BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all:

I was wondering if someone could recommend a Canadian supplier that has good pricing and won't rip you off on Shipping of heavy brake rotors.

I am replacing all 4 and no one can come close to partsgeek.com for pricing and they don't ship to Canada.

The best I have found is on:

http://canada.carparts.com

but shipping is close to $140.

Has anyone found any better?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'm going to be buying centric rotors. Tire rack has pretty good pricing but not sure how much shipping is.
I appreciate the advice. I have looked there in the past but was not impressed with the shipping costs. Through Tirerack, it does come out to slightly less(about $13) than Canada.carparts.com which is a start lol. That'll buy me a couple more beverages hehe.

Any other suggestions peeps?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I ended up buying some Stoptechs from tirerack.com. I had enough with the Window shopping.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Shipping took forever because a package went missing, another got damaged and they had to reship the entire order because of it. Bloody UPS!!! I finally got everything on Monday(18 days later) after ordering back on July 3rd and of course after having 2 weeks off with ample time to do the installs. I will try to do it all tonight and hopefully get to bed in the brake pads before we get hit with a storm.

·
Registered
376 Posts
What kind of pads are you using?
I'm going to use PBR Deluxe. I want less dust.
Had my rotors shipped to an address in the US. Will be picking them up next weekend.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
What kind of pads are you using?
I'm going to use PBR Deluxe. I want less dust.
Had my rotors shipped to an address in the US. Will be picking them up next weekend.
I bought Pagid pads all around from BavAuto and had those shipped to my in-laws house in Pennsylvania since my wife was visiting along with a bunch of other goodies. I didn't want to compromise cold bite since I daily drive. Dust hasn't been an issue for me. I engine brake quite a bit via rev matching and am not very hard on brakes. This will be my first brake job on any car I have ever owned lol. I'll tackle this fun job tonight.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I had PBR deluxe on my E39 530i and didn't notice much of a difference with cold bite. A little more pedal pressure was required but stopping power was quite good. Wrecked that car late winter so never got a chance to see how little dust they generate.
Got my M5 this past April. It was never winter driven and I plan to keep it that way. Another reason why cold bite won't make a difference to me.
Brake job isn't that hard...just time consuming.
If the M5 is anything like the 530i in terms of brakes the rear bolts are a little tricky to get to. Space is tight but it's doable.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had PBR deluxe on my E39 530i and didn't notice much of a difference with cold bite. A little more pedal pressure was required but stopping power was quite good. Wrecked that car late winter so never got a chance to see how little dust they generate.
Got my M5 this past April. It was never winter driven and I plan to keep it that way. Another reason why cold bite won't make a difference to me.
Brake job isn't that hard...just time consuming.
If the M5 is anything like the 530i in terms of brakes the rear bolts are a little tricky to get to. Space is tight but it's doable.
Where in Canada are you?

I attempted to start the brake job last night but didn't have an 18 mm socket, couldn't figure out what size of driver to use to remove the caliper guide bolts (have a T45 socket but only found out today that I could've used that) and I also stripped both rotor retaining bolts on the drivers side lol. ouich

Round 2 will be tonight. Wish me luck!

·
Registered
139 Posts
post pics, don't forget to use anti seize on the bolts.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Here's one. My device is for some reason naming all pictures image.jpg so I'll upload more later.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Here is another.

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Nice so is the job done?
Did you bed in the brakes?
She's all done as of last Sunday and I also bedded in the pads that night. The brakes feel really nice and look sexy.

·
Registered
376 Posts
Awesome will be doin mine in the next few weeks.
Picked up the rotors on Thursday. Was a little disappointed to see that they were made in china. I thought they were made in USA.

·
Registered
241 Posts
how long does your brakes usually last?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Mine specifically? This is my first brake job on any vehicle I have ever owned. My last one I bought brand new in 1999 and sold it in 2008 and brakes were still good. I only put around 60000km on it though. I do a lot of rev matching and engine breaking with occasional heel and toe breaking so I can accelerate out of turns so I'm not hard on brakes.

If you are talking in general, it all depends on the driver. My wife is pretty hard on brakes but she doesn't drive the beast lol.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
About this Discussion
18 Replies
4 Participants
sor118
BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums
M5Board is the best forum community for information on the BMW M5 E60 (V-10), E39 (V-8), E34 (straight 6), E28, F90 and F10. Discuss performance, specs, reviews and more!
Full Forum Listing