BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently upgraded from an E46 M3 to an E39 M5. Looking to get a SSK (short shift kit) as the first mod.

I had the UUC EVO III on my M3, they didn't have the selector rod yet. It was a great improvement over stock but was still a little notchy from 1st to 2nd and made a slight whirling noise on some shifts.

The M3 gang seems to be drifting towards Autosolutions. Their web site is autosolutions.net.

One guy did a comprehensive review of UUC (EVO II - no selector rod), Rogue, and Autosolutions. He felt the UUC and Rogue were comparable, but the Autosolutions was much better. His SSK review is at M3.Madrussian.net

What's the M5 Board concensus?

Thanks! hiha :1:

B

·
0 Posts
GAS M5 said:
I recently upgraded from an E46 M3 to an E39 M5. Looking to get a SSK (short shift kit) as the first mod.

I had the UUC EVO III on my M3, they didn't have the selector rod yet. It was a great improvement over stock but was still a little notchy from 1st to 2nd and made a slight whirling noise on some shifts.

The M3 gang seems to be drifting towards Autosolutions. Their web site is autosolutions.net.

One guy did a comprehensive review of UUC (EVO II - no selector rod), Rogue, and Autosolutions. He felt the UUC and Rogue were comparable, but the Autosolutions was much better. His SSK review is at M3.Madrussian.net

What's the M5 Board concensus?
Thanks! hiha :1:
The consensus is in the direction of the UUC EVO3 and DSSR, but there are several others in use. Just as a useful data point, 90% of the SSKs that we sell are the UUC EVO3 (with the DSSR being added about 75% of the time).

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
BeastPower said:
The consensus is in the direction of the UUC EVO3 and DSSR, but there are several others in use. Just as a useful data point, 90% of the SSKs that we sell are the UUC EVO3 (with the DSSR being added about 75% of the time).

Cheers, Daniel.
Hello Daniel,

A quick check of your website doesn't show that you offer some of the more popular M5 SSK's - such as Autosolution or Rogue. I'm sure you're "above" that sort of thing, but with all due respect - it gives the appearance that your recommendations are valed plugs for what you sell. For example, this isn't the first time you mentioned that the EVO3 was the best out there, yet I've heard from at least two owners who've stated the 1-2 shift is extremely hard and notchy. Maybe you can expand on this topic for those who are in the market for a SSK.

Respectfully,

Bill

·
Registered
4,246 Posts
It depends on what you want out of your shifter. I personally enjoy a tight throw that is very communicative and therefore went with the AutoSolutions 40%. The Rogue is the most stock like IMHO, and offers almost no noise or vibration issues while still shortenging the throw by about 25%. Basically, your rundown if I can remember properly is...

Autosolutions- tight, vibration, slight noise
ACS - good product but very pricey, not many reviews
Kelleners- basically an e36 M3 shifter
Rogue - good service, most stock like
UUC- they have had three different versions I beleive, the newsest one is getting good reviews.

·
Registered
1,625 Posts
GAS M5,

There are an array of companies and products to choose from when looking for a SSK. The UUC EVO3 seems to be the most popular on the board as of recent, but thats not to say there aren't others out there that are excellent quality. But, I do feel there is a reason the EVO3 has been getting so much attention on this board, it's a wonderful product!

TCM did a nice job of breaking down some of the most popular products for the e39 M5. If you have any further questions, please don't hesitate to ask. What are you looking for in a SSK? What are your complaints of the stock unit? Perhaps that would help narrow down the search, and get you a product you are happy with.

Happy Holidays,

Travis

·
Registered
225 Posts
Do a search here and you will soon see the EVO 3 (w/DSSR) is BY FAR the SSK of choice here. You may be new here, but you will soon see that Daniel gives recommendations based upon his experience MORE SO than what he offers to sell! I got the EVO 3 setup (w/DSSR) about 4 months ago and it is precise and I love it!
Robert

·
Registered
44 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
More Specifics....

Thanks for the feedback...

My complaints with the stock shifter are that the throws are too long, the stick sits too high, and there is too much overall play in the gears.

I use the car as a daily driver, Atlanta rush hour, and like to push it a little when I get the chance. No plans to track the car.

What sounds like a good option for this type of driving?

Thanks again! :wroom:

B

·
0 Posts
ELEVENS said:
Hello Daniel,

A quick check of your website doesn't show that you offer some of the more popular M5 SSK's - such as Autosolution or Rogue. I'm sure you're "above" that sort of thing, but with all due respect - it gives the appearance that your recommendations are valed plugs for what you sell. For example, this isn't the first time you mentioned that the EVO3 was the best out there, yet I've heard from at least two owners who've stated the 1-2 shift is extremely hard and notchy. Maybe you can expand on this topic for those who are in the market for a SSK.

