BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Everyone

I need some advice.

I currently have a 2003 745Li and its time for something new. I am about to take delivery of an X5 M Sport Edition as the lease on my old SUV is almost done and have placed an order for an E92 M3 to replace the 7. I was at the dealership today and they informed me that they do not have a production date because all the the DKG coupes that have been allocated for Canada have been sold. I was told that they are still trying to get an M3 for me but after seeing an M6 today, I am thinking I should pull the trigger on that.

What are all your opinions?

Heres some info to help with your decisions.

- Both my kids have their own cars.
- I have a driver but I don't mind sitting in the back of the X5 when I need to be driven.
- The cars will be leased for 3 years

So between a 2008 M6 SMG Vs. 2008 M3 DKG Coupe

Pros & Cons of each would be nice if anyone has driven both.

thanks, your help is much appreciated

·
Registered
397 Posts
Hi Everyone

I need some advice.

I currently have a 2003 745Li and its time for something new. I am about to take delivery of an X5 M Sport Edition as the lease on my old SUV is almost done and have placed an order for an E92 M3 to replace the 7. I was at the dealership today and they informed me that they do not have a production date because all the the DKG coupes that have been allocated for Canada have been sold. I was told that they are still trying to get an M3 for me but after seeing an M6 today, I am thinking I should pull the trigger on that.

What are all your opinions?

Heres some info to help with your decisions.

- Both my kids have their own cars.
- I have a driver but I don't mind sitting in the back of the X5 when I need to be driven.
- The cars will be leased for 3 years

So between a 2008 M6 SMG Vs. 2008 M3 DKG Coupe

Pros & Cons of each would be nice if anyone has driven both.

thanks, your help is much appreciated

How can someone even as this question? Not knocking the M3 DKG but the two don't really compare. If the M6 is within your budget, by all means the M6. If not, M3 is still an awesome car. :cheers:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
M6 kills the M3 IMO
I have an E46 M3 ( I know it's diff. and doesn't have the dual clutch, but still)...and it is now a garage queen.

Hard to beat a V10 with 500 hp....

I think it really depends on what kind of driving experience you are looking for...the M6 is just a power massacring car....M3 is fun to kick around (more if you're a kid)...you'll certainly see that the M6 crowd is a more mature crowd across the boards....M3 lots of rich teenagers, but who am I to say...I'm looking at a Lotus!

·
Registered
397 Posts
M6 then. I haven't driven the M3 yet but no matter what it still won't have the craftsmanship and prestige of the M6. The same reason you probably purchased a 7 series and not a 5 series.

Both cars are superb rides and I'm sure you'll enjoy.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think that the M3 may be more fun to drive (although I have not driven it myself) given its lighter weight, more compact size and more refined transmission, although not quite as fast on a straight line. However, they do not compare in terms of design, luxury and comfort, the M6 being far superior in all of these respects.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I was recently facing a similar decision, though was considering a used M6 versus the new M3. Haven't driven the DCT, though I did drive the manual. When I got back to the dealership, I couldn't keep from walking back to the M6 and just admiring it.

As has been stated, they are two very different cars. Part of my decision was influenced by the fact that there will be a lot of the M3's on the road soon and, at least here in Kansas, the M6 will always remain a rare sight. The V10's power is intoxicating and the car's overall presence cannot be underestimated.

While the back seat in the M6 is probably smaller, its trunk is much larger and can swallow a large set of golf clubs without the need to fold down seats or remove clubs, etc.

You are posting on the M6 board and thus will likely get biased responses, but there are many reasons why those here love it and are so passionate about its virtues! In truth, you can't go wrong with either...:cheers:

·
Registered
651 Posts
M6, thats how the big boys do it. It's for the grown and sexy. the M3, no disrespect, but its a car for someone whos young, and wants to post up in front of a high school. whichever you think best fits your needs go with it !. i would say M6 :) join the brotherhood.

·
Registered
505 Posts
if you never ever plan on tracking your car m6. as you have already mentioned that budget is not your issue.

·
Registered
991 Posts
M6 kills the M3 IMO
I have an E46 M3 ( I know it's diff. and doesn't have the dual clutch, but still)...and it is now a garage queen.

Hard to beat a V10 with 500 hp....

I think it really depends on what kind of driving experience you are looking for...the M6 is just a power massacring car....M3 is fun to kick around (more if you're a kid)...you'll certainly see that the M6 crowd is a more mature crowd across the boards....M3 lots of rich teenagers, but who am I to say...I'm looking at a Lotus!

