 10-15whp range. On 98-100RON, especially Shell V-power higher gains is possible, but this is not representative for most of the US customers.

The ESS DirectFlash unit can hold up to 10 different tunes, if you need catless, custom RPM limits, etc you can get them from us on email and load them into the DirectFlash unit for future use/switching.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148 Safari/6533.18.5)

I would strongly suggest the Evolve ECU Tune. I have it on my M6 and gained 33whp.
33whp gain is in no way possible on North American 91AKI fuel. Our software is 100% optimized for this fuel and gains are usually in the 10-15whp range. On 98-100RON, especially Shell V-power higher gains is possible, but this is not representative for most of the US customers.

The ESS DirectFlash unit can hold up to 10 different tunes, if you need catless, custom RPM limits, etc you can get them from us on email and load them into the DirectFlash unit for future use/switching.
I suggest you try the Evolve tune on one of your cars. It is absolutely mind blowing. We use 98 octane here in the UAE. which is equivalent to 93 in the USA.

·
Registered
6,353 Posts
I suggest you try the Evolve tune on one of your cars. It is absolutely mind blowing. We use 98 octane here in the UAE. which is equivalent to 93 in the USA.
Excuse my Persian but.... No $hit $herlock! You lucky ba$tards! grrrrrrr

·
Registered
416 Posts

We have worked for almost 6 years on MSS65, we are the first and only company in the world to successfully develop a Alpha-N forced induction tune on this platform so trust me when I say that we do know what can be done with this system.

I am willing to guarantee you that 33whp is not the normal gain on 93AKI in the US. Yes, 33whp can be had under some conditions and on certains fuels but this is not a "normal" gain on a normal US spec car running 93AKI and you will for sure get nowhere near this if 91AKI is used.

We have expamples of ESS tuned S85's making 22WHP on 91AKI with everything else stock (attached dyno), but some cars do not reach this level of gain and that is we why we claim 10-15WHP gain on this tune instead of the 22WHP we could have claimed based on this particular car.

Same thing goes for 93AKI, some cars can make 30-35whp with all things lining up, but we can not state this is the normal gain as most cars on most fuel used in the US will not come near this gain.

I am sure Evolve does good work, but I think they will have problems with several customers if they advertise 33whp as the normal 93AKI gain. The thing is people never get upset if they make over rating. Coming in 10-15whp lower than claimed is not a scenario a vendor wants to be put in so I would urge you to use the 33whp gain with caution as it most likely will not be duplicated in most cars, especially in the US.

Attachments

·
Registered
114 Posts
Well what asbjorn say is absolutely right.

thumbs up.

·
Registered
7,038 Posts

We have worked for almost 6 years on MSS65, we are the first and only company in the world to successfully develop a Alpha-N forced induction tune on this platform so trust me when I say that we do know what can be done with this system.

I am willing to guarantee you that 33whp is not the normal gain on 93AKI in the US. Yes, 33whp can be had under some conditions and on certains fuels but this is not a "normal" gain on a normal US spec car running 93AKI and you will for sure get nowhere near this if 91AKI is used.

We have expamples of ESS tuned S85's making 22WHP on 91AKI with everything else stock (attached dyno), but some cars do not reach this level of gain and that is we why we claim 10-15WHP gain on this tune instead of the 22WHP we could have claimed based on this particular car.

Same thing goes for 93AKI, some cars can make 30-35whp with all things lining up, but we can not state this is the normal gain as most cars on most fuel used in the US will not come near this gain.

I am sure Evolve does good work, but I think they will have problems with several customers if they advertise 33whp as the normal 93AKI gain. The thing is people never get upset if they make over rating. Coming in 10-15whp lower than claimed is not a scenario a vendor wants to be put in so I would urge you to use the 33whp gain with caution as it most likely will not be duplicated in most cars, especially in the US.
33whp is the gain on my car. It is not advertised by Evolve.

Normal or otherwise, this is the gain I got.

Why don't you yet the time yourself and let ius all know what you think of it.

But be ware, there was a time when the normal
Belief was centered around the earth being flat.

·
Registered
114 Posts
Lets not argue, everyone got their own point . what asbjorn say is correct. and i do know for the 8800rpm tune to make more power, open the valve cover up, do some vanos adjustment (anyone who knows how cam works will know what i mean). then raise the idling to 1000rpm to avoid stalling issues.

to begin with this thread is "AA OR ESS", which is what our fellow member is asking. and yes every car reacts to tunes differently.

If you do believe in your tune, you can always make a friendly run with people who has other setups. in fact, honestly i do get annoyed with every thread of people asking about tune, i see 33rwhp here, 33rwhp there, best available, bla bla bla.

Thanks.

Reactions: Ahmed

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Lets not argue, everyone got their own point . what asbjorn say is correct. and i do know for the 8800rpm tune to make more power, open the valve cover up, do some vanos adjustment (anyone who knows how cam works will know what i mean). then raise the idling to 1000rpm to avoid stalling issues.

to begin with this thread is "AA OR ESS", which is what our fellow member is asking. and yes every car reacts to tunes differently.

If you do bmailto:[email protected] in your tune, you can always make a friendly run with people who has other setups. in fact, honestly i do get annoyed with every thread of people asking about tune, i see 33rwhp here, 33rwhp there, best available, bla bla bla.

Thanks.
Guys I am not willing to ship my ECU for a tune. Like I said I'm asking which is better AA or ESS these are the 2 I can choose from since they are local. Thanks

·
Registered
114 Posts
both are good :)

just make a snap :)

·
Registered
275 Posts
I certainly like the idea of having control over the tuning and making the changes yourself. Agree with the OP that I don't want to ship my ECU for tuning.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Guys does a stock e60 M5 have a redline limiter? should'nt it bounce back?

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
I certainly like the idea of having control over the tuning and making the changes yourself. Agree with the OP that I don't want to ship my ECU for tuning.
You can upload the new maps yourself, if that is what you are referring to. And this is fairly easy, all you need is an OBD connector and cable and a laptop. And you can download and upload as many maps as you like.

Doing the changes yourself, is a rather daunting proposition. It required a lot of research, skill and patience.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts