BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2001 Aston Martin DB7 Vantage Volante, $28,995 - Cars.com

or this:

Cars for Sale: 2007 BMW M6 Convertible in Sunnyvale, CA 94087: Convertible Details - 374676035 - AutoTrader.com

My thinking is making it back home from a 1,500-mile road trip without issues: simple as a brick construction vs. electronic over kill?

The ZF trans, Duratec engine design, Alcon brakes have proven reliability and 24-hr Le Mans tested.

Yes I know, it is missing the 8300-rpm scream, but when far away from home you are going to stay out of Hooligan mode.

·
Registered
689 Posts
Astons are very rare to see on the road anywhere, so buying that would get you a lot more exclusivity than the Bimmer. They are also very cool looking cars and having a V12 would be cool. But I'm not too sure about their reliability. They are British made, so reliability, especially with the electronics is a huge question mark.

I suggest you find some Aston forums and do some investigating before diving in. The car is pretty old too, so there is lots to consider.

·
Registered
3,940 Posts
One of my friends has a 10' DB9 the V12 exhaust note is intoxicating to say the least! I love driving it I redline every gear to hear that exhaust note flutter between shifts. The car has been reliable actually it did have a top problem where it couldn't stay closed/locked, but it was just a software update that fixed it. Other than that its a fun car to own he is going to get a DBS next.

To me that 01' DB7 is really old school looking it doesn't have that newer gen body style that really got Aston Martin known in the recent years. If you can do the tinkering and work on it I don't see a problem, their labor/parts is expensive but it has an exclusive history behind it.

·
Registered
1,306 Posts
That DB7 is dated as hell. I would hate to drop 30K on it since it is not special enough to be a classic.

·
Registered
689 Posts
That DB7 is dated as hell. I would hate to drop 30K on it since it is not special enough to be a classic.
Other than the rear end looking like it was pulled from a 1990 Celica, the rest of the lines on that car look nice. I'm sure the rear can be updated.

·
Registered
301 Posts
M6 all the way.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback, all very good points.

One of the best Project Teams and Engineering groups to have ever been assembled is the Premier Auto Group when Ford owned Land Rover, Jaguar and Aston. The quality of the cars and engineering technology was a 1000% better at that time then when British owned.

I know the later generation Aston DB9 was a 100% PAG designed thus much better (and much higher used car prices), but PAG also touched the later DB7 versions.

Many of the current top Ford Executives (Mark Fields included) can trace their success to having been part of that group.

Premier Automotive Group - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

My own experience with a 2006 LR3 is a testament to that (110-K and still going strong).

The Aston Forums are useless compared to the M5board, I assume the prices are not yet low enough to get into the hands of knowledgeable enthusiasts.

·
Registered
1,450 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
OK I give in the M6 is the one to go after

Just maybe not this one

A check on the VIN# reveals 5-owners (WBSEK93557CS32669) the last owner only kept it 2-months prior to trade in at a approx. a $ 10K loss; based on previous sale being advertised at $ 33,988.00:

Used 2007 Bmw M6 for sale in Rafael, California. WBSEK93557CS32669

Toyota Sunnyvale would not answer my questions in writing; I may just offer 20K unless they can have a certified Motosport BMW Dealership give the engine and trans a clean bill of health.

Then have them ship it to Troy for $ 10k engine replacement
Would I be stupid to take that kind of chance? Trying to avoid $ 1,900 cost of flight ($ 375.00 2-weeks out)

Thanks for all the input

1 - 11 of 11 Posts