BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i had my nav display replaced a while back. i think i got a new radio and nav comp too. the center console display was replaced and i think the computer because it now shows in yards where as it used to show the zoom in feet. i want to install the sirius, but i don't know which unit i have and if it's compatible. how can i check.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
What year is your car?

Is it a DVD or CD based nav?

These two questions will determine which 'path' you'd be on...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
the car is a 2001. but, like i said, some things were changed. the nav model # now is 65-90-6915036. how do i check if its a dvd or cd based?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
531 Posts
If the nav unit is DVD based, it says so on the trunk unit right next to where you would put in the CD/DVD.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
ContractR said:
the car is a 2001. but, like i said, some things were changed. the nav model # now is 65-90-6915036. how do i check if its a dvd or cd based?
It appears to be a CD based Mark III:

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do?model=DE93&mospid=47592&btnr=65_0278&hg=65&fg=50&hl=39

You would need, for starters, a nav unit.

If it is an older style radio, then a new radio.

I am pretty 'fuzzy' on the specifics of a conversion from the older styles up to the 2003DVD based system. mottati did it in his and has posted a few times on details of his experience- a few others have done so as well.

For a 2003 the cost to add sirius is only 350-400, if you need a radio add 400, if you need a dvd nav add 800-1200, if you need a widescreen display add $???

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
470 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
ok, i did some research at the dealership, and i still have the cd based nav. i take it that i need a new dvd based nav to do this. what do you mean by new radio. i have the larger screen display. what else do i need to get to do this. i want to have an estimate of the budget i'm looking at before i decide to commit. thanks for all your help in advance.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Do most 2001s have a DVD-based navigation system? Just wondering...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Rudy said:
Do most 2001s have a DVD-based navigation system? Just wondering...
Only 2003s have the DVD based unit- which is the mark IV (mark 4) nav unit.

You can retrofit the Mk4 into the older cars- MANY posts on this.

Of note, there are no new maps being created for the older CD based units (AFAIK)

A
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
95 Posts
ard said:
Of note, there are no new maps being created for the older CD based units (AFAIK)

A
Even 2000 M5 owners can buy the lastest CD maps (2005.2) from navtech. The 8-CD-Rom map set for BMW owners costs $199. Navtech.com allows web users to see the lastest maps available for their make and model vehicle.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
12,398 Posts
Goody4 said:
Even 2000 M5 owners can buy the lastest CD maps (2005.2) from navtech. The 8-CD-Rom map set for BMW owners costs $199. Navtech.com allows web users to see the lastest maps available for their make and model vehicle.
Good to know! Navteq knows a market opportunity I guess! :)
 
1 - 10 of 10 Posts
Top