BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a 2010 M6 currently with a Dinan stage three tune that was on the car when I bought it. I've spoken with allot of tuners, hence I've received allot of advise by those who are selling their software. Now I want to talk with you guys and gals on which is the best tune out there for this engine.
Power, adaptability (lets say we change exhaust, cams, second section pipes, throttle bodies etc... With MAFS with out MAFS, I want some opinions from the "board members" on the bottom line. Which tune is the best? Also which tune to use while flashing the SMG. That would be helpful as well.

Don't be shy now, tell me what you all think from your own personal experiences with different tunes and be as specific as you possibly can.

cjn

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
There are many opinions on the "best" tune. I have had Dinan as well as Evolve.
All I can say is that Evolve was so much better than the Dinan tune that I paid for the Dinan tune, and replaced it after reading other members comments.

Evolve has great customer service, which is important to me, and their pricing, although less than Dinan does not reflect the increased quality.

I haven't tried all tunes but my car is running very well, and very fast. I think many on this board would offer the same info but have been through this conversation many times.

Thanks,
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
catman550

I want to thank everyone for chiming in and yes sorry if I started a new thread on an old subject, just don't really know how to use this board, regarding searches and things of this nature.

I should have added "DRIVABILITY" to that question as one of the major concerns, having the most HP is one thing, having it with torque that has the widest bandwidth is the key. I think you would all agree. The reason out cars have VANOS is so we can have a dual profile so to speak, low-end drivability and high-end, WOT HP. That VANOS system is what allows are cars to have all that usable range and the tune must increase along that entire range as well.

Again, thanks and keep them coming.

I have only driven one M6 in my life, Mine, I bought it unseen, from a dealer in TX, with all records and it already have four Dinan upgrades the pervious owner installed at the time the break-in service was performed. So I have a stage 3 Dinan ECU tune which is about nothing in terms of what they say it gains in HP, they claim 5 HP. Not much for almost $1,000.00 I have their mass air flow boxes and filters, their 13% Pulley and their rear exhaust last section I believe its the fourth section? We have four sections on our cars correct? Remember this NA engines do not have these massive increases like turbo charged Diesel engines or Gas engines. Our car need to breath, its all in the intake, heads and exhaust. So... Just a little nit more on this thread to think about that I should have added prior to the post.

Thanks to all and as I said keep talking tell me your experiences with the S85 work of art we are privileged enough to have in our garages. When I think of my car and what I paid for it, what it cost new and in comparison what the other brands from Italy cost. I get that big SH** eating grin ever time I hear her start up!

Sincerely,

catman550

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Yeah, the "D" tune was not much but expensive for what you get. I felt the "drive-ability" improved quite a bit with the Evolve tune. I can't speak for other tunes out there-only the two I've had.
I've also a Dinan pulley which can cut parasitic losses, but may make your car run hotter in the summer, and the usual RPI scoops, block-offs, BMC filters which I'm in process of changing to the Evolve Carbon Fiber Intakes.

In addition, I've an smg software tune for the euro-launch but hardly ever use it.

Glad you enjoy your car!

Bill

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I want to thank everyone for chiming in and yes sorry if I started a new thread on an old subject, just don't really know how to use this board, regarding searches and things of this nature.

I should have added "DRIVABILITY" to that question as one of the major concerns, having the most HP is one thing, having it with torque that has the widest bandwidth is the key. I think you would all agree. The reason out cars have VANOS is so we can have a dual profile so to speak, low-end drivability and high-end, WOT HP. That VANOS system is what allows are cars to have all that usable range and the tune must increase along that entire range as well.

Again, thanks and keep them coming.

I have only driven one M6 in my life, Mine, I bought it unseen, from a dealer in TX, with all records and it already have four Dinan upgrades the pervious owner installed at the time the break-in service was performed. So I have a stage 3 Dinan ECU tune which is about nothing in terms of what they say it gains in HP, they claim 5 HP. Not much for almost $1,000.00 I have their mass air flow boxes and filters, their 13% Pulley and their rear exhaust last section I believe its the fourth section? We have four sections on our cars correct? Remember this NA engines do not have these massive increases like turbo charged Diesel engines or Gas engines. Our car need to breath, its all in the intake, heads and exhaust. So... Just a little nit more on this thread to think about that I should have added prior to the post.

