BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
and why...

1. 91 M5 with 79K and entirely original. No mods of any kind. Service records back to 94. SLS system failed and squatting.

2. 91M5 with 185K and modified professionally and using recognized parts, recent transmission rebuild, no engine rebuild. Decent service records.

3. 91 M5 with 230K. All the right mods, extensive service records and religious maintenance.

Assume each is a step down in price of a few thousand dollars (US).

What do you think?

·
Registered
169 Posts
I would definitely take lower mileage with the least amount of mods. Lets say if the heavy modded car had something like a dinan 3.9L motor? you have to think about replacement cost on the dinan parts when such extensive engine work was done not any indy bmw tech will be able to service the car.

·
Registered
101 Posts
I would definitely take lower mileage with the least amount of mods. Lets say if the heavy modded car had something like a dinan 3.9L motor? you have to think about replacement cost on the dinan parts when such extensive engine work was done not any indy bmw tech will be able to service the car.
Like Miller Lite... Always a good call!

I'd take the lower mileage one too. The SLS is a fairly simple fix and any '91 is going to need new shocks anyways, so I'd use it as an excuse to replace the shocks and springs with a combo you really want (Dinan, H&R, etc).

·
Registered
220 Posts
I'd take the lower mileage one too.

The one without the engine rebuild could be a ticking timebomb (especially with that mileage) and unless you know exactly what mods were done to the rebuilt example, you could also be on a losing streak.

·
Registered
1,689 Posts
I would have to ask when the mod's were done and what they consist of.

I don't think that milage is a problem aslong as they have been looked after. Iam sure that Farrell is a firm believer of this and knows a few things about maintaining these cars

·
Registered
7,933 Posts
I wouldn't care too much about low mileage if it doesn't clearly show on the car.

Age is becoming more of a factor for most of the car instead of mileage.

Ofcourse, if the car looks a lot 'fresher' than the others, and that's important to you, its better. But if the others look good despite the mileage, I wouldn't be scared of them either.

Remember, it doesn't matter which one you buy, they'll all be expensive and extensive in maintenance regardless of mileage.

·
Registered
7,660 Posts
i'd buy the best example regardless of mileage

mileage isnt necessarily an indication of it being thrashed.
Agreed ......

More often than not , a regularly used higher mileage car has been maintained regularly in order to provide regular usage and remain roadworthy .

I prefer this scenario , than a car that has sat around unused for the majority of it's life , purely because I buy my cars to drive them as intended !

The best all round example is the one to go for ......these engines are bomb proof assuming they are regularly serviced and I have spoken to more than one owner that has seen over 300,000 miles on an original S38 engine !

D

·
Registered
405 Posts
I would do the one with the cleanest title and history. I prefer lower miles and less modifications. But that is not always the lowest mileage cars. Do you have any links or vins for the cars, maybe one of us is a previous owner. I have my eye out for my old Black '91.

·
Registered
1,934 Posts
Definitley the one with the full service book and religious maintenance (ie the last one).....if those two items can be checked than mileage is less of an issue in my eyes.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I bought a low mileage 3.6 and it's paying off nicely. Bought it with 70000 on the clock and it's up to 84 now. Not much has gone wrong in 3 years of ownership.
Take care of 'em and drive with mechanical sympathy and they stay together pretty well. Not bad for a 17 year old :) My kinda classic car :)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts