BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've been using Dunlop Winter Sport M2s on other cars. There is a 245/40-18 front but only a 265/35-18 rear.

Will that work ok? Has anyone done it?

·
Registered
83 Posts
Definitely works. I use 235/40/18 (recommended size) and it's really good. I don't know is it wise to use different tire size for back tires at winter. At least here Finland I wouldn't use it. M2 is excellent tire and better than anything I tried. Compared to 17" tires I see a big difference.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Originally posted by Ossi:
Definitely works. I use 235/40/18 (recommended size) and it's really good. I don't know is it wise to use different tire size for back tires at winter. At least here Finland I wouldn't use it. M2 is excellent tire and better than anything I tried. Compared to 17" tires I see a big difference.
At first the dealer recommended that I use the 17" rim or even a 16" rim from the 540i with a Blizzak snow tire. Neither rim would fit over the M5 brake calipers, which are rather large. I have to be able to get around in snow conditions this year, and do not know what to do. Do those M2s really work? I wonder why the dealer did not think of that solution and whether I will be able to find the in the NYC area.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
The Dunlop Winter Sport M2s definitely work...probably the best winter tire out there. The Blizzaks (other than the LM22) give away far too much dry road performance for ice capability.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Keep in mind that wider tires are bad in snow. The owners manual specs out 245s front and rear. No doubt in my mind that they don't want to recommend wider tires in back which would tend to skid quicker. Your M5 may sometimes act a like a 911! Don't know how pronounced the effect would be though and of course electronics will help. If you drive in light winter weather, 245s front and 265s back might work OK.

TD

·
Registered
465 Posts
The 2000 M5 owner's manual says to use 235/45/R 17 94 H tires on 8Jx17AH2 rims on all four wheels. I'm debating the merits of buying 4 new wheels plus the tires but the 18" Dunlop M2 tires seem to be in short supply.

·
Registered
120 Posts
Oops, I stand corrected, 235s it is.

When I switched to snows of the same size on my 1993 325i 205x60 on 15" rims (99% sure on than one), I could not wait to get them off in the spring. Those Blizzaks were great in snow but very squishy on the dry.

Now you can do better than Blizzaks for dry road snowtire performance. But driving the M5 on 235 snows at each corner does not sound good to me at all.

I keep an Audi 90 on hand for the snow and will drive the M5 when able. Though, one is forced to watch the weather forcast closely. It worked well the last 4 winters with my M3.

TD

1 - 7 of 7 Posts