I really like M3's but I never once looked at one to purchase. I'll always take a look at one if I'm waiting at a dealership but when I was looking for a new car the M3 was a no-go. I was at the local dealership back in October looking at an M6 in a color I did not want the salesman asked me if I was interested in looking at an M3 they had. I just told him I didn't want to waste his time because I would never consider it. The M6 is just a car that separates someone from the norm. I see countless 3 series, M3's, etc. M3's are driven by alot of lucky teenagers. I don't see many 6 series, and never see any M6's. If I do see an M6 its usually stock and it seems like half of the M3's I see are tricked out.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

I'm now leaning towards an M6, but have one last thing clouding my decision. (I should have mentioned earlier).

I'll explain the situation quickly.

Within the past week, I successfully bought out my partners as they were ready to retire. I have been wanting a new car for the past year but have been waiting for the right time. I have decided that now is the time because I feel need to reward myself for the hard work I've done over the last 6 months. My employees and I have great relationship but feel they will not like seeing me in a new car yet alone a $130,000 BMW.

Heres the question.

Do you think it will matter to them whether it is an M6 or an M3? Or do you think it sends the same message?

I know its a tough question for you guys, but maybe some have been through similar situations?

Or should I say f*ck em, I've worked hard, and I'll do what I want?

·
Registered
967 Posts
My employees and I have great relationship but feel they will not like seeing me in a new car yet alone a $130,000 BMW.
If they are your employees, show them who's boss and get an M6:hihi:

·
Registered
1,897 Posts
Thanks everyone for the helpful advice.

Within the past week, I successfully bought out my partners as they were ready to retire. I have been wanting a new car for the past year but have been waiting for the right time. I have decided that now is the time because I feel need to reward myself for the hard work I've done over the last 6 months. My employees and I have great relationship but feel they will not like seeing me in a new car yet alone a $130,000 BMW.

Heres the question.

Do you think it will matter to them whether it is an M6 or an M3? Or do you think it sends the same message?

I know its a tough question for you guys, but maybe some have been through similar situations?

Or should I say f*ck em, I've worked hard, and I'll do what I want?
I have been in a similar situation, as I am buying out my senior partner's practice...similarly, I have a great relationship with my employees. I am much younger than my partner...he drives a 750, I drive an M6 to work.

My thoughts coincide with yours in bold....worked my tail off to get to where I am....you/I deserve it!

My employees know I love cars (M3, and Range Rover), and I share my enthusiasm about cars with them....so they understand.
I'm now looking at an orange Lotus, and I have concerns about flashiness about this car with my older conservative partner.....but in the end, I'm going to get it!

·
Registered
302 Posts
personally..i say "f*ck them" lol...if you can afford it, then why not? unfortunately i can not relate to your situation, in that im the one that can afford the least where i work (as funny as that sounds), but regardless my co-workers still LOVE the m6 regardless of what other ridiculous cars they might own.

·
Registered
705 Posts
I'm one guy that understands your question and your situation. My previous 3 cars we're all M3's. Not because of the money, but rather because I just like the car and the way it looks, drives and feels. When my lease was up on the 2002 M3, the new M3 wasn't out yet and I felt like I needed a change. I took a hard look at several car including the 911, Maserati, AM Vantage, and M6, but the M6 Cab was not available yet, so I lease a 650i and ordered the M6 for early delivery. I got one of the first ones in the US. Now that the new M3 is available, I thought about switching back. Not because the M6 isn't everything I hoped it would be, but because I've got car sickness. Whenever something new hit's the streets, I want one. They are totally different cars, and to be perfectly honest with you, I could be happy in either. I know me, and I just love the size and light feel of the M3. That being said, it's also $1000 a month less.

So... am I selling the M6. No!! If the new M3 was faster the the M6, I might have considered it, cause I'm definitely a performance nut. But it isn't, and so I'm not.

As to the employee question, I totally get where your coming from with that as well. I bought a F430 back in October and didn't mention it or take it to the office for 3 months, until someone finally spotted me driving it, and then everyone knew within a day. I finally just bit the bullet and pulled up in it. I'm sure there was a lot of talk, but at the end of the day, my employee's know where I live, what kind of boat I have, and the fact that I spend 3 days a week at my beach house. I think for the most part, they accept me a pretty good guy thats had a fair bit of success in life. A precious gift I believe. I've always treated them right and deep down in side, I think they're happy for me, especially if I give them a ride in the F car.

PS: I'm originally from Toronto. My father built Open Window Bakery, if you know them. :cheers:

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks everybody for your help.

I'm going to sleep on it for a few days, but I've done some thinking and like where your heads are at with the M6!!

As for colors go. Carbon Black, Black Sapphire Metallic or Jet Black?

My original choice was Black Sapphire Metallic, but I hear Carbon Black is a great color. Planning Portland Brown Full Leather with Carbon Fiber.

Opinions? Thoughts?

1 - 20 of 41 Posts