Thanks to all and as I said keep talking tell me your experiences with the S85 work of art we are privileged enough to have in our garages. When I think of my car and what I paid for it, what it cost new and in comparison what the other brands from Italy cost. I get that big SH** eating grin ever time I hear her start up!

Sincerely,

catman550
Hello and welcome to the forum.

Let me guess... It's carbon black metallic, 19K miles on the clock and you got it from Momentum BMW West in Houston (Katy) Texas? :grinyes: :cheers:

As far as the exhaust -- we have three sections (the cans being part of section 3).

For ECU tunes, ESS or Evolve seems to be the most popular -- you can't go wrong with either one (both will be an upgrade over the quite conservative Dinan tune, in comparison...)

Enjoy your beast!

-b.

Reactions: catman550

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yeah, the "D" tune was not much but expensive for what you get. I felt the "drive-ability" improved quite a bit with the Evolve tune. I can't speak for other tunes out there-only the two I've had.
I've also a Dinan pulley which can cut parasitic losses, but may make your car run hotter in the summer, and the usual RPI scoops, block-offs, BMC filters which I'm in process of changing to the Evolve Carbon Fiber Intakes.

In addition, I've an smg software tune for the euro-launch but hardly ever use it.

Glad you enjoy your car!

Bill
What SMG tune did you use and what did it cost you? I have a list of these boards of all the tune codes from BMW.

The Dinan stage three gives you a 4000 4100 RPM launch but I cannot get it to launch at the 4k + ONLY AT 1500 LIKE NORMAL i MUST HAVE SOMETHING SET WRONG. sorry for caps,

It will rev up to 4000 and stay there but when i release the shifter it does nothing but continue to rev at 4000 rpm. I am not a big fan of the "launch" but you know you have to try it right because its there! Curiosity. Nothing launches like a porsche, they are so consistent you can stay within under a tenth of a second between launches all day or until you burn it up!

How does the car shift with the Euro tune? Is there a night and day difference with the car and drivability? Please let me know...

Maybe you have the Version 3 Euro tune from BMW? let me know.

CJN

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
Hey Catman;
I had a local tuner (EAS) who specializes in BMW aftermarket add-on's, etc load the Euro/Launch.
To be honest with you, I've used it once and went up the street damn near sideways!! Got a little scared and didn't want to hit anything.
I wish there was a dragstrip neaby that I could do it safely, rather than on public streets.
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks for the welcome I hope over time as I gain knowledge I can share and contribute, for now I need a little help here and there.

As far as your guess on the car, not the same one, mine had 23,830 on it, Came from a dealer in Framers Branch, TX Was originally sold by Classic BMW around Dallas area, maybe Plano TX? Can't remember off hand have to look at the paper work I have the window sticker and the bill of sale for the Dinan stuff with the guys name that owned the car. I am very tempted to call him and get a back ground on the car. I wonder what the boards thoughts are on this? I can't see why I should not call him up. He a Doctor in the Dallas area, lived in Argyle. Funny thing was right after I bought it I found a 14K niles with FULL leather loaded with EVERYTHING at the carmax in Irving TX for exactly the same price, but mine was under warranty and still is Factory until July of this year.

The car was idling oddly, would go up and down when warm by 200- 300 rpm and a service manager at the SECOND dealer up here in the chicago area that fixed it found that all four VANOS solenoids failed the test! He saw it vary by up to 500 rpm. The guy at FMU (FluidMotorUnion) Mike, in Plainfield IL diagnosed the car the minute he heard it and told me to take it to the dealer and push for a VANOS test. He was SPOT ON!

All four replace under warranty and for those of you that want to know how much it would have cost out of pocket, $2.025.00
So there is a little contribution on VANOS costs for that particular fix.

CJN

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Sideways...

Hey Catman;
I had a local tuner (EAS) who specializes in BMW aftermarket add-on's, etc load the Euro/Launch.
To be honest with you, I've used it once and went up the street damn near sideways!! Got a little scared and didn't want to hit anything.
I wish there was a dragstrip neaby that I could do it safely, rather than on public streets.
Bill
I found the same thing I was out in the country where I had a wide road by a train station at night deserted. did the launch at 1500 car went sideways to shift into 2nd and then continued to go sideways as I controlled it to go as straight as possible and going into second laid down some seriously black stripes for another 6o feet or more then third I shut it down and had had enough fun. Had my brother with me and we had a jaws moment, we both looked at each other and said at the same time "Gonna need bigger tires, MUCH BIGGER" LOOL.

cjn

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I found the same thing I was out in the country where I had a wide road by a train station at night deserted. did the launch at 1500 car went sideways to shift into 2nd and then continued to go sideways as I controlled it to go as straight as possible and going into second laid down some seriously black stripes for another 6o feet or more then third I shut it down and had had enough fun. Had my brother with me and we had a jaws moment, we both looked at each other and said at the same time "Gonna need bigger tires, MUCH BIGGER" LOOL.

cjn
Imagine taking off at 4500 or whatever rpm!! I was like WTF!!
I tried it out on a Sunday in an industrial development but still too close for comfort.
Probably best way to launch is just let her rev with a heavy brake in first or second in my humble opinion.
Bill

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Bill,
Carey here, my real BTW. I have been thinking of building this car, I want another one and a couple m5's too. I want the 2010's due to the historic value and they are so cheap right now and you can find them m with virtually no miles on them I am buying up spare engines and transmissions as well. These will be iconic representation of the BMW last of a breed. You will not see Huge, in American terms is not huge, I am building a 9 liter Cobra, displacement engine coming out of any of the big three german car companies well big four, can't for get Porsche. These are NA art work choked up by emissions but still with the tech available and low restriction high flow cats and a correct emissions tune switch so to speak ;-) we will be able to make it through the lanes at the testing facilities for a long time. Besides I'm 51 this year in a few months and I wont live all that long so these car will last my life time as a hobby that is good clean fun, I want to spend my days at the track events, with my coupe' and sedan I hope those begin to be plural representations. there is just something about the e60,63,64 that grabs me as do earlier models grab others its about individual taste.

I am curious do you feel the same as i do? and that is to all board members "DO YOU FEEEL LIKE WE DO, THATS SO TRUE!"

cjn

·
Registered
273 Posts
I agree, these cars are fantastic and it will be a long time if ever we get such easy access to NA V10's.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I can only speak about the Evolve Alpha N tune that I have. I feel it is a great improvement over stock. Looking at the plots (attached) from my recent dyno run, torque is quite flat from 4000 to 7800. Smooth power and very lively and strong up top too. (6th gear (1:1) pull , stock diff gearing)

Attachments

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I'm curious what stage of ECU tune did you get and what was the cost?

I have Dinan Stage three and they even state its only 5HP which is not worth doing in my opinion but it also says it smoothes things out a bit.

What I am looking for is someone that has done a SMG Flash using BMW Euro spec Ver. 3 code. If anyone has done this let me know what you paid and how much difference it has made in the speed of the shifts. I've heard if you launch it shifts it for you as well so you just stab it and steer!

I am not so much into the big number RPM (1500 to 4000) for the launch, I am interested in the speed of the shifts and smoother operation of the transmission.

Anyone out there please let me know and thanks for all the nice comments and general agreement on my thoughts.

cjn

·
Registered
1,879 Posts
I think it was stage 1 because I didn't have the air boxes and throttle bodies done that needed stages two and three-I think they quoted 12 horsepower at the time but when i laid on the Evolve Tune, it was like "holy crap!"-what a difference.
Bill

·
Registered
550 Posts
You cannot beat evolves tune, period!

·
Registered
102 Posts
Just recently installed the Evolve Stage 3 Alpha N tune and the new carbon fiber intakes. Wow what a difference when you are on the track. Thumbs up again for Evolve.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
OP, I know your car from the area. I caught the intakes and exhaust when I first drove it I didn't notice the pulley or tune. As soon as you mentioned the Dinan stuff it rang a bell immediately. It's a clean car!

Evolve or ESS for tune dump the Dinan junk tune it's too conservative.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts