BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 53 Posts

·
Registered
304 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My stock brakes are due for replacement soon and I cant decide between AP or Stoptech,the latter look physically better but some reviews on here are not that great regarding the pedal firmness being no better than stock and the paint on the caliper fading after a while-Is this true?

I get the impression that the AP's do give a great pedal feel but do they need the backing plate removed for fitting?

Are there any other brands worth considering,it must be for 18" wheels though-basically I want better looks and a firmer pedal?

Cheers.

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Most track race cars run for decades AP....coincidence?-NOT!

Paint on the street calipers is not really an issue.
The backing plate has to be slightly cut to fit the calipers.

Pedal feel is fine,but for even better pedal feel I would upgrade the rear hoses to braided lines as well....

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
I made this same question to myself and if possible and if it fits my budget for 2011, I would like to go for the AP Racing brakes 6 pots 343mm discs (I think my 17'' style 66 wheels will fit with that).

·
Registered
489 Posts
I've just been looking at the Movit ceramic set-up, there know using SystemST rotors, might be worth look? If not a little bit of overkill?

·
Registered
962 Posts
Re: Stoptech...BMW OE style 66 (17") will fit over Stoptech ST-40 and ST-22 calipers; OE Style 65s fit too - both without spacers. I don't know about the new ST-60s nor do I know anything about AP products.

No front backing plate surgery required for Stoptech; yes, need to remove rear backing plate.

I have not had issue with paint fade over two years including multiple fluid changes and track days.

I experienced noticably firmer pedal feel after installing ST-40/22 kits and included braided lines. Same as stock brakes, no way. Requires excessive pedal pressure, no. I suspect anyone experiencing softer/same as OE pedal feel after Stoptech install had other issues, e.g., need for an additional fluid bleed to remove any air and/or pad compound was different enough to result in a noticable difference that the driver didn't care for.

Do a search too...plenty of threads covering BBK choices, fitments etc. though most info you will find is Stoptech and Brembo

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
I've just been looking at the Movit ceramic set-up, there know using SystemST rotors, might be worth look? If not a little bit of overkill?
Forget Movit,not really a quality product.

I know a few Audi guys who bought them,every single one of them has issues with leaking calipers....

·
Registered
424 Posts
Looks and great OEM pedal feel combined with great stopping power at a great price - Rotora.

Best overall performance - AP Racing.

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
AP does not clear like any other BBK 17" wheels...
Raikku,

I am confused now :)

You say it doesnt clear like any other BBK, but RoundelM5 says that the Stoptech clears the Style 66 wheels.

For me it is important to know for sure, so I know that my winter wheels will fit over the BBK.

I assumed that since the AP Racing has 343mm discs that it would fit in the style 66. Have you tried yourself?

·
Registered
962 Posts
I've seen Style 66 over Stoptech ST-40. Dave Zeckhausen (Zeckhausen Racing - Board sponsor and brake guru) runs them on his 540 (same specs/geometry as M5). See pic/specs on his website
http://www.zeckhausen.com/images/wheels/style66m_17inch.jpg
http://www.zeckhausen.com/BMW/E39_installation_photos.htm

BMW E39 M5 Products - StopTech big brake kits, stainless lines, short shifters, pads, tires (scroll down to middle of page just above products and find reference to Style 66)

And it's not just the disk size that you need to be concerned about. The physical size of the caliper is also a potential issue of fitting inside the wheel without rubbing.

Re: Stoptech fitment, Zeckhausen also has fitting templates so you can test-fit before purchase.
http://www.stoptech.com/tech_info/wheel_fitment.shtml

Hope that helps!

Reactions: Tiauguinho

·
Registered
6,642 Posts
Only ST-40 clears,all other Stoptech,Brembo,AP,.. do not clear 17"

I tried the AP with the style 66,did not clear...

For me no problem,I run 19" in the summer,if I ever drive the car in the winter again,I just buy a set of style 65s and fine...

·
Registered
2,409 Posts
Only ST-40 clears,all other Stoptech,Brembo,AP,.. do not clear 17"
Hmm ok, I would have thought that the ST40 wouldnt clear because the discs are 355mm (vs 345mm stock). Reason why I assumed that AP racing with the 343mm discs would fit.

Well... seems that I only have one option, ST-40 :)

·
Registered
962 Posts
Well... seems that I only have one option, ST-40 :)
Check with Dave Z re: whether newer ST-60 will fit under Style 66. I think he may have tested this caliper on front of his car but I'm not sure if he used his Style 66 wheels or not.

Notwithstanding the oft-maligned American mantra that bigger is better, I'm not sure you will find a compelling street/track (non full racing) set of FACTS that the ST-40/ST-22 kit is in any way inadequate or lacking. Regular use under full race conditions, perhaps another story.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
Brembo can't go wrong that imho.

See Clemster's thread, and I think you'll change your tune.

I <3 Stoptech, the support staff there is top-notch and their #1 retailer is a participating forum member with an E39 - Dave Z.

AP also makes a quality product, too.

·
Registered
33 Posts
See Clemster's thread, and I think you'll change your tune.

I <3 Stoptech, the support staff there is top-notch and their #1 retailer is a participating forum member with an E39 - Dave Z.

AP also makes a quality product, too.

I see what you mean, as a expensive brembo customer you are pretty screwed with that service.
But then again the brakes are good though. he' s just unlucky hey took everything apart.

·
Registered
4,896 Posts
I see what you mean, as a expensive brembo customer you are pretty screwed with that service.
But then again the brakes are good though. he' s just unlucky hey took everything apart.

and then bought new calipers that were different colors, to which they tried to tell him "sorry, tough break"

lets not forget that even OEM Brembos are famous for peeling the paint in a rather short time period.

when you have good brakes from multiple manufacturers, you look at price and service; which, in this case will point you towards StopTech.

Reactions: herrubermensch
1 - 20 of 53 Posts