BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
2,088 Posts
Ha, my experience was the opposite. I tried pentosin LT2 when rockauto still had it. Hated it. Smells like crap too. Switched to redline and it was noticeably less clunkier. Now that I think of it (a year later) the clunkiness may have come back... Guess it's the nature of SMGs.

·
Registered
2,049 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Well, the question is among the 3 BMW fluids, which one?

Ha, my experience was the opposite. I tried pentosin LT2 when rockauto still had it. Hated it. Smells like crap too. Switched to redline and it was noticeably less clunkier. Now that I think of it (a year later) the clunkiness may have come back... Guess it's the nature of SMGs.
I think when our cars first came out the LT-2 was the only fluid available. Since then LT-3 and LT-4 were introduced. Stick with 2 or move to 3/4?

·
Registered
58 Posts
As a (granted, not very important) data point, my '09 has 35,000 miles now, and I had the fluid changed at 30,000 using MTF-LT-2, with no perceptible difference in feel (as could be expected). I don't know enough about oils to give you a recommendation one way or the other.

On a related note, however, I think the SMGIII will always be kind of "cluncky", because it's basically what you get when you try to teach a robot from the year 2005 how to operate a manual transmission. There are any number of sensor inputs and algorithms floating around in its little robotic German brain. You have to think a step ahead of it, which is a challenge I kind of enjoy!

·
Registered
1,356 Posts
Just to be clear for anyone stumbling onto this thread OP meant Transmission fluid not the smg hydraulic fluid.

That said.. What do we mean by clunky? The fluid is important for the the synchronizers, as well as the gears while moving. Stationary, ie no rotation on the input or output shafts the fluid does effectively nothing.

I've moved to Pentosin FFL-4 which is the replacement for MTF-LT-2.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I drained and filled with FFL-4 last October (which is fine to use for SMG), it replaces the MTF2.

I didn't notice any smoother shifts, but it wasn't worse.

Clunkiness can be resolved by flashing your SMG Software to the Euro SMG ZB #7842206.

The Euro SMG does a better job at clutch modulation, especially when taking off from a stop. Low RPM Clunkiness is improved as well (1st-3rd gear)

·
2,088 Posts
I got the euro smg flash shortly after I bought the car. Now true it's been a while, but I don't remember much (if any) shifting improvement. Now that euro launch control hmm.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts