BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 78 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I use an X5 for work, very thirsty 4.4i, good for comfort and distances towing etc. nearly bought a new M5 at that time (April 2004) none available and have never driven one, have driven M3 tuned, too small. I have a young Lotus Esprit Twin turbo V8, nippy but unreliable if you change down from 3rd to 2nd at 120mph (a poor mans GT2) I have a Ferrari 575m Maranello (a beautiful car) which on a track or road is no comparison to a GT2, not good for driving fast on A or B type roads, yes it has Fiarano handling pack, F1, all the goodies, it would have gone off the road in Africa on the Gumball 2004, and I can drive, ask Closeshave, Lonman and Kimble about the League of Champion Drivers! We all did well that day to get to Nador in one piece in less than 4 hrs from Fes, some good men didn't make it.

Seriously, I would like to know if you had £? good money to spend, what would you buy, please don't say Porsche GT3/GT2, is there a BMW model that will blow my socks off, don't say an Enzo or such like, ain't got that kinda money. Love German cars but not Mercs, too expensive and Kimble owns all the fast ones. Gallardo is slower than 575, Murcielago heavier and more cumbersome, got to be something with lots of pace and road handling, fuel that lasts for more than 150 miles per top up.

Love BMW but which BMW? No diesels please, pleeeeeease! too young still. Is there such a thing as a RUF BMW or such, reasonably off the shelf, no waiting?

Suggestions please, I will road test the best and let you know how demo runs go. Love the look of the new F430, out because they are on 2 year waiting list, that sort of money.
Got any Ideas.:M5launch: :byee55amg

D11VE:J
The whole world is mad sept thee and I, but even thee be a little queer!

·
Registered
487 Posts
I would opt for a tuned BMW, couple of tuners out there, get in contact with them: Alpina, ACSchnitzer are 2 of them I can think of right now.
Take care and best of luck, we'll read your findings here ofcourse!
:thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Well the only BMW's worth considering are the M3 which you don't like. The E39 M5 or the new E60 M5 which is still a good few months away. So basically your knackered. You've got a Ferrari and don't want a Porsche/Lambo/Diesel/Merc so your completely knackered. Only thing I could think of would be a Brabus or Alpina. I know a couple that are for sale. A Brabus CV8 based on the Mercedes C-Class with a 6.1 litre V8 would set you back about £79,995 second hand there is one for sale near me if your interested.

·
Registered
42 Posts
For devouring big distances at high speeds in comfort there is not a lot to touch your 575.

For BMW's I would go for the new M5 and have it de limited and tweaked a bit.

I also love the new Maseratti Quatroporte but it may be a bit slow in the company of cars you have mentioned.

Mercedes SL65 AMG is very quick. There was a delimited one at the Pistonheads VMAX event 2 weeks ago at Bruntingthorpe which hit 187 mph (top speed was 189 by a Ruf Turbo). I only managed 160 in a 456GTA :sad1:

·
Registered
152 Posts
What about an Audi RS6?

480 horses, 0-60 in 4.7secs and room for a small country in the boot!

I'm sure you can get a bit more grunt out of it too!

Dyl.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
Dylan said:
What about an Audi RS6?

480 horses, 0-60 in 4.7secs and room for a small country in the boot!

I'm sure you can get a bit more grunt out of it too!

Dyl.
Make that an MTM RS6 and you've got the ultimate long distance travel car IMO.

·
Registered
291 Posts
More than 150 per tank, fast and nimble, No GT2s, no Mercedes, no Diesels, no Lambos, you've mentioned how you admire GT2s but do not want one ? They're less than the Lambos you mentioned. And the other thing I don't get is if you love BMWs how you haven't heard of Alpina and AC Schnitzer...

You want a BMW, not an M3 as it's too small, so that leaves you with 5 and 7 series, which are not nimble unless you're talking about the new M5. So that leaves you with either a modified 5/7 or nothing at all...

·
Registered
344 Posts
Your title asks for "THE BEST CAR TO ENJOY DRIVING RALLIES IN"...Yet, you seem to contradict and leave yourself with few options. A car that can cost £100,000 plus, will eat up motorway mileage, will do more than 150 miles per tank and has lots of pace and road handling and you want it to blow your socks off?

New shape X5 4.8is? 360bhp?

No, thought not.

What about a late model E39 M5 or even Z8 with a bespoke supercharger kit from Discovery Automotive? Their attention to detail is second to none and with 500+bhp, it will also be no slouch. On the other hand, you could ask for a reliable 600bhp and you may just receive.

The car that you have singled out in your post does not exist in one specific form. You will have to compromise somewhere, the only question is where?

If you really want a car that has lots of pace and handling, will do over 150 miles on a tank, sit at 150+ all day long, has the ability to tow something, is German, plus you will enjoy driving rallies in and not have to worry about shifting from 3rd to 2nd, then maybe you should try a modern diesel.

You may have seen our videos, do we enjoy driving Rallies? :viking:

Regards

ant.

·
Registered
151 Posts
Ant. 's definitely right here, modern diesels are awsome!
But better watch out for Lonman's GT2 with an extra fueltank!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter #12 (Edited)
Thank you for the responses, I admit I am a novice towards BMW, I have hired/used several, owned one 20+ years ago, loved it, but needed estate type for work, BMW was passed over for VOLVO. First car after Volvo was April this year BMW X5. I could not find anything better, love it. I call it the Pope mobile, has everything for the Pope in the back, dark glass, heating, cooling, the lot. I can't sit in the back when I'm driving though :eek: I won't be changing it, too good, I also use it for towing the car trailer up to 80mph, excellent.

So it is a straight replacement for the Lotus, I wanted to use on Gumball 2004, used it on later rally though, great track car, too cramped. I am now looking for preferably 2+2 or four seats, bigger than an M3, I know nothing more about BMW than you see here. Its Volvo, Lotus or later a Ferrari for the last gods knows how long.

I like the sound of the M5 tuned, I was looking for an M5 in April, because my son said I should try one, BMW dealer told me there was none available then.

How can I get hold of a NEW M5? I am going to part ex my 20 month old Lotus Esprit or sell it if I import new car. I need a new Rally car anytime from now until next April, I am ready to buy, you know the price I am prepared to pay for the right car, What will a top drawer BMW Schnitzer or similar cost?

Must be Petrol, RHD, tuned, or can be tuned to 500bhp+ if possible, if that can be achieved with more than 150 to the tank at 150+ sounds just the job. Must be new though, anybody help me locate NEW please?:M5launch: If it goes well, will deal and tell all to you.

Finally, the GT2 is the best car I have driven to date, I have driven many, usually top drawer sports cars, a tuned GT2 is the car, it is just too thirsty and fuel is a problem, not the cost, X5 far thirstier, it is just the frequent stops I can't stand. putting in more tanks will destabilise the car for sure, its great feature now is it goes around corners like it is on rails, if adding more fuel was that easy don't you think Ferdinands boys would have done it, that is why 'No Porsche for Me' everything else Porsche would be inferior; 45 laps of Mallory and the GT2's 60 litre tank is empty. After thought, I would have seriously considered new RS6, too late. By the way, 96 litres in 575 goes 60 laps of Mallory, 140+ on straight, GT2 went past me.

D11VE:J
When I begin to see light at the end of the tunnel, its usually some one else bringing me another job to do.

·
Registered
13 Posts
D11VE:J said:
"Seriously, I would like to know if you had £? good money to spend, what would you buy, please don't say Porsche GT3/GT2."

The answer is simple, in my mind. If we are talking about Supercar rallies, then a Porsche 928 GTS (Must be the last model made) is superb for comfort, road holding, reliablility, comfort, safety, speed (Cruised well from Tangier to Casblanca at constant 157 mph), comfort and looks. Oh, did I mention the comfort?

Okay, so in episode four of the Gumball documentary you see us by the side of the road being 'rescued' by Mike Rose in the Bentley, but that was because the exhaust 'hopped' off its rubber after hitting a pothole at 85 mph going through a village. A policeman was meant to be warning drivers of the hazzard, but he was busily harrassing a local as we shot through.

Of course, a Bentley would be great, but we are talking about 'affordable' cars here.

Only trouble with 928 is the service cost of two and a half grand a throw.

Attachments

·
Registered
368 Posts
D11Ve if you want to drive an M5 give me a bell youre more then welcome to drive mine, and see what you think, Mine only has a short shifter in.. and delimit.. but we may have a Tubi or Milltek or some other exhaust system by then hehehe..

Then when you've seen what a standard car drives like, get hold of G-Power/Kelleners/Dinan or Discovery Automotive or one of the other tuning companies and commission them to find the subject car and do the tuning work for you. 500bhp should be easily within reach!..

Or if you want to be a bit different how about..
A Gemballa Cayenne 600bhp conversion. Look like ****(in my opinion you may like them) but goes like stink and gives you everything you want(though the cost may be a bit too much)(is it gemballa or gamballa .. oops)

I don't think for motorways and for practicality you can do better than an M5. If you speak to the people on this board then i guess you'll get lots of advice on tuning etc.. (See the threads on Shadowmans Discovery engine builds, some real artistry there.. !)

Another idea is that Volvo are bringing out a big bhp version of the XC90 according to Autocar today.

And what about the new Audis RS6 , S8, etc etc. Don't know enough about them but there is a tuned version of the RS6 if memory serves me correctly and there's also a tuner doing upgrades to that as well.. which should give you one seriously quick ESTATE car!!!! lolol

Anyway good luck with your search.

Cheers
DMC

·
Registered
39 Posts
Go for the RS4 or RS6. If you want tuning to mega power then looking at your location you live very close to the guys that can weave some magic. Been out in some of their MTM converted cars. jeeeeeez they are very quick :noSMG:

See here http://www.qstuning.co.uk/

·
Registered
238 Posts
crisser said:
D11VE:J said:
"Of course, a Bentley would be great, but we are talking about 'affordable' cars here.

You own a Ferrari 575M, don't you? Than Bentley Continental GT is not a really expensive car for you... 575 costs much more, doesn't it??

·
Registered
13 Posts
Stefi said:
You own a Ferrari 575M, don't you? Than Bentley Continental GT is not a really expensive car for you... 575 costs much more, doesn't it??
No, I have a DB7 which cost me £46,950

I am currently selling it, because I am buying some investment property. So I will have to put up with my Kia Sorento, which I use to tow my boat. Guys, please don't laugh!

It is a myth that all Gumballers are rich. I definitely belong to the group of 'poor' Gumballers who saved up to enter a car this year. Yes, we had a ball and met some seriously rich, but very nice, people who are able to enter their supercars without any thought to the financial consequences.

We 'poor' drivers prove, that if you want to do the Gumball/Canoball/BullRun/UR or whatever, you can if you save up for it - a concept which is lost on young people today - but the right car which will do the job as well as fulfil the criteria of a supercar. The Porsche 928 GTS fulfilled that.

Of course, you could enter a 'funny' car like Steve's Smart Car or a Citroen 2CV, which very deservably won the 2004 Spirit of the Gumball award.

I believe one of the 'poor' Gumballers has entered next years rally in an ice cream van!

Okay, I do alright. I have successful businesses, enjoy a conforatble lifestyle, have a bit of property, but I can assure you, there is no way I could afford to own and run a Bentley Continental GT or a 575M. That is dreamland!

Sorry for the long post, but I read lots "I want to do that" posts. Make a plan, form a partnership with a co-driver, identify a car and then save your pennies. But above all, always strive to achieve your goal.

Anyway. See the picture - even the boat carries a Gumball sticker. Kia is in background.

Attachments

·
Banned
267 Posts
Jeff4505 said:
More than 150 per tank, fast and nimble, No GT2s, no Mercedes, no Diesels, no Lambos, you've mentioned how you admire GT2s but do not want one ? They're less than the Lambos you mentioned. And the other thing I don't get is if you love BMWs how you haven't heard of Alpina and AC Schnitzer...

You want a BMW, not an M3 as it's too small, so that leaves you with 5 and 7 series, which are not nimble unless you're talking about the new M5. So that leaves you with either a modified 5/7 or nothing at all...
If you own an alpina the gumball HQ wont let you in as they think it is not as exclusive as the standard bmw`s :hihi:

1 - 20 of 78 Posts