BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 39 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have suggestions on which ODBII Scan Tool is best for the M5? I have another 1999 328i and a 04 Chevy Tahoe that would be nice to use it on as well, but the M5 takes priority. I searched and didn't come up with much. I've seen mention of a Peake tool and a GT1?

Thanks for your help

·
Registered
1,461 Posts
I thought the GT1 is the computer that the BMW dealers use for all code reading.. don't think anyone would want to shell out that cash for that machine... except service shops. The Peake reader is pretty well-received over here on the board.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Is there any free software to do basics, like read codes? If so, www.obdtool.com sells a $71 cable which may work, I'm not sure however since it's marketted towards audi/vw/skoda/seat, but that may be primarily because of the VAG-COM software it comes with.

OBDII ports are standardized right?

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
While ODBII is a standard interface, the codes are manufacturer specific, the best I can tell. It appears each tool support "extended codes" from on a few secific manafacturers.

If other have input, speak up!!!

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts

·
Registered
1,553 Posts
I've tried several. The best bang for your buck, for portability and ability to get info SPECIFIC to BMW is the Peake Research Tool (www.peakeresearch.com)

I have AUtotap and it's great as well but better for graphing and recording values. I keep the Peake tool in the car. You can also use it to reset SES and service indicators.

:cheers:

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I guess buying direct (Peake) is the option? or is there a board sponsor I could purchase though to help support this forum?

Thanks

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
In the interest of making this thread as complete as possible, I also found this tool, http://www.autoenginuity.com/, that claims support for some BMW models including the M5.

I went with the Peake tool though.

Thanks

·
Moderator Emeritus
5,150 Posts
Just a word of caution. None of these tools work with M5's equipped with the Euro-dash... I've yet to find one that fits in that cubbyhole.... :(

·
Registered
298 Posts
icsfsedod said:
In the interest of making this thread as complete as possible, I also found this tool, http://www.autoenginuity.com/, that claims support for some BMW models including the M5.
I have the Autoenginuity reader, it works just fine on my M5, 2002 330i, 2001 Ford Focus, and 1999 Audi A4 1.8tq. It does not work on my F250, although that is exempt from OBDII compliance because it is a truck.

It does pretty much everything as advertised, reads and resets error codes allows real time data monitoring and logging of all engine sensors.

Regards

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
No worries with the Euro dash and my car is the North America version.

Glad to hear the Autoenguinity tool works. I might add it to my toolbox in order to chart and log certain engine events.

·
Registered
1,316 Posts
I use the Auterra Dyno-Scan software for my OBDII equipped cars. It runs on my Treo phone (which I always have with me) and the cables store neatly in the trunk in one of the trays under the mat.

I'm still getting used to it, but it has helped me with some trouble codes.

:cheers:

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
icsfsedod said:
...I might add it to my toolbox in order to chart and log certain engine events.
That´s the spirit!

David

·
Registered
7 Posts
DTC's

Hi guys,

i've got the autoenguinity software, works pretty fine on my '99 beast. I though have a question: Is there any manual explaining the codes? I got 5(!) of them all in P-group: P0015, P0325 etc.

Thanks for any help

·
Registered
88 Posts
Peake Research tool?

Where does one insert this tool into the car?

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
Killer said:
Hi guys,

i've got the autoenguinity software, works pretty fine on my '99 beast. I though have a question: Is there any manual explaining the codes? I got 5(!) of them all in P-group: P0015, P0325 etc.

Thanks for any help
there are some code readers like the innova ones, where you can downlaod their manual in PDF format. It will have all the codes listed there, in that on-line manual.

Also, since you are doing a google search, search for 'OBDII code list', and you will find what you need.

·
Registered
2,004 Posts
vabchbmw said:
Where does one insert this tool into the car?
A 'standard' code reader is hooked up under the dash, just above the hood release, and the port that is covered by a small 'snap' off/open port cover.

The 'Peake' reader is used under the hood of the car, and will come with the instructions for doing so.

·
Premium Member
13,589 Posts
KBK said:
A 'standard' code reader is hooked up under the dash, just above the hood release, and the port that is covered by a small 'snap' off/open port cover.

The 'Peake' reader is used under the hood of the car, and will come with the instructions for doing so.

That is not the case for the 2001.5+ models, which do not have the round plug. They use the OBDII port under the snap cover on the bottom of the dash for everything.

1 - 20 of 39 Posts