BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a M5 Touring that I am thinking about instaling camshaft's to, the car is in Denmark but I reside in California.
Where is the cheapest place to get Schrik camshaft's from? Europe (Germany/Sweden) or the US.
Also what is the part # for the Schrik 3.8 engine cams?
From what I can gather on this board, cams is the only option for getting any real power gains out of this engine without forced induction, am I correct????
Anyone with knowlege on this subject, please feel free to enlighten me.

Another thing I was wondering is, what is the website address for Eisenmann in germany?, Google doesn't seem to be working in my favor.

·
Registered
176 Posts
Honestly, if you want cams, I would suggest to try and get your hands on some cams from the motorsport department, as the motorsport guys really knew what they were doing. Plus, the motorsport cams use a bit different lobe profile that lends itself a bit better to the lifespan of your valve springs and seats, rather than being brutalized by the schrick design. As for the duration, I would say a healthy amount that would still be street driveable would be a 284° Intake cam, with a 272° exhaust cam. Might need to toss in new fuel injectors, and of course, you MUST get a new mapping on your ECU.

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
Danish-M said:
I have a M5 Touring that I am thinking about instaling camshaft's to, the car is in Denmark but I reside in California.
-
[email protected] is it such a small -M5touring-world- ?? :typing:
can there really be 2 citizens of Denmark, both living in California and both
having their -M5touring- parked 'at home' (?) in Denmark for summer-time-
pleasures ?? how abt both being registered in the M5touring-registry ?? :viking: :byebye: , the -santorinblue- already is, how about
the -daytona-violett- ?? in return I can -at least- offer a copy of the BMW-build-sheet and perhaps a pre-history, provided the car was already registered by a previous owner or thru other sources - we hope to hear from
you, if u prefer by a P/M or e-mail :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Hollis said:
Honestly, if you want cams, I would suggest to try and get your hands on some cams from the motorsport department, as the motorsport guys really knew what they were doing. Plus, the motorsport cams use a bit different lobe profile that lends itself a bit better to the lifespan of your valve springs and seats, rather than being brutalized by the schrick design. As for the duration, I would say a healthy amount that would still be street driveable would be a 284° Intake cam, with a 272° exhaust cam. Might need to toss in new fuel injectors, and of course, you MUST get a new mapping on your ECU.
?????? Please explain in further detail what you mean by "motorsport department" Same company, or????
When you say Brutalized, I get confused, I thought there was more stress on motorsport engines.
Please bare with me here, I am still trying to learn about this stuff.

Thanks.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Schrick is pretty much the best camshaft manufacturer around. They make camshafts for some of the F1 engines. They know what they´re doing.

The 3.8 cams will increase valve duration to 280 degrees. There are a couple of people on this board who have this product and have done over 40,000 miles with them, problem-free.

A good friend of mine has both 280 degree cams on his e34 M5. The difference in idle speed is almost unnoticeable, but there is a noticeable improvement in accelaration. ;)

You do not have to change the valves or valve springs on the M5. They can deal with the Schrick camshaft. It is recommended however, that you check your valve clearances with a bit more frequency.

From personal exprerience, the sales people at Schrick don´t like to be bothered, with, well, sales! (Mine are coming in December!). Not the friendliest people...

A brutal camshaft, full racing, would have at least a 305 degree duration and would barely idle...

My .02

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Pepsmeister said:
Schrick is pretty much the best camshaft manufacturer around. They make camshafts for some of the F1 engines. They know what they´re doing.

The 3.8 cams will increase valve duration to 280 degrees. There are a couple of people on this board who have this product and have done over 40,000 miles with them, problem-free.

A good friend of mine has both 280 degree cams on his e34 M5. The difference in idle speed is almost unnoticeable, but there is a noticeable improvement in accelaration. ;)

You do not have to change the valves or valve springs on the M5. They can deal with the Schrick camshaft. It is recommended however, that you check your valve clearances with a bit more frequency.

From personal exprerience, the sales people at Schrick don´t like to be bothered, with, well, sales! (Mine are coming in December!). Not the friendliest people...

A brutal camshaft, full racing, would have at least a 305 degree duration and would barely idle...

My .02
Thanks
I thought the schrick cams were my best bet too :confused:
How often do I need to check the valve clearance, and are you sure the valves, springs and such doesn't have to be changed??
I would like to get more than 40.000 miles out of the engine, am I being to optimistic here?

If anybody can agree or disagree with any of the infomation above in this thread, please do so!!!
Is there other threads about this stuff anywhere?

Thanks for all your help guys :thumbsup:.............but I need more please :confused3

·
Registered
2,072 Posts
M5touring reg said:
-
[email protected] is it such a small -M5touring-world- ?? :typing:
can there really be 2 citizens of Denmark, both living in California and both
having their -M5touring- parked 'at home' (?) in Denmark for summer-time-
pleasures ?? how abt both being registered in the M5touring-registry ?? :viking: :byebye: , the -santorinblue- already is, how about
the -daytona-violett- ?? in return I can -at least- offer a copy of the BMW-build-sheet and perhaps a pre-history, provided the car was already registered by a previous owner or thru other sources - we hope to hear from
you, if u prefer by a P/M or e-mail :M5thumbs:

·
Registered
408 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I sent you all the info the other week.
BTW I can drive it in Denmark on the german plates, because I don't live there (udlandsdansker) :viking:
165.000Km was an aprox number I gave you, so if you say that was the mileage when it was for sale in 2003, then I guess it is just slightly more, definently under 170.000Km, it was for sale by a dealer for a long time, that's why the mileage didn't go up until I bought it in Feb. 2004.
When my dad gets home from his vacation, I will be able to give you the right number. :flag: :cheers:

1 - 10 of 10 Posts