Respectfully,

Bill
Bill,

I see where you are coming from, and can understand your points. However, please note that some products are just better than others, whether I say so or not. This messageboard's archives are full of data and testimonials that support the UUC case, and with UUC's new EVO3 version and their recent addition of DSSR, there is no question that their SSK is the best on the market. Just a fact, substantiated by the purchasing decisions of M5 oweners, nothing more and nothing less.

I obviously would prefer that customer's listen to our recommendations, and that they purchase from us; I want BeastPower to be successful, but this is a passion for me, much more than a profit-making machine. I know that bias will always be assumed when one represents a business, but I don't know how to put this more clearly, except that I am providing my honest opinion, nothing more and nothing less.

Cheers, Daniel.

B

·
0 Posts
Re: More Specifics....

GAS M5 said:

My complaints with the stock shifter are that the throws are too long, the stick sits too high, and there is too much overall play in the gears.

I use the car as a daily driver, Atlanta rush hour, and like to push it a little when I get the chance. No plans to track the car.

UUC EVO3 + DSSR. I recommend you read the UUC EVO3 product section on www.beastpower.com, and also look at the photos, just to get an idea of UUC quality. You can then look at the photos of the $1,000 AC Schnitzer SSK for comparison.

We have good deal going for the next 2 days (see coupon thread), after which, there may be a UUC initiated price adjustment.

Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
4,246 Posts

Gas M5:

If you really want a custom setup, speak to Ronald at AutoSolutions. He will make you exactly what you want for height, throw reduction, etc and is a good guy. All of the ssk are good and a huge improvement over stock, but I cannot say enough good things about the AutoSolutions product and service. Please let us know what you decide.

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
BeastPower said:
... I know that bias will always be assumed when one represents a business, but I don't know how to put this more clearly, except that I am providing my honest opinion, nothing more and nothing less...
Hey Daniel - At first I was going to PM you regarding what could be viewed as a potential conflict of interest, but your response illustrates why a post was the better choice. This way, everyone benefits from your response, and gives you the podium to put your buyers at ease.

Happy New Year! :happybirt

·
Registered
2,817 Posts
1badm5 said:
Do a search here and you will soon see the EVO 3 (w/DSSR) is BY FAR the SSK of choice here. ...

Is that a POLL that I smell...... hmmm

Why yes it is! Right over HERE

:cheers:

·
Registered
400 Posts
I read quite a bit from all the suppliers of ssks for our cars. I finally decided to try the UUC and the DSSR for a couple of reasons.

The first reason was that I was impressed with the geometry of the UUC setup. The DSSR also was quite frankly the way it should have been done in the first place. That is a clearly superior design to the factory version.

The second reason was that there was so much positive feedback on this board with respects to the UUC setup. While I am sure others would rave about their choices, the overwhelming praise went to the UUC unit. So many satisfied customers cannot be discounted.

Probably all the shifters would feel fine once first installed, the test of time will determine which ones continue to please their owners. From my investigations, I would suspect that the UUC will be one that stands that test of time.

If the others retain the factory rod that the DSSR replaces, I would think adding the UUC DSSR if possible would give even more improved feel to those shifters.

I ordered mine, and when it gets here I will install it and I will also report what I think about it. I do not get very defensive about my choices, I take a very critical view of things when I do an evaluation, and will tell it like it is, bad or good.

I do know that I am getting sick and tired of every once in a while not getting the factory shifter to go into 3rd gear because of the sloppiness. Thats my main reason for trying to improve this area of my car, and I do not have a lot of miles on my M5.

·
Registered
12,865 Posts

GAS M5 said:

The UUC products generally are high quality and the company is run by car enthusiasts. The UUC Evo 3 wasn't available when I did my SSK, but I am very happy with my Rogue. Ben did a semi custom setup, lessening the throw reduction, but shortening the rod about 1 inch which increases the reduction. He was great to work with. The only time the 1-2 shift is a little stiff is the first one on a cold (for Florida) morning. Otherwise, the car shifts very precisely (right Anita???)The best bet would be to try to find Board members in the area and try out the various shifters. I offer mine if you drive to south Florida!! ;) :wroom:

·
Registered
76 Posts
I love my Rogue as M5 is a summer daily driver. Its just short enough and stiff enough to make it precise and confortable. Its The choice is very individual. M3 Rogue SSK is shorter, stiffer and notchier than for M5. That should give you some additional comparison for what you personally might like, regardless what the usual discussion is.
Alex

1 - 16 of 16 Posts