BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just purchased the AA CAI and IATS Relocation kit, and now I think I want to pick up an exhaust, which should tide me over on modding for a little while, I also have some extra cash to spend.

I tried to do some searching, but wasn't getting very far, maybe I wasn't using the correct keywords. I know Kelleners + SS X-Pipe is real popular, but I'm afraid it might end up being too loud for me, so I'd like some input on the other options. Coming from E46 M3 land, SS and Eisenmann where always top choices, does the same hold through on the M5?

I'd like something that doesn't drone, and beefs up the sound, without being obnoxious. I ultimately plan to get headers (SS probably).

·
Registered
1,047 Posts
The Tubi exhaust seems to be a popular exhaust as well. I do not have an aftermarket exhaust installed, but I have been doing my homework as I am looking to get one.

Since The Tubi is a full cat back it would elimate the cost of getting the X pipe. The Tubi Rumore verson will be a louder more V8 sounding exhaust whereas the standard will be more Ferarri sounding.

Hope that halps.

·
Registered
635 Posts
You can check www.beastpower.com and they offer Tubi, Supersprint, and others, they also offer sound clips of each exhaust

Hope this helps

Regards,

Marion

·
Registered
931 Posts
TUBI, TUBI, TUBI, TUBI, TUBI...............

·
Registered
89 Posts
I'm in the same boat - I want a 'less understated' high RPM sound but I don't want the musclecar boominess at idle. At higher RPM I think I prefer the "Nascar" throaty growl of the Kelleners over the raspy Ferrari-sounding Tubis, so if there is a way to soften the Kelleners at idle but still have them sound serious when running through the gears, I'd love to hear how.

·
Registered
241 Posts
I think the Dinan exhaust was engineered to have the least cabin throb, vibration transmission, and to be closer to stock at idle. Still screams above 4000 rpms at full throttle. Also nice that if SES problems occur the dealer can't tell you to go figure it out yourself.

Downside is price..

·
Registered
837 Posts
If you dont mind the price, I still like the Kelleners sport, everytime I start the car I enjoy the symphony, Josh

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
Tubi. Sounds sweet w/o being too loud. No nasty resonances because it comes with its own matched resonators. If you do any long distance driving at all (which the M5 excels at), you will really appreciate the "right" sound of a Tubi. Others sound more impressive b/c they are louder, but you WILL get tired of that on long trips. :flag: Just my very biased opinion of course.

·
Registered
635 Posts
It all depends on what you are looking for, If you are looking for a Muscle car sound then you should consider the Kelleners, Eisenmann, B&B or Supersprint w/ X-pipe. If your looking for that one of a kind exotic sound then you would consider Tubi.

I consider my Beast an exotic so I went the Tubi's and I love it. A BMW M5 is considered an Exotic car, if you look at any magazine or if you check the Galves book it states that it is an exotic. (FYI the Galves Book states that an M5 should not have more then 6k per year)

You have to purchase for your taste.

Regards,

Marion

·
Registered
160 Posts
You HAVE to hear the B&B Triflow....I had mine done at a shop that specializes in Ferrari's and Porsche's and the owner and everyone within earshot just raves! It's definitely got a rumble to it, sounds bad arse! About a half dozen cars after mine have had it done, including a CTS-V, an M3 or two and some other interesting iron. IMHO, Tubi's sound a bit girly...(take it easy, guys :blabla: )If you're putting anything onto an M5 it's going to rock! You just need to find out what your favorite octave is!

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I've got sound clips of Kelleners and a Tubi Rumour. Where could I find clips of SS, Eisenmann, Triflow, and others?

·
Registered
635 Posts
You could got to http://www.eisenhaus.com/main.php they make the kelleners and Eisenmann

Regards,

Marion
HDClown said:
I've got sound clips of Kelleners and a Tubi Rumour. Where could I find clips of SS, Eisenmann, Triflow, and others?

·
Registered
5,353 Posts
If I were you I'd get titanium exhausts which are now availible on the market, saves a lots of weight...weight only about 5-6kg's
Yes, they weigh lots less. But they tend to be very loud and have a bit of a tinny sound to them. At least that's what people who have put them into M3s say. I haven't heard them in M5s.

·
Registered
554 Posts
I'd go with dynomax. Only for the fact that I can't justify paying 1800 (not including labor or shipping) for exhaust systems that don't even promise me horsepower boosts. Sure they advertise it, but I do not know of anyone that proved the claim to be true. Plus with dynomax you get the advantage of having an awesome sounding exhaust at more than half the price.

Just my .02 cents.

·
Registered
977 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Well, I followed the thread with the dynomax install and listened to the sound clip. I was impressed, and the cost is cheap. There seems to be some potential concern with the Dynomax mufflers used rusting, and with their SS models being thin and prone to cracking. With the warranty offered on their products, I think I'll incur any potential risk to safe some big cash, as I have some other items I wouldn't mind spending the larger sums of cash on for the M5.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Need4Spd said:
Tubi. Sounds sweet w/o being too loud. No nasty resonances because it comes with its own matched resonators. If you do any long distance driving at all (which the M5 excels at), you will really appreciate the "right" sound of a Tubi. Others sound more impressive b/c they are louder, but you WILL get tired of that on long trips. :flag: Just my very biased opinion of course.
Need4Spd is right on this one...

I was just thinking how I liked the sound of my SuperSprints...Very little noise at cruising speed...but under load you can actually hear your motor...I now spend less time bouncing off the rev limiter with the SuperSprints...

Mark

1 - 20 of 21 Posts