BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know this has been discussed a thoudand times, but which oil do you guys reckon I should use in my 95 6-speed?

I'm getting tired of pouring in litres of Magnatec 10W-40. I've heard good things about Castrol RS 10W-60 (less oil consumption, smooth running, quieter), although I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

Any thoughts?

·
Registered
1,724 Posts
Smokestack said:
I know this has been discussed a thoudand times, but which oil do you guys reckon I should use in my 95 6-speed?

I'm getting tired of pouring in litres of Magnatec 10W-40. I've heard good things about Castrol RS 10W-60 (less oil consumption, smooth running, quieter), although I haven't seen it for sale anywhere.

Any thoughts?
I run 10/40 shell or magnatec.

Both seem fine to me.

Steve

·
Registered
396 Posts
Smokestack said:

Any thoughts?
Hey

The castrol 10w-60 racing is an very good oil one off the best....

I run with the mobil 1 ow-40 it´s also an very good oil

Bay

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
I seem to have very little oil consumption with the 10-60 Castrol TWS - my engine loves it! I have had the engine flush.

I change oil every three months. In fact coming up to my 4th change of the year in the form of a BMW Oil Service, and other bits and bobs at the end of the month. It really pays to take car of these cars.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think its all down to driving styles, I go through Silkolene pro-r 15w50 a litre evey 1600 miles, Castrol 10w60 was about the same, Magnatec was about 400 miles per litre.

I hear some of you Guys don't have any oil loss at all? This must be the same Guys who have one green service light still up after 8000 miles. I overdue a service (on amber/red) at about 6750 miles.

Hope that helps?

Jahangeer said:
I seem to have very little oil consumption with the 10-60 Castrol TWS - my engine loves it! I have had the engine flush.

I change oil every three months. In fact coming up to my 4th change of the year in the form of a BMW Oil Service, and other bits and bobs at the end of the month. It really pays to take car of these cars.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I used either the Castrol 10W-60 or Shell racing 10W-60. Both were very good. Local dealer once put Mobil 1 0W-40 but I quickly changed it, it was simply to thin for my car, started to leak a little along the seals.

My car didn't burn much oil with the Castrol or Shell oils. I usually only had to top it off once between services.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
yewcorner said:
Magnatec was about 400 miles per litre.

Hope that helps?
Hallelujah! I am not alone! I thought it was the Castrol Goblin stealing my oil at night!!

Ivan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Smokestack said:
Thanks for the input guys!

Any idea where I can buy any Castrol Formula RS 10W-60?
BMW dealers sell it in one litre bottles at £7.99 each. Ouch! It's standard for the E39 M5 IIRC

Not seen it in 4.5L standard packs, but a good motor depot shop may be able to order it as such.

Ivan.

·
Registered
970 Posts
I think the reality is £13.99 a litre (as of Friday) and its TWS not RS (Maybe there's a difference?)

Smokestack said:
Thanks Yewcorner!

Classic Oils make 7.99 a litre from BMW seem cheap!!!!! Expensive oil!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
4,273 Posts
Ive run my 3.8 for a few yrs now.
Im not sticking any expensive oil in it.
If you change oil every 6k as opposed to using the service indicator, it becomes even less critical.
The engine piston to bore tols are loose compared to any modern car.
Once the oil control rings get a chamfer on them, then you will combust some oil in this engine.

I now use semi synthetic 10w/40 from GSF called Quantum Synta.
About £14 for 5 litres.
I use 9 litres between services @ 600 miles per litre.

I can see the point in throwing huge sums of money at oil thats burned but regularly changed.
The newer 0W & 5W Oils are great for those engines where modern metallurgy has allowed more durable materials & longer service interval as a result, but for our cars, which are very much old style race engines with short service intervals compared to some 18,000 mile plus cars out there, its seem a waste.

My humble opinion & those who spend on expensive oil are not doing anything wrong. Just seems that if using a sensible viscosity oil, you cant go wrong with the cheaper stuff.

Farrell

·
Registered
426 Posts
Mine uses about 1 litre of any semi synthetic every 500 miles and has done so since I bought it with 63k on the clock. Now has 112k. Engine gets flushed and new oil/filter every 3k miles. Maybe extravagant but engine sounds no different to when I bought it so maybe doing something right. Trying to put off major engine surgery as long as possible.

Frank

·
Registered
868 Posts
I've used a whole host of oils but mine really seemed to eat Mobil 1 - even the 15/50 W

Changed to Castrol 10/60 and have also used the Magnatec. As a result it hardly uses any.

I know where you are coming from Farrell but if newer oils can help stave off a few bills then I think it is worth paying the increase.

Best

M5 Powered

·
Registered
115 Posts
I'm using Castrol TSW Motorsport 10w60 and my engine loves it :byebye: I change my oils for every 8000 km. My car "eats" oil about 0,3 liters per 1000 km :3:

·
Registered
183 Posts
I use the Vauxhall fully synthetic 0-40 it's about £9 a gallon or something daft like that if you buy in bulk through their trade club - at that price it doesn't matter how much you use, but if find I go from max to min in about 3000 miles or 6 months so change it then anyway.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks for the feedback guys!

I had an oil change yesterday using Castrol RS 10W-60. WOW! What a difference! The first thing I noticed was the quietness, especially at idle. A lot less chattery. Then the engine smoothness. I love this stuff!

I've just returned form a Lambo Gallardo, Noble M400, M3, Formula 3 track day at Rockingham - 300 mile round trip. Great day! I hammered the car there and back including a couple of 150+ stints. The car hasn't felt better for years. Very smooth power delivery and a very pleasant engine note on cam ..... it had all been getting a little too noisy lately.

I'd recommend this stuff to anyone. I'll feedback later on the oil consumption.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I use the stuff from BMW... She doesn't drink it that much.. 1.5 litres to the ring 11 laps at the ring and back home. I did have a leak but not now as the timing tensioner was loose which I found out when I had the EVO one fitted.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts