BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, just upgraded from my e46 m3 to my new BEAST. I love everything about the car, but am starting to miss the iPod adapter I installed on my previous M. A few years ago, I bought the factory BMW iPod adapter for my 2002 M3, and it only cost around $170. Afterward, I wished I had bought the DICE adapter, for around the same price, which also showed the track info through your radio display and allowed you to control the iPod while it is connected to the car.

The same factory bmw adapter for my 2006 M5 now costs $370. Not a huge deal, but this time around I really want the DICE. Unfortunately, the DICE mO-BMW-46 iPod integration for the M5 costs $600 (while all DICE's other kits for most other BMW's cost $169). I was really looking forward to viewing my music through the iDrive display, but at this point I don't think it's worth the extra money. What do you guys think?

Is the factory iPod integration kit any better for the e60 m5 than it was for the e46 m3? (Does it display track info and allow iPod control while connected?)

What other hard wired options are out there with similar features/price?

·
Registered
275 Posts
USB adapter

I am not sure if it's an option or not, but my M5 has a USB port in the center console (the bottom section), which I plug my Philips GoGear into. I select AUX in the Entertainment section of the IDrive, and the car reads the GoGear like a flash drive and I can select the file (by filename) that I want to hear. As it plays, it highlights the file that is being played in the folder and shows the time duration that file has been playing.

-Dave

PS: Although I am not familiar with DICE, I cannot see how the DICE installation on an M5 would be any different than a DICE on any other E60 car. Sounds like a ripoff to me.

·
Registered
23 Posts
I've got the factory IPod connection in my 2007. It shows pretty much everything on the IDrive. Playlists are on changer 1, Artists on 2, and then tracks and albums are on 3 or 4 (don't use this option so not sure which is which). So it will show which track is playing, but not artist and album. It is pretty slow - If you go from playlists to artists, it will take a few minutes to load if you have a lot of music. This is my only complaint. My wife's A6 is so much nicer. To give you an idea, I only use an 8GB Nano in my car where my wife has a 250GB classic in her car with our entire library on it. I am not even sure if you could use a loaded 250GB with the BMW adaptor. If you are okay with switching things around on your ipod every once in a while, the factory option is good and I would think fairly easy to install. I would be very curious to see if the DICE option would work better with more data.

·
Registered
83 Posts
honestly..i just wish i had an aux hookup..is there a cheap fix to get that installed? i dont have it in the rear of the car like some..i would much rather hook it up via AUX and stream pandora or something..

·
Registered
105 Posts
I bought an alpine aftermarket i-pod AUX cable for $60 that worked in the AUX USB port in my 2010 Sierra, not sure if it would work in the M5...My Beast is still on a truck so I cant check, is there a USB hook up in our cars?

·
Registered
83 Posts
no unfortunately not..no usb in our cars :(

is there a way to get aux hookup in the car without the whole ipod adapter kit?

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
After some deeper research, I found that the only way to connect an iPod to a 2006 M5 (and have full ipod control through iDrive) is to go through the original CD Changer port in the glove box. The port uses what is known as MOST interface. The factory iPod interface that BMW offers for our cars uses this MOST interface. It tricks your iDrive into thinking that your iPod is a bunch of CD's in the CD Changer. Song and artist info is displayed and you can use the various "CD's" to sort by Artist or Song and also select playlists. DICE and Denison use this MOST interface as well.

As bmb said above, it seems to be very slow. Does anybody know if you can still change playlists or change songs via the ipod itself without disconnecting the cable (through the factory BMW accessory)? I know this is a feature offered by DICE. In my M3, i have to disconnect the cable to change songs, then plug the ipod back in to play. If you can control through the ipod, I'm guessing that navigating through your music would be much quicker.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
After some deeper research, I found that the only way to connect an iPod to a 2006 M5 (and have full ipod control through iDrive) is to go through the original CD Changer port in the glove box. The port uses what is known as MOST interface. The factory iPod interface that BMW offers for our cars uses this MOST interface. It tricks your iDrive into thinking that your iPod is a bunch of CD's in the CD Changer. Song and artist info is displayed and you can use the various "CD's" to sort by Artist or Song and also select playlists. DICE and Denison use this MOST interface as well.

As bmb said above, it seems to be very slow. Does anybody know if you can still change playlists or change songs via the ipod itself without disconnecting the cable (through the factory BMW accessory)? I know this is a feature offered by DICE. In my M3, i have to disconnect the cable to change songs, then plug the ipod back in to play. If you can control through the ipod, I'm guessing that navigating through your music would be much quicker.
I am getting the BMW Ipod connection kit for my 06 M5 (through the CD changer), hopefully I will get it installed by next week and will give you more info on this.

·
Registered
4,143 Posts

·
Registered
216 Posts
I don't understand why DICE is 600 bucks for E60 cars.

·
Registered
421 Posts

I'll try this today and let you know.

·
Registered
4,405 Posts
Does anybody know if you can still change playlists or change songs via the ipod itself without disconnecting the cable (through the factory BMW accessory)?

Unfortunately, you cannot.

·
Registered
112 Posts
I have the factory MOST interface, I like it, does the trick. One thing I don't like is if you have it on shuffle and click next, it goes to the next track listed on the playlist, not the next track in shuffle.

You can play pandora or slacker or youtube through it. You have to disconnect the iPhone first, put it on whatever audio program you want, plug it back in, then give it like 15 seconds and it will override and play the audio.

Someone mentioned they are HAVING it installed?? You can very quickly and easily do it yourself in 15 minutes. Just buy the interface from the dealer. Heck, if someone is in Houston, I'll even do it for you :)
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/79599-diy-ipod-most-adapter-install-2006-m5.html

·
Registered
343 Posts
When I bought my M5 it already had the iPod adaptor sold bt Bavarian Autosport installed which I am happy with. If it didn't, I am sure this is the unit I would have purchased. You can search part # 65 11 0 439 429 on their website to view more info on it.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
I have the Dension Gateway 500 with the Specdock and love it. It's a little pricey, but it's pretty sweet having a iPhone dock in the car and can be simply put out of sight by touching the ash tray closed.

·
Registered
20 Posts
I looked at the device offered through BAVAUTO and like most I-POD devices it requires activation by a BMW dealer. Is there a user friendly device that does not require activation by a BMW dealer because my ECU is tuned by Power-Chip and I don't want to loose the tune activating the device. Any ideas?

1 - 20 of 36 Posts