BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i put my 91 e34 m5 in for an m.o.t. last week, and it failed on a broken rear spring. i was hoping that someone could tell me where i could buy one. (uk if possible) as i am trying to keep away from my main dealer for obvious reasons.

i would appricate any help on this.
cheers. highlander m5.

·
Registered
271 Posts
HIGHLANDER M5 said:
i put my 91 e34 m5 in for an m.o.t. last week, and it failed on a broken rear spring. i was hoping that someone could tell me where i could buy one. (uk if possible) as i am trying to keep away from my main dealer for obvious reasons.

i would appricate any help on this.
cheers. highlander m5.

Correct me if i am wrong - but i do not recall the rear coil springs being expensive from BMW when i changed mine about 1 year ago - funnily enough - i too had snapped one

:sad1: kinggf

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Broken springs seem to be a common issue.

My 3.6 cars rear left is broken, half a coil down from the top; I`ll be checking with the independants and main dealer very soon.

Durt had the same issue, broken half a coil from the bottom, he got both sides replaced, which is what I will do.

There was a question on whether the SLS system pipes need disconnection (making it a dealer job pretty much). I know there are some flexible pipes down there, but have no knowledge of whether the springs come over the top of the damper without having to have the system unplugged.

Durt said that his hoses were no good, so they replaced them at the same time a while ago, so was unable to comment on whether the springs can be changed in situ.

Would be interested to know.

Ivan.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Ordered springs from main dealer, £63 each inc V.A.T. I`ll be fitting them at the
weekend.I was told how to go about bleeding the system if I had to disconnect the pipes and take the strut off.
I`ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers cherrsagai

·
Registered
271 Posts
HIGHLANDER M5 said:
Ordered springs from main dealer, £63 each inc V.A.T. I`ll be fitting them at the
weekend.I was told how to go about bleeding the system if I had to disconnect the pipes and take the strut off.
I`ll let you know how I get on.

Cheers cherrsagai
hello highlander,

i am intruiged on what "information" the main dealer gave you on "bleeding" the system upon disconnection of the hydraulic system.

what i mean is, as far as i am aware - not to mention i have carried out this procedure, correct me if i am wrong anybody :-

1. if you disconnect any of the pipes, the chances are that the suspension ride height will alter.

2. ride heights (quoted from the Bentley manual) - for a sedan with 17" rims - ride height being from the bottom of the wheel rim to the wheel arch of the body - whilst the vehicle is sitting on the ground obviously. this measurement is 527mm

3. Bentley quote - "To fill and bleed". with the engine off, fill the power steering fluid reservoir until the fluid level is approx 25mm below the reservoir rim. start the engine, turn the steering wheel from lock to lock 2 times, turn off engine. raise the rear of the car until the drive wheels are off the ground. wait about 2 minutesand check the fluid level. the fluid should be no more than 25mmabove the base of the reservoir screen. correct the fluid level as necessary.

hope fully this will do the trick for you. But if the ride height alters then :-

1. adjusting the ride height requires the car to be over a pit or on a full platform lift with the rear wheels on moveable plates - thus allowing the wheel camber to adjust as the rear of the car is raised or lowered.

2.put the car in neutral and release the handbrake.

3. load the boot - over the axle - with 200kg(sedan) / 280kg(touring)

4. under the car, disconnet the control link from the regulator valve (the link between the valve and rear anti-roll bar) - start the engine

5. using the ride height measurement - move the valve level forward or back until the correct height is acheived.then lock the lever in the central position by inserting an 1/8th inch drill bit through the lever and into the valve body - there is a small hole in the valve body.

note - moving the lever forward raises and move it back lowers. when the lever is in the centre the height is maintained.

6. if necessary loosen the lock nuts and adjust the control link length so that the end of the link rod fit into the valve lever arm. tighten the lock nuts

7. using a new lock nut, install the link and then remove the drill bit.

8. remove the load from the boot and allow the system to self adjust the ride height. reload the boot , wait a few minutes and then check the ride height.

hopefully that's it sorted - if not you need to repeat the whole procedure.

Good Luck :noSMG: :noSMG: :noSMG:

·
Registered
271 Posts
IvanDias said:
Broken springs seem to be a common issue.

My 3.6 cars rear left is broken, half a coil down from the top; I`ll be checking with the independants and main dealer very soon.

Durt had the same issue, broken half a coil from the bottom, he got both sides replaced, which is what I will do.

There was a question on whether the SLS system pipes need disconnection (making it a dealer job pretty much). I know there are some flexible pipes down there, but have no knowledge of whether the springs come over the top of the damper without having to have the system unplugged.

Durt said that his hoses were no good, so they replaced them at the same time a while ago, so was unable to comment on whether the springs can be changed in situ.

Would be interested to know.

Ivan.
Ivan - and all

I have removed the rear struts - and sold them - sorry.

Yes the coil springs can be removed over the top of the strut without interfiering with the hydraulic pipes - but i did remove the pipes first. You can compress the coil spring whilst being part of the strut - but with the hydraulic system still being under pressure, I don't know if it could be compressed to allow the removal of the unit There is not much room between the wheel arch and the rear swing arm / axle to remove the strut unit. There is a section of flex pipe connecting the pipework to the bottom of the strut - mabey a bit of patience and perseverance could achieve this procedure without having to disconnect the hydraulic sysetm.

I wish you all the best in your attempts to this guys.

:confused2 :crying: :noSMG: hmmm

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Hi guys,

I changed the rear springs last weekend and managed to do it without disconnecting the hydraulic pipes.there was just enough lenth on the flexible pipe to let the strut drop down far enough to get it out from under the wheel arch and swing it to the side.

Thanks for all the info, It was much apperciated.

Cheers. cherrsagai

1 - 11 of 11 Posts