BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

Wich Do You Think Is The Best Grand Tourer Overall?

• E63 M6

Votes: 11 21.2%
  • Aston Martin DB9

Votes: 20 38.5%
  • Bentley Continental GT

Votes: 4 7.7%
  • Ferarri 612 Scaglietti

Votes: 9 17.3%
  • Jaguar XKR

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Maserati Coupe

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Mercedez Benz CL65 AMG

• Other, please specify in your reply

• Total voters
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Which of the following do you think is the best grand tourer overall? To be fair, I have listed the following cars which represent the best possible GT of their respective makes. I have also included "other", which you can click and tell us what you think "other" might be. I'm not necessarily making this a "super" performance coupe discussion, but more of a GT, which the M6 probably is, hence the options below.

·
Registered
1,383 Posts
I chose the Aston Martin DB9, because of the visual aspect (It is the best looking of all the cars that you listed). The Ferrari 612 Scaglietti is my second choice, and that's just because it's a Ferrari :). But you can't really decide upon names and reviews only, to decide what you want you need to have driven the others as well.

·
Registered
2,982 Posts
Well it's a difficult one to answer having never driven some of those cars in a GT sort of sense. For me a GT has to be stylish, comfortable and have lots of performance. It's got to have torque and lots of it. If your cruising big distances a refined but powerful, silky engine is what you want. You don't want to have to red line it all the time.

If I was going to buy one it would have to be the DB9. Followed closely in joint second by the Bentley and Ferrari 612.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Autobahnraser said:
No offence, but don't you think it's wiser to wait with the poll until we have got all specs of the M6 ?!? ;)
Agree. I deliberately want to know now, and see how opinions might change when we do know the actual specs. Another words, see how popular M6 becomes when it is available versus now, when we don't know much about it. Can't wait for the release!

·
Registered
40 Posts
for people not knowing much about the m6 yet its doing pretty well, but I still gotta go with the DB9! Such a nice car.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Now that the M6 is revealed (at least on paper), how has your opinion changed with regards to what you have voted for above, or if you haven't voted please do so!

Funny that I did the poll 3 weeks ago! My opinion hasn't changed. I would still vote for the M6.

·
Registered
13,638 Posts
CAR magazine recently drove a Rolls Royce Phantom from Paris to Istanbul and I was pretty impressed. When I was in college my father had a Silver Spirit and we used to drive from Florida to Washington DC in a day. It was great. All that momentum and isolation from the outside world made it a brilliant long distance car. It handled like a boat but that's not why you buy a car like that.

If I could choose any car to drive around the world in, it'd be a Phantom or perhaps a Maybach.

·
Registered
457 Posts
The only two cars from the list above that the the M6 can't beat are the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti and the MB CL 65 AMG. The CL 65 (2155 kg) really is a heavy monster, so the M6 (1785 kg) maybe beats him on the track. Anyway, these two cars cost twice as mutch! The Aston Martin (450 bhp; 570 Nm; Vmax 309 km/h; 0-100 km/h 5,0 s; 0-200 km/h 16,7 s) looks great, but can’t keep up with the M6.

·
Registered
1,780 Posts
Autobahnraser said:
The only two cars from the list above that the the M6 can't beat are the Ferrari 612 Scaglietti and the MB CL 65 AMG. The CL 65 (2155 kg) really is a heavy monster, so the M6 (1785 kg) maybe beats him on the track. Anyway, these two cars cost twice as mutch! The Aston Martin (450 bhp; 570 Nm; Vmax 309 km/h; 0-100 km/h 5,0 s; 0-200 km/h 16,7 s) looks great, but can’t keep up with the M6.

Well if you look at the post where it is maded a link to a test of the Aston, the CL65 and the 612, it clearly shows that both the Aston and the Ferrari is totaly blown away by the M5. Only the CL65 is equally fast in straight line....

·
Moderator Emeritus
10,698 Posts
without the benefit of even driving any of these, this is more academic, but I voted for the M6- purely out of bias for BMW.

My thoughts:

E63 M6: probably the best combination of virtues for most of us BMW fans

Aston Martin DB9: Beautiful, but the driving dynamics have been called into question by many magazines as has its reliability. My conclusion is: its more of the same- unquestionable beauty, questionable engineering.

Bentley Continental GT: I find this car to be terribly ugly. But thats just one man's subjective opinion. Objectively, its supposedly a whale and numb to drive- would rather have a Benz if thats the case.

Ferarri 612 Scaglietti: Probably the only one here that could rival, and perhaps beat?, the M6 dynamically- but its UGLY. Ewwww.

Jaguar XKR: Now you're making me laugh. This doesn't belong here. Old, boring and from a company that cannot make sales anymore. Ford has completely mis-managed Jaguar.

Maserati Coupe: Get the real thing- a Ferrari. Its styling is also too generic for the price. Its a name.

Mercedez Benz CL65 AMG: Never cared for the CL, but you know what you get- big, heavy, comfy, safe, probably reliable. Probably the prototypical GT for those wanting a more "refined" (translation: isolated) experience.

Just my 2 cents.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I remember TopGear did a show comparing the 645Ci, Porsche 911, the XKR and everyone shot down the 645Ci, especially when compared with the XKR. Now I would like to see the M6 thrash the XKR!

If only the M6 looked as nice as the DB9. So far, the poll shows what is relatively lacking in the M6 - surface beauty. (I stress "relative lacking", as it is not the ugliest one in the list by any means).

·
Registered
3,356 Posts
I consider the 6 form factor to be in a no-man's land. It's too big to be nimble like the M3, but it still fails to have the comfy accomodations of the M5. I'm also a fan of cabrios, and the M6 will not have this as an option for at least a while. The hard-top cabrios are also becoming increasingly appealing to me and BMW has not gone in that direction yet.

I will get the M5, pass on the M6 coupe, and then get either an M3 cabrio or M6 cabrio, though I could go with another model (e.g., M Roadster) or brand.

Tom

·
Registered
543 Posts
The DB9 is beautiful so I had to go with it. I also like the Bentley a lot, along with the rest. No offense, but I thinlk the M6 is the worst looking of the group and then the scaglietti.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #17 (Edited)
Thanks for your vote.

So far, the DB9 is a clear winner! I can tell many members are too easily seduced by the most sexy looking things in life ... what sweetly greets the eyes gets the pick!

·
Registered
180 Posts
i think the bentley encompasses the "grand" part of the tourer best of all. The 612 would be a nice idea, but i do question the idea of a long distance trip in any sort of ferrari? the CL65 is a good one, as is the beautiful DB9. I just cant agree with the 6 series on any level, its hideous.

·
Registered
816 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Taipan said:
The ferrari although I havent driven it.. it seems to have everything that a goo GT needs and wiht the Ferrari spirit. :)
I sat in a 612 at a motor show a couple of months ago. Seats were OK/comfortable but not amazingly so compared with luxury makers. Plain looking car.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts