BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
It is enough to make me clean it again and then I would move it to the inlet side and run the test again. Leaky outlets will cause vanos rattle on startup. 5 is significant but not a game breaker.

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Thanks Sailor, I'll go ahead and do another flush on the bank 2 solenoids, but I don't think I want to mess around with swapping stuff with bank 1 as it passed with great numbers, so don't want to mess with that one! FWIW my hot-start rattle has disappeared after the first solenoid maintenance, so clearly was worth doing. In other good news while I was messing around in DIS, I decided to clear the adaptations, reset the throttle mapping, and balance the idle; holy crap what a difference! Throttle response is immensely crisper and I've also noticed a significant improvement in the torque curve. Now I wish I knew what was 'off' previously that was dragging things down, but oh well, she's a totally different car now and I sure hope she stays that way!

·
Registered
105 Posts
Discussion Starter #23
More good news, pulled the bank 2 solenoids here this morning and sure enough seemed like there was something stopping up the most-outboard noid. Got it flushed and back on the car, reran test and now passes! Still 3 degrees off, but if that passes the test, good enough for me!

Attachments

·
Registered
356 Posts
I have a similar question to this one. Should I start a new thread or add to this one?

I have had a fairly quiet dieseling sound for awhile (when I bought the car there were only clicking noises), but after letting the car sit for a couple of weeks the noise is painfully loud. It doesn't go away when the car is warm, and it hasn't cooled down enough for me to try it cold. It sounds like it is coming from the vanos or maybe the top of the timing chain on bank 1 (right side, passenger side in US). It is almost certainly VANOS-related, from what I have read.

Should I buy the $200 drvanos O-ring upgrade kit, or are more parts needed? The car has > 230K miles so I don't mind doing this as Step 1 in the diagnostic process.

Is there anything I should try that doesn't require buying parts or removing the intake manifold (I really don't want to torque down dozens of bolts twice) ?

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
For $200 outrageous. He normally does not sell Drings only the dealers do. He normally had vitron orings, the Drings are better.

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
Only the dealer has the proper Drings and the cover gasket is just a dust gasket and if it comes out without breaking can be reused. If you do break it it can be temporarily replaced with one cut from paper which will do the job until you get a proper replacement. Some even say run without that gasket, not my preference but I travel a lot of gravel roads.

·
Registered
356 Posts
Ordered, thanks for the help. Looks like there is no getting around the ~$10 per ring "Geniune BMW" cost. If the Dr. Vanos parts are geniune, it's actually not a bad deal since they include parts for both sides, but I went with the ECS set which claims to be the dealer part.

·
Registered
356 Posts
One last question - is it OK to drive with the VANOS in this state? It only makes noise when the car is really really warmed up -- in fact last fall I thought the problem was the AUX fan. The noise went away during the winter, though, and only returned once the outdoor temperature went to the 80s again.

It sounds like someone is shooting the VANOS cover with a tommy gun... but from what I understand it isn't the end of the world to drive in this state since it is banging straight against the cover and not scraping laterally at all.

I'm just planning to commute to and from work until the new seals arrive if at all possible.

This noise must be the reason why they recommended 10w60 in the first place! It really sounds dreadful.

Thanks,
Mark

·
Registered
9,833 Posts
I am not sure, the code alone would not concern me. The fact that there is no oil getting to the piston would concern me, but if the oil was just getting forced out because the outlet was stuck I would be much less concerned.

·
Registered
356 Posts
There are no codes, and the noise goes away above ~2000 rpm, so I think it's safe to put another 100 or so miles on it. My parts should be here Saturday.

Thanks again for all the help.

21 - 34 of 34 Posts
About this Discussion
33 Replies
8 Participants
pyite
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing