BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
393 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which brand and type of oil do you use in your Alpina? Is this what Alpina originally recommended for your engine, or have you changed because you have found a better brand?

Alpina recommends Castrol Formula RS Syntec 10W-60 for my B10 Bi-Turbo (1990), and this is what I use to top up when necesary. Today, I noticed that after a recent service, my garage had used Esso Ultron 5W-40 (synthetic). From the SAE figures, the Esso oil flows better when cold and does not thin so much as the Castrol at higher temperatures, thus, on the face of it, the Esso oil would seem to be the better choice.

As the Bi-Turbo is a very high performance engine (well, what Alpina isn't), I want to be absolutely sure that I am using the most appropriate type of oil.

I would welcome your own views on this and to hear what you use in your own cars.

Regards,

Neil

·
Registered
66 Posts
Neil,

i wouldn´t change because ALPINA recommends the CASTROL for two main important reasons:

- high temperature stability
- best inside cleaning effect

The RS is stabil up to 140° which is a common temperature in the BiTurbo.

If it was a BMW dealer you should blame him for the switch and get a free of charge oil change back to RS very soon.

Chris

------------------
///Chris

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
I am very careful to make sure that only Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 is used on my cars (B8 4.6) for the reasons that Chris mentions and also because Alpina is very firm on using this oil only.
Mobil 1 is probably a good oil as well, but it would never find its way to my Alpinas.

Michael

1 - 3 of 3 Posts