BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The engine will be out of my 2000 M5 while some body work is being done.
This would be the ideal time to install headers!!!
What brands of headers are out there and what are the pros and cons of each?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,093 Posts
With the engine out you can take your pick from Supersprint, Hartge, Hamann, RDSport Sport or RDSport RS Tubular.

Use the exellent Search facility on the Forum, as there is plenty of opinion on the majority listed above :M5thumbs:

Supersprint tend to be the most popular and can thoroughly recommend them as fitted to my Beast. They are extremely well made as well as offering measurable hp gains, they also really let you hear the difference particularly with an aftermarket Cat Back System.

Good Luck with your research & choice :cheers:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
cableguy said:
With the engine out you can take your pick from Supersprint, Hartge, Hamann, RDSport Sport or RDSport RS Tubular.



Doesn't SuperSprint actually make the headers for one of the companies mentioned above (Hamann maybe?). Similar to Remus making exhausts for ACS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,049 Posts
cosioboy said:
cableguy said:
With the engine out you can take your pick from Supersprint, Hartge, Hamann, RDSport Sport or RDSport RS Tubular.



Doesn't SuperSprint actually make the headers for one of the companies mentioned above (Hamann maybe?). Similar to Remus making exhausts for ACS.
I believe it was Hamann, and after a certain length of time, they can market it under their own name. But there is a Supersprint rep on the board, so you can ask directly if you are interested.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
977 Posts
I made a post about this and the SS and the RD's are the only ones in a similar price range. The Hamann and Hartge's and Dinan are much more expensive.

Someone mentioned fitment issues with the RD's came out, but I believe that was the regular ones, not the tubular ones, and you'd want the tubular ones anyway!

Most people seemed to have SuperSprint.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
330 Posts
Supersprint makes Hamann exhaust products. Why pay more?

Supersprint for the money is best and usually in stock from a M5 vendor.

There is some super long threads about RD Sport fitment issues and long wait time.

Dinan is top brand but 3 times the price compared w/ the SS.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
606 Posts
I've read and heard there are noticeable torque losses down low after headers are installed.

Is this true for those who have done headers to their car ? Specifically for those who have done SuperSprint headers ?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,954 Posts
00M5MD said:
I've read and heard there are noticeable torque losses down low after headers are installed.

Is this true for those who have done headers to their car ? Specifically for those who have done SuperSprint headers ?
Haven't seen dyno sheet results, but what I am hearing confirms that. Thus, you will need a Powerchip to take care of that (as well as the likely event of the SES light coming on upon install). I don't think there are any folks here running SS headers without the ECU re-mapping done by Powerchip/Superchip.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
13,049 Posts
00M5MD said:
I've read and heard there are noticeable torque losses down low after headers are installed.

Is this true for those who have done headers to their car ? Specifically for those who have done SuperSprint headers ?
There is a loss on the dyno between 2500-3500 rpm, but we are talking single digits in pound/feet of torque. You definitely cannot feel it in the buttometer, even highly calibrated ones! ;) ,

The headers make a huge difference, my car feels like it pulls better in 6th with headers than in 5th with stock exhaust. I went with SS for both price and fitment, they have a spring setup at the collector flange that allow some movement with heating and cooling. In theory, this prevents the header from warping at the block from the coninued heating cycles.

I don't know of anyone who has installed SS headers who was disappointed with the way the car ran after the install.
Regards,
Jerry
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
159 Posts
gsfent said:
There is a loss on the dyno between 2500-3500 rpm, but we are talking single digits in pound/feet of torque. You definitely cannot feel it in the buttometer, even highly calibrated ones! ;) ,

The headers make a huge difference, my car feels like it pulls better in 6th with headers than in 5th with stock exhaust. I went with SS for both price and fitment, they have a spring setup at the collector flange that allow some movement with heating and cooling. In theory, this prevents the header from warping at the block from the coninued heating cycles.

I don't know of anyone who has installed SS headers who was disappointed with the way the car ran after the install.
Regards,
Jerry
I second that.
Boz
 

·
Company Representative for Supersprint
Joined
·
151 Posts
Dear Group,

Our headers have certainly been a very popular choice, offering excellent performance, sound, ease of installation and longevity. This is one of the best modifications available for the already finely tuned e39 M5, as many of you have already experienced first hand. Good luck with your engine project joe racer! Check out the link for a great article from European Car Magazine. Chris

M5 Supersprint article

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
784 Posts
In hopes of answering your question I should share that we have installed and sold many sets of headers for the M5's. The product of choice for us is the SuperSprint product. This is because of the design of the system, the fit and finish, as well as the straightforward manner that the system is installed.

Then once installed the HP increase is real, able to be measured, and most importantly..... "It Can be Felt".....the "buttometer"

Good luck.

If we can help in any way please let us know www.Discovery-Automotive,com

Thank you

Shadowman
 
1 - 14 of 14 Posts
Top