BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Now, it’s the right time to change the tires and get some new rubble on it. I want some recommendations from you guys

I have a Michelin Pilot sport and they are really good, but since we have a drag strip and I race a lot on the street, I think I should go for more performance tire.

I had asked a lot of people and they told me to go for G-Force T/A Drag Radial 2 and other people told to get a Michelin PS2.

·
Registered
79 Posts
I think you have to look at some semi racing tyres, i have been recomented toyo thay have a semi track tyre that are alowed on the street but have close to racing perfomance

·
Registered
6,354 Posts
Go for Sumitomo tyres. Make sure you get them "made in Malaysia". I heard they are amazing! They should last you about 2000 miles.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
BRN64666 said:
Now, it’s the right time to change the tires and get some new rubble on it. I want some recommendations from you guys

I have a Michelin Pilot sport and they are really good, but since we have a drag strip and I race a lot on the street, I think I should go for more performance tire.

I had asked a lot of people and they told me to go for G-Force T/A Drag Radial 2 and other people told to get a Michelin PS2.
If you put drag radials on your M5 it will ruin the car, turning it into a straight-line only vehicle. Don't wreck a good thing - stick with a max-performance street tire. I've owned the old Pilot Sports as well as the Pilot MMX3's that came before them. I just bought four PS2's. The performance gains between generations is very substantial!

:wroom:

·
Registered
263 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ELEVENS said:
If you put drag radials on your M5 it will ruin the car, turning it into a straight-line only vehicle. Don't wreck a good thing - stick with a max-performance street tire. I've owned the old Pilot Sports as well as the Pilot MMX3's that came before them. I just bought four PS2's. The performance gains between generations is very substantial!

:wroom:
ELEVENS, I have my 19s with Nittos and they are really goood and happy with it, I want to go for Drag Radials to race on the dragstrip but I'm afraid to break my diff. so, Im still confused about this matter :confused2

·
Registered
5,078 Posts
BRN64666 said:
ELEVENS, I have my 19s with Nittos and they are really goood and happy with it, I want to go for Drag Radials to race on the dragstrip but I'm afraid to break my diff. so, Im still confused about this matter :confused2
Bridgestone S03's are excellent tires:flag:

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
BRN64666 said:
... I want to go for Drag Radials to race on the dragstrip but I'm afraid to break my diff. so, Im still confused about this matter :confused2
Drag radials have been mentioned many times on this forum, one member even bought a pair, but I have NEVER seen any reports of a drag radial-shod M5 at the drag strip. My non-M5 friends who have used drag radials had mixed results. My guess is, that's because there is no substitute for experimentation at the drag strip. IOW, you can't just bolt on a set of drag radials and expect to set the world on fire, you still need to experiment with tire pressure, launch RPM, clutch technique, shift points, etc.

On my car (2003 M5), I would worry more about wheel hop damage than diff. damage. For this car, the suspension is the limiting factor, not traction. You could "fix" your suspension for the drags, but it would ruin it for the street ouich

I'd love to see someone buy a set of drag radials and report back on how they work.

-Bill

1 - 10 of 10 Posts