BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I need your help. It’s that time again, I need a new car!

I am on the waiting list for the E60 M5 and just put a deposit on a 06’ ZO6. Both cars will probably be here by next Christmas. However, to keep my spouse happy (buying and selling 4 sports cars over the past 18 months did not help), I can only have one. Whichever one I choose, I need to keep it for quite a few years (bosses order).

I have thoroughly enjoyed my 2000 M5 for 4 ½ years, which is the longest I have kept a car, since my first. However, I really want more power, to the point of almost replacing it with an E55K in the past. However, the thought of the Benz’s inferior handling and braking brings me back to my senses. I want an attractive sedan with sports car like handling and performance. The E60 M5 appears to offer all the performance attributes I am looking for, but I am not too sure of its appearance.

My other dilemma is the need for a high power sports car. I recently purchased a new NSX (I always wanted one) hoping its semi-exotic though dated looks, technical excellence, handling dynamics and overall quality would overshadow its modest power. To further improve handling, I am modifying my NSX with wider wheels, suspension and etc. However, I am going through serious horsepower withdrawals. Keep in mind that my two cars prior to the NSX were a 570 rwhp ZO6 and a 996 turbo. I really regret selling my 996 turbo; it was the most enjoyable car I have ever owned. My supercharged ZO6 had insane acceleration, but I hated the cheap interior and poor workmanship. I have looked into forced induction, but was disappointed after driving a Comptech supercharged NSX. However, there is a local group turbocharging the NSX and currently have a twin turbo setup producing over 800hp. But, I would go with their milder 400 rwhp kit if I were to consider the conversion.

In an attempt to fix my power addiction, I ordered a new C6 ZO6. With 500 hp and a top speed of almost 200 mph for approximately $70,000, it is a performance bargain. Also, the thought of bolting on a twin turbo or supercharger kit to the new ZO6 sounds absolutely fun. I just hope the redesign of the C6’s interior is substantial enough to keep my interest.

What do you guys think?

· Is the new M5’s increased performance and improvements worth an extra $50,000 over my existing 2000 M5?

· Does the new C6 ZO6’s near super car performance make it a better overall choice than my NSX?

· Should I get another 996 turbo versus the new C6 ZO6 even though the ZO6 will probably outperform the 996 in all performance aspects?

· Or should I just keep my M5 and NSX and get a project/track car such as a Mitsubishi Evo 8 and modify the heck out of it?

Thanks in advance for your help.

Sandy

B

·
0 Posts
Although not one of your original options, I would choose the e60 M5 and ZO6. Cheers, Daniel.

·
Registered
252 Posts
Hi Sandy-

Please give my greets to Factor-X out there. Used to have a Comptech, then Basch Boosted NSX. Anyways, I am from the school of thought that says that if you want a track car, get a REAL track car and not a dual-purpose machine, especially if you are used to having multiple cars anyway. If you really want to race, consider Spec Miata, Spec / Pro-7 RX7, or an IT type car. If you are more of an open-track person and need a dual-type car, Id consider the Lotus Elise, or if you really want your power, the new Z06. Id avoid modding an EVO:

http://www.pulpracing.com/evo_sows.htm

I think the new Z06 will be one h*ll of a car! Im buying into all the new hype about it, but I am not buying into the hype of the E60 M5, so no, Id say the extra $80k is NOT worth it for you to trade "up" to the E60.

The Z06 will spank the NSX around the track. I dont think there's going to be any question. I used to have to do all that I could to keep up with some of the C5 Z06 drivers around Willow Springs in my 400 HP SC NSX! The C6 Z06 will no doubt simply walk away!

Good Luck, and let us know what you do! :byee55amg

·
Registered
4,813 Posts
I would go for e39 M5 + Z06. I think it is a better combo and the Z06 will be freaking fast car and you will have the beast to park next to it. The C6 is already out and the guys said it is freaking fast. It murdered a e46 m3.. Just imagine what the z06 would do ouich

·
Registered
12,866 Posts
I would say keep the M5 and see DA about adding horsepower. I am not a fan of the E60, and certainly can't see your M5 plus $45ishk to make that trade. If you need a weekend track car, the Z06 should do nicely. If you want a dedicated race car, (assuming you can only have two cars), then the choice between Z06 and M5 (E39 or E60) comes down to whether you need the 4 doors and interior space of an M5 or not. Personally can't see pumping up the NSX when the stock Z06 is so much better and similar or cheaper list price before doing all the NSX add ons.
Regards,
Jerry

·
Registered
936 Posts
1. Considering that your M5 has Dinan Mods I doubt the New M5 would offer any real preformance gain. Plus do you like the SMG?

