BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi all, I've been absent for a while as training recruits down at the Marine Corps depot keeps me busy about 80 hours/week. The Beast just clocked over 64K miles and although I have the blackstone and I'm due for an oil change soon, I think I may just go ahead and plan to have the bearings changed for the piece of mind. Does anyone know a shop around here (San Diego) that does this, and does it well? I'd be willing to travel up to LA if that was my best option. When this cycle of new Marines graduates 17 Oct I'll have a little time off and be able to afford having the car in the shop. Any recommendations would be appreciated.
I haven't purchased the bearings myself - is this something one would recommend I do prior to dropping the car off? If so, where is the best place to do so?

Thank you,
~Pat

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Boo...no suggestions? Someone must know someone lol

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
T

·
0 Posts
My friend Paul has had really good luck work a place in San Diego. Pm me and I can give you his #

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hit up Woody, he should know.
Who is Woody?

I'm shopping around Lopey i'll let you know if I find anything good. PM ykjones, he had his done in oceanside. Make sure you do all the rest that needs to be done when changing the bearings.

I believe there was a link on this thread on where to get the bearings and where to send them off to:
http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/368338-wpc-treated-bearings-arp-bolts.html
Thanks for the link. I was going to see if ACG automotive did it, but haven't had a chance to contact them yet. With as much work as they do on GTR's etc, I'm guessing they might..?

quote=TROY JEUP;5187250]My friend Paul has had really good luck work a place in San Diego. Pm me and I can give you his #[/quote]

I'll do so now, thank you.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #7 (Edited)
Ok, so shopping around, VAC seems to have the cheapest ARP bolts, but they tell me I need to check my rod bolt under-head length, something I can't do as I am still driving the car. Are they making it more complex than it needs to be? Can I just select S85 and be ok? I also can't tell how many are in a package. Again, I take it one set is enough?
http://store.vacmotorsports.com/arp-bmw-connecting-rod-bolt-kits-p124.aspx

Looking for the bearings it seems VAC also sells them, but they are not WPC treated. Would you all recommend I just buy them from EAS:
WPC - Surface Treated Rod Bearings - BMW E46 M3, E9X M3 & E60 M5 -- WPC001
They don't specify M6's, but they do list M5's.

Is the internal Vanos high pressure line, really worth doing? A quick search shows it for sale at BMW for $138... Is that the best place to order it?
11367838669. BMW. PRESSURE HOSE ASSEMBLY. Hoses; Vanos cylinder head mounting parts. 11367834571.
Since she's an 08, is there a need for a new Vanos pump? I'm not saying I want to spend more money, but I'd also rather spend a little more on preventive maintenance than have issues later.

So far we have:
ARP Bolts - $374 + shipping
Bearings - $695 + shipping
Pressure hose assembly - $139 + shipping.
Subtotal = $1208 + shipping + whatever the actual work will end up costing..

What else would you recommend?
Thanks,
~Pat

·
Registered
1,211 Posts

·
Registered
DinanS2+ e60m5 6MT, s38b38 e28m5 TT/ST3, e30 TT/ST4
6,263 Posts
Who is Woody?

Pat,

Check out OMS in Oceanside. They are on Airport Rd, right next to Base.

They did my rod bearings for my s85, and they are finishing my e28 m5 Stroker build (420hp).

They are BMW enthusiast to the core. This weekend, we were at Buttonwillow getting cerified for a professional racing license, at a racing school. They know their stuff.

Tell them I sent you. Their link is in my signature.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Pat,

Check out OMS in Oceanside. They are on Airport Rd, right next to Base.

They did my rod bearings for my s85, and they are finishing my e28 m5 Stroker build (420hp).

They are BMW enthusiast to the core. This weekend, we were at Buttonwillow getting cerified for a professional racing license, at a racing school. They know their stuff.

Tell them I sent you. Their link is in my signature.
I'll hit them up shortly.
Thank you,

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Well, it's been a crazy couple weeks but I finally contacted Sean at OMS and my car will be dropped off 20 Oct. It's my DD, so I have to wait until my cycle of Marines graduate before I have some time off. I'll be doing the ARP bolts as well as coated bearings. I can't wait to drop her off and pick her up again.

What are the appropriate break in procedures for bearings? Are there any?

Pat

·
Registered
6,263 Posts

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Well, it's been a crazy couple weeks but I finally contacted Sean at OMS and my car will be dropped off 20 Oct. It's my DD, so I have to wait until my cycle of Marines graduate before I have some time off. I'll be doing the ARP bolts as well as coated bearings. I can't wait to drop her off and pick her up again.

What are the appropriate break in procedures for bearings? Are there any?

Pat
Very cool. Are you having the vanos line and belts/tensioners changed as well? What did the shop quote you for all the work?

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
I took it easy for the first 3000 miles, but really there is no need for the rod bearings.

I also changed my oil at 3000 miles, which is my normal oil change interval...just to see.

So far, 20,000 miles later, all is still good.

At 17,000 miles, post replacement, my Pb number was 1ppm:

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/e60-m5-e61-m5-touring-discussion/395649-101-000-mile-update-rod-bearings-replaced-17-000-miles-ago.html
Cool, thank you. I'll try to take it relatively easy for the first 500 or so miles...I doubt 3K will be feasible unless it is no kidding necessary lol.
Pretty impressive results!

Very cool. Are you having the vanos line and belts/tensioners changed as well? What did the shop quote you for all the work?
I have not talked to them about doing the vanos line and belts/tensioners yet. I may call him back and see what he thinks and see what else he might recommend. For some reason I brain dumped that when we were talking.

I will get his official quote in a few days but he estimated $2500-3K including parts. ARP bolts and the coated bearings may be a little more though. I'll find out when he calls me back.

Pat

·
Registered
1,211 Posts
Hi Pat, the reduced labor time for installing the ARP rod bolts over the OEM bolts more than pays for itself and they are reusable.

Semper Fi
Former 7557
Bill

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
Hey Lopey any updates? I had a guy who was gonna do mine but he cant for a long time so I may just go with the same shop. Maybe they can give us a discount if we both do it at same time and pay cash or something? I want to make sure I have everything needed as I never want to go through this crap again.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
I'm dropping the car off Monday and should have her back Thursday at the latest. It's costing a little more than I had hoped but at the same time, the peace of mind it will give me will be worth it. I can give you his contact info if you'd like?
Pat

·
Registered
1,444 Posts
I just emailed them for a quote. I should hear back soon thanks.

·
Registered
804 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I just emailed them for a quote. I should hear back soon thanks.
Glad to hear it. I'm scheduled to pick her up on Wed or Thursday and I can't wait :)
I almost had the mono-ball set installed but the $900 or so was a bit more than I was willing to tack on to an already expensive week, so it will have to wait.

·
Registered
6,263 Posts
Glad to hear it. I'm scheduled to pick her up on Wed or Thursday and I can't wait :)
I almost had the mono-ball set installed but the $900 or so was a bit more than I was willing to tack on to an already expensive week, so it will have to wait.
The guys at OMS will take care of you. Neal has a great shop.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts