BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep seeing conflicting reports on 0-60 sides with the M6 convertible. I know BMW said 4.1 or 4.2.....but then another magazine had it at like 4.8. I don't see how it is as fast as the M6 coupe with the extra 500 pounds.

As for the 55....I have seen 0-60 times at around 4.8 too.....but supposedly the new SL63 is doing 4.4?

·
Registered
75 Posts
I owned a SL55, and have an M6 coupe, stock the cars are probably pretty close, though the SL55 might be easier to get off the line. It is very easy to mod the SL, and when moded (like mine was), they are very fast.

·
Registered
224 Posts
I think those two are close enough in speed/acceleration that other factors are far more decisive, i.e., handling and design.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Guys come on....after 120mph the M6 will walk that car modded or not. Have you guys seen the videos out of this stuff!? there are multiple ones out there. As usual, the SL drops off after 12 seconds like most AMG cars do. I guess it depends on your definition of fast. The 1/4 mile is boring and 0-60 times are the least impressive element of a car's performance IMO.

·
Registered
224 Posts
Guys come on....after 120mph the M6 will walk that car modded or not. Have you guys seen the videos out of this stuff!? there are multiple ones out there. As usual, the SL drops off after 12 seconds like most AMG cars do. I guess it depends on your definition of fast. The 1/4 mile is boring and 0-60 times are the least impressive element of a car's performance IMO.
Yes but how many times are we going to go above 120mph? Handling and driver involvement is more important than outright acceleration and in that I would much rather have the M6.

·
Registered
1,655 Posts
Yes but how many times are we going to go above 120mph?
Actually more often than you think. It's what set's this car as dominant and unique. It is one of the fastest top speed production cars the world has ever seen. As you say, it also handles very well and provides a great driving experience. Sound s to me like a super car huh? The SL55 is no super car! I think we are in agreement!:cheers:

·
Registered
224 Posts
Actually more often than you think. It's what set's this car as dominant and unique. It is one of the fastest top speed production cars the world has ever seen. As you say, it also handles very well and provides a great driving experience. Sound s to me like a super car huh? The SL55 is no super car! I think we are in agreement!:cheers:
Yes. The SL55 and even the new SL63 do not excite me at all. And this despite loving my family mobile (MB E500 wagon).

·
Registered
85 Posts
Having owned an SL55 & now a 2008 M6 Conv, I must say that the SL55 will definitely beat the M6 Conv off the line, but the M6 Convertible will walk away after 3rd gear or so.

·
Registered
25 Posts
So you go above 120mph often?

·
Registered
397 Posts
So you go above 120mph often?
Doesn't everyone??? Get caught in a race on the freeway and a buck 120 is nothing. Last race I had was with a Z06 starting at around 70 and ended around 140 and I had at least 4 car lengths on him. M6 is the freeway KING! :M5launch:

Reactions: holmesmd
1 - 10 of 10 Posts