2. the Z06 and NSX are VERY different cars. I like the NSX, especially w/ the mid engine, it's a bit long in the tooth. I would get the Z06. Plus I sure you could modify that to NASCAR standards:eek: !!!

3. No, get the 997 Turbo when it comes out next year. That sould be one compario: 997 T vs Z06.

4. Your call on the EVO. I hate the interior though.

BTW the Z06 is nearly identical to the c6 insofar as the interior. The only difference is the steering wheel and the seats.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Z06 and E60 M5 sounds like the best choice to me. On the other hand, a modded NSX isn't too bad either, and the suggestion that was made before about taking your current M5 to the shadowman also sounds very tempting. But the best combination to answer your dilemma would be the Z06 and M5 imo.

·
Registered
842 Posts
I say look for the perfect modified 996 Turbo. It doesn't take much to make the 996 Turbos very fast cars but once those modifications have been made it is very difficult to get your money back when you sell, so find a car that has already been modified and buy one. Would you rather drive a 500HP Porsche or a 500HP Chevy?

In the mean time wait for the E60 to come out before you decide what to do with your E39. I really believe that driving the E60 M5 will be the deciding factor for many of us who are currently on waiting lists.

Derek

·
Registered
48 Posts
I think the best combo is your current m5 modded (great car, that is why you have had it for over 4 years) for the family, and the new Z06, which will smoke most every car on the road. Sub 4 second 0-60 and quarter in the elevens out of the box, and I am sure it will pull near 1g on the skidpad. I think the styling is very good, and I think the interior will be a lot better ( i understand, i used to own a 01 Z06).

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Keep the e39 and get the Z06 to satisfy your hunger for more HP. Will keep the boss happen on the finances, too. Unless you really like SMG, I would think the e39 is more satisfying to drive, and I'll bet you don't really miss the added HP of the e60 if you have the Z06 to drive when you want. :M5launch:

·
Banned
386 Posts
get the e39 m5 supercharged, and buy another 996 turbo and fix that one up...

·
Registered
2,998 Posts
how bout an M6 and a Z06 :) Yeah i know the m6 isn't a sadan but i found it the 645 that is of course ;to be pretty big and roomy unless you head for long trips.

I guess it depends what you want out of each car?

·
Registered
661 Posts
I also vote for E39 + Z06. The reason is it's better to have a faster sports car where you can really use the power at the track instead of having a faster street car than your sports car that only looks fast ;)

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter #19 (Edited)
Hey guys,

I appreciate all your feedback.

I agree, in a perfect world I would have an E60 M5 and a 996 turbo. Did I say I wish I never sold my 996 turbo? Darn it!

I am seriously thinking that it may make more sense to get the ZO6 versus the E60 M5. However, that V10 sounds awesome, but the lack of a manual transmission is a bummer. I know the SMG 3 should be great, but I think I will miss changing gears on my own.

My sports car will be a dual purpose vehicle used for the daily commute as well as the ocassional driving event.

· If I decide on the ZO6, do you think it would be best to wait for an 07' to avoid any first year bugs? Also, it has been GM practice to upgrade cars in their second year of production. I.E. previous ZO6, SSR and GTO.

· Should I consider an 02' 996 turbo over a brand new C6 ZO6?

· I agree that pumping up the NSX might not be the best idea, since the finished product will still be slower than a stock C6 ZO6.

· As a daily driver, do you think the ZO6 will be a better overall car than a supercharged NSX?

· The primary reason I am even considering the Evo 8 is because they are cheap to buy and modify into a relatively quick car. Also, I don't have to sell either of my existing cars.

Thanks again.

·
Registered
648 Posts
Keep the e39 for sure. (I'd say go for the e60 if you didn't already have a nice e39.)

I personally like the NSX, but if HP is what you're after then I'd pick the z06. However, considering you already have the NSX, and resale is likely to give you well below what you paid for it, I'd keep it. If you really must have a crazy car then go pick up an rx7 or similar and bolt on the biggest turbo you can find. :wroom:

1 - 20 of 36 Posts