BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Every time I look at my car all I see is huge ugly fender gap....especially the front:eek:

Since I'm not ready to make the jump to coil-overs, I see 3 options for lowering springs......Eibach, H&R, and RD Sport.

H&R: 1.0" drop front and rear
Eibach: 1.0" drop front and .6" drop rear
RD Sport: 1.38" drop front and .79" rear

I personally prefer the stance of a car to be lower in the front.....so I'm guessing this eliminates the H&R springs?

For the people with Eibachs and RD Sport springs....did the ride quality change much or at all?

Any info and pics would be great:thumbsup:

·
Registered
1,812 Posts
I have Eibachs on my M5. Had them on for about 3 1/2 years. You are correct on the initial drop. However, I have noticed a little more creep lower over some time. I think it looks better now.

Ride quality was never compromised, in my opinion. However, that is why I chose Eibachs over the other top two. This was the testament by many.

I am concerned about the drop for the M6. I already have issues bottoming out on the black components and worry about dropping another 1" to 1 1/4". But like you stated, the wheel gap is pretty hard to deal with.

Let us know what you do and how you like it.
:cheers:

Reactions: MKSixer

·
Company Representative for Jlevi StreetWerks
1,005 Posts
The main difference comes down to how much lower you want the car. There are minor variances in the firmness and ride quality between the sets but they are largely the same. I'd suggest the RD Sport if you want the lowest possible stance without ruining the daily practicality.

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
I'm Happy with my H&R springs even my M6's Looks better 100 times than before ;)

Before

P1020941.JPG

After

IMG_9526_232_2234_tonemappedlk copy.jpg

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for posting the pics. How is the ride with the H&R's? I've been going through lots of threads on here and everyone says the same thing about H&R's on a M6...which is the ride is pretty harsh.

·
8,369 Posts
The reason I went with H & R lowering springs is it is the only springs out there to my knowledge that specifically states it wont affect ride comfort. The only thing it does is it lowers the car by an inch both front and back.

I now have H & R springs on my beast for 2 months and I can attest that ride feel is the same as stock.
The only thing it does indeed is it lowered my beast by an inch both front and back.

I am not sure what thread you read but most owners here will attest that H & R springs does not affect ride comfort quality.
And it doesnt affect the EDC either so you still get to select comfort, normal and sport.

Thanks to Abdullah for his recommendations!
I am very happy with mine. I dont want to go any lower personally.

Here's photo of mine post H & R springs installation.

BTW, the springs will settle a bit after a few months so you may not get the initial 1 inch.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
Dan....the car looks great! By looking at the pics the front looks lower than the rear? I figured since it lowers both front/ rear 1" that it would keep the same illusion that the rear sits lower than the front....at least that is how mine looks. Maybe it is just because the rear sidewall is shorter than the front on the OE tires:dunno:

Anywho....here are a couple of the threads where people were complaining about ride quality with H&R springs....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...e-m6board-com/112794-h-r-springs-warning.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...62-switched-h-r-eibach-springs-yesterday.html

There were a few more I came across as well where people swapped out the H&R's for Eibachs

·
8,369 Posts
Well, it just shows you / us that not all of our butt-o-meter are calibrated the same.
We are all different and what I feel may not be the same as what others have felt.

I tell you though, I think my butt-o-meter is calibrated pretty well as it is oil rubbed regularly by my wife and girlfriend : )

You are doing the right thing by doing your research and educating yourself.
I have known since day 1 that the beast needs to be lowered. But I didnt want too low to make my beast like a low rider, and I am also afraid of changes to the ride comfort. Harsh ride for me is like exhaust drone - I cant stand it and would not put up with it.

So I waited a year and a half and finally decided on H & R springs and Im very happy to report that my butt-o-meter feels no harshness at all.

Again, all I can say is similar to q8kamikaze/Abdullah - I am happy with my H & R springs.
It lowered the front and rear by 1" and the ride feels the same, no harshness at all.
But your experience and others may be different as we are not all the same.

Here's a photo I took today when I went out for a drive.

And yes, the rear sits a little lower than the front even after H&R springs installation. Good luck to you!

Dan....the car looks great! By looking at the pics the front looks lower than the rear? I figured since it lowers both front/ rear 1" that it would keep the same illusion that the rear sits lower than the front....at least that is how mine looks. Maybe it is just because the rear sidewall is shorter than the front on the OE tires:dunno:

Anywho....here are a couple of the threads where people were complaining about ride quality with H&R springs....

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...e-m6board-com/112794-h-r-springs-warning.html

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...62-switched-h-r-eibach-springs-yesterday.html

There were a few more I came across as well where people swapped out the H&R's for Eibachs

Attachments

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
wow Dan , it's the first time i see your beast with H&R !! it's looking awesome bro .
ktlocklear i never found the H&Rs harsh while driving , put the EDC on comfort and you'll be fine ;)

Reactions: whatheheck

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks guys for the clarification.....and Dan, again, your car looks fantastic. Abdullah, yours as well!
Do you guys have the black "Sport" springs? I wonder if the guys from those older threads used 650 springs or something....if that is even possible.

Dan...since you are the DIY guru.....are there any DIY's out there for M6 lowering spring install? I've done them on other cars.....and would prefer to install them myself on the M6

Reactions: q8kamikaze

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Thanks guys for the clarification.....and Dan, again, your car looks fantastic. Abdullah, yours as well!
Do you guys have the black "Sport" springs? I wonder if the guys from those older threads used 650 springs or something....if that is even possible.

Dan...since you are the DIY guru.....are there any DIY's out there for M6 lowering spring install? I've done them on other cars.....and would prefer to install them myself on the M6
Yes i have the Black sport springs , install them is pain in the #$$ the front springs good to go but the rear !! oh God remove the rear seats and the trunk covers to reach the springs , BTW i hope this picture will help also :
H&R rear springs VS OEM rear springs Guess which one is the H&R ?? :)

H&R-M6.JPG

Reactions: h3md and MKSixer

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
That was the main reason I wanted to do it myself. I really don't want someone in there that has never removed interior pieces on a M6 to get in there and start ripping stuff apart, and having to deal with that if they break something. Finding a shop that has experience with removing interior pieces on a E63 in my area will be next to impossible, except for the dealer and maybe their collision center. Seriously though...the seats and trunk panels have to come out? Seat backs or seat cushions...or both?

Also....I was looking at the Eibachs, and there was a note that said not for self leveling systems. How to tell if my car has this?

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 · (Edited)
Anyone know this car?

It is located in Houston....
BMW : M6 - eBay (item 350441428294 end time Mar-12-11 14:14:41 PST)

It's obviously lowered, but it also has the same wheels that I have sitting in my garage that I am planning to put on, except mine are powder coated Jet Anthracite Matte. Those pictured are 19's too which is what mine are...although I don't know how wide those are. Mine are 19x8.5 front and 19x11 rear. My rears are flush...the one pictured look like they need to be pushed out some
Anyway..the style looks good on a M6...I wasn't sure if the 19's would look too small, but I think they look perfect

·
Registered
1,765 Posts
Anyone know this car?

It is located in Houston....
BMW : M6 - eBay (item 350441428294 end time Mar-12-11 14:14:41 PST)

It's obviously lowered, but it also has the same wheels that I have sitting in my garage that I am planning to put on, except mine are powder coated Jet Anthracite Matte. Those pictured are 19's too which is what mine are...although I don't know how wide those are. Mine are 19x8.5 front and 19x11 rear.
Anyway..the style looks good on a M6...I wasn't sure if the 19's would look too small, but I think they look perfect
I think your wheels are wider then this one , yes it will be awesome , BTW is this M3 CSL wheels ??

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
no...similar style to the CSL, but slightly different. There are a few different brands out there.....mine are Avant Garde's

Here they are with E60 tires.....

And on my old 550

·
8,369 Posts
Springs installation is something that I think should be left to the pros.

I am very lucky. My BMW mechanic is a certified BMW mechanic and only charges $75.00 an hour.
And he lives 4 miles from my house.

He installed my springs for me and he did a fantastic job. Took 6 hours.
Dropped off my car in the morning - picked it up in the afternoon. Cant be any easier than that. Just had to pay him, but his labor rates are very reasonable compared to the $telaer. My mechanic did a fantastic job. No complaints whatsoever.

I dont have the tools, a lift nor the expertise to do that job so I decided to just let my mechanic install it for me.
I do the easy mods.

Yes my springs were black color.

Thanks for the compliments about my beast!

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
FYI- Access to the rear springs is in the trunk. Only thing that has to be removed to gain access is the trunk side panels....nothing inside the passenger compartment has to be removed.
Looks like a pretty straight forward task...front and rear.
Maybe it'll be my time to shine.....and write my first DIY:applause:

·
8,369 Posts
Please do! Then share it here with us.

Thanks!

FYI- Access to the rear springs is in the trunk. Only thing that has to be removed to gain access is the trunk side panels....nothing inside the passenger compartment has to be removed.

Looks like a pretty straight forward task...front and rear.
Maybe it'll be my time to shine.....and write my first DIY:applause:

·
Registered
1,009 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Will doooo.....

Anyone know how the EDC caps come off in the below diagram? Numbers 5 & 6......do they just pop off? How are these attached?

1 - 20 of 53 Posts