BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys im thinking about getting aftermarket exhaust for the M6 but dont know which exhaust has the most gain to the engine. Some advice would be very helpful!

Thanks

·
Registered
7,038 Posts
IMHO! Any gains from an exhaust are not big enough to be felt while driving, unless one is changing the headers as well.

When I look for an exhaust, I only look for the best sound.

And when it comes to sound, Kreisiegg makes the best sound. Tubi and Eisenmann are distant second.

I have the Tubi mufflers with the Tubi X Pipe and love the sound.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Exhaust

I have the full Akrapovic and I am delighted with it. To start I had the slip on system and it did not make too much difference, however when I went to the full Evolution sytem the difference was marked. The car is much smoother and pulls much harder at mid revs also it feels to have more torque throughout the range. It also makes a nice sound, louder but not too loud or intrusive. For sure it is a lot of money but it is beautifully made and VERY light. I completely believe their claims of plus 14.4 hp, plus 16.7 nm and minus 26.45 kg compared to stock. It certainly is not the loudest but perfect for my needs. I do wonder if a re-map would improve things still more but I am worried about spoiling what I have. Just my twopenneth!

·
8,369 Posts
I agree with Hasan, and this is based on my own personal experience when I had my M5.

"Any gains from an exhaust are not big enough to be felt while driving, unless one is changing the headers as well."

Absolutely true! You wont feel very much power gain changing your exhaust.
You will feel increase in power once you install an after market headers as well and also update your ECU software.

When I had my M5, I installed Tubi Rumore plus exhaust.
I gained about 6hp, not enough to really feel by my butt o meter.
When I installed SuperSprint headers, I gained 35horses (confirmed by Dyno).

Then I updated my software with PowerChip.
Powerchip tuned my software per my bolt on mods: Tubi exhaust, super sprint headers, Dinan Cold Air intake, etc.
After software tune the beast really came alive, no need to dyno after that as the smile it puts on my face whenever I drove my M5 was enough.
It really transformed the beast.

"When I look for an exhaust, I only look for the best sound."

Me too, and for me, that was Tubi Rumore. But then again, we are all different so listen to a lot of sample videos and decide for yourself what sounds good to you.

Good luck! Lots of choices out there. Just depends on how deep your pockets are : )

·
Registered
1,192 Posts
While changing your exhaust will have negligible effect on horsepower, changing to Tubi will have a great effect on soundpower.

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
I agree that 5-10 hp is not noticeable, but 25+hp to the wheels and a similar bump in torque is nothing to blink at. Tubi makes a great product, dont get me wrong, but it is a primarily an audible change for the most part. I'll gladly choose power and sound over just sound any day of the week.

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
That's one of many who have shown that level of gain (30 hp and 33 lb/ft of torque to the wheels max gain, with large portions down to the bottom of the RPM range) with our exhaust system. We claim less than that because our dyno is very conservative. We'd rather claim low and have our customers come back with higher... not to mention the races won. One M5 customer even dyno'd 20 hp from just section 3:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/of...gains-just-sec-3-rpi-exhaust.html#post1549061

Bottom line is we guarantee our exhaust to give you the best gains. If you find a better exhaust, we will install and dyno both. If it is better, we'll issue you a 100% refund on our exhaust and the labor is 100% on us.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e6...p-me-decide-what-exhaust-get.html#post2004133

We've put out that guarantee 2 years ago, and have yet to refund even one.

If you're looking for an exhaust to give you the most proven gains and a huge weight savings (about 50 lbs savings from the stock 122 lbs), the RPi system is it. If you're looking for an exhaust with negligable gains that you can't feel, there are plenty of other choices suggested in this thread.

·
Registered
6 Posts
hi guys new member . my new rpi exhaust just got delivered this week . i will do dyno test before and after and advise . but for a few weeks going onvac to daytona bike week with my other toy . but i have a question , tried to dyno the other day but didnt know how to set computer to allow test , can anyone help ?

·
Company Representative of RPI Power
3,394 Posts
hi guys new member . my new rpi exhaust just got delivered this week . i will do dyno test before and after and advise . but for a few weeks going onvac to daytona bike week with my other toy . but i have a question , tried to dyno the other day but didnt know how to set computer to allow test , can anyone help ?
The dyno computer or the ECU in the car?

·
Registered
733 Posts
RPI all the way, the only other brand with similar gains is ASR but RPI is a way better company.
Q: Does ASR exist anymore or are a thing of the past?

Their Gen III S sounded exactly to my liking, but I think they're not on the market anymore. True or false?

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
I agree with Hasan, and this is based on my own personal experience when I had my M5.

"Any gains from an exhaust are not big enough to be felt while driving, unless one is changing the headers as well."

Absolutely true! You wont feel very much power gain changing your exhaust.
You will feel increase in power once you install an after market headers as well and also update your ECU software.

When I had my M5, I installed Tubi Rumore plus exhaust.
I gained about 6hp, not enough to really feel by my butt o meter.
When I installed SuperSprint headers, I gained 35horses (confirmed by Dyno).

Then I updated my software with PowerChip.
Powerchip tuned my software per my bolt on mods: Tubi exhaust, super sprint headers, Dinan Cold Air intake, etc.
After software tune the beast really came alive, no need to dyno after that as the smile it puts on my face whenever I drove my M5 was enough.
It really transformed the beast.

"When I look for an exhaust, I only look for the best sound."

Me too, and for me, that was Tubi Rumore. But then again, we are all different so listen to a lot of sample videos and decide for yourself what sounds good to you.

Good luck! Lots of choices out there. Just depends on how deep your pockets are : )

Well, same old story.

Sure thing. There are exhausts that rooaaaar ( fine with me ) and exhausts that roooaaaar and deliver power ( RPI ).

I would not call 25-30 whp exactly negligible. Nor 50-55 whp with headers. Add Ess stage 2 tune, Schrick cams, ram air, pulley and you

come up with 615 bhp at the crank verified on a Maha Dyno.

Real world ??? Normal 507 hp against an F430 Scuderia ( 535 hp with Capristo exhaust ). 50-180 miles ,I lost by more than 8 car lengths.

After the mods ??? Same scuderia, same road 50-180 ??? "Gone in 60 seconds". He lost by more than 10 car lengths.

George:goldcup:

·
Registered
2,740 Posts
Well, same old story.

Sure thing. There are exhausts that rooaaaar ( fine with me ) and exhausts that roooaaaar and deliver power ( RPI ).

I would not call 25-30 whp exactly negligible. Nor 50-55 whp with headers. Add Ess stage 2 tune, Schrick cams, ram air, pulley and you

come up with 615 bhp at the crank verified on a Maha Dyno.

Real world ??? Normal 507 hp against an F430 Scuderia ( 535 hp with Capristo exhaust ). 50-180 miles , lost by more than 8 car lengths.

After the mods ??? Same scuderia, same road 50-180 ??? "Gone in 60 seconds". He lost by more than 10 car lengths.

George:goldcup:
:Thumbdown: You need a camera if you have these type of encounters

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
:Thumbdown: You need a camera if you have these type of encounters
Thumbs down !!!

Well !!!

How kind you are my friend. Questioning my sincerety ???

You know what ??? I DO NOT CARE A BIT.

Are you satisfied if my car delivers 400 bhp and lost by a million miles against a VW golf gt ?

OK !!! Whatever makes you happy.

Thank you for your kindness.

My best regards,

George

·
8,369 Posts
I agree with Mark George.

I think the poster gave you the thumbs down because you were not able to capture the race in video.

I dont think we have mean spirited members here.

·
In Memoriam
2,398 Posts
George, perhaps he only was "thumbs down" that you did not get a killer video of the winning encounter. At least I hope so...
Mark,

You know me enough to understand. I am not the guy to take part in stupid road races, nor do I go to the track or the drag strip

or whatever. The Scud belongs to one of my best friends and the test was done in a closed road just to be safe.

What I only wanted to point out was that specific mods work on M6 cars, while others are for sound only.

What I do to my cars is for personal pleasure and not for public approval or disapproval.

The thread is "which exhaust gains more power". My M6 is the best proof that the combination of RPI headers and GT exhaust

delivers 55 whp, which is approximately 70 crank horses. That is all.

Your friend,

George

1 - 20 of 33 Posts