BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
259 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'm thinking about replacing my black ///M speedometer/tachometer gauges with ///M grey. First, where would be the best place to buy and how hard of a mod is this?

2000 ///M5, I just replaced the wood trim with Titanium and I know this would look really good.

·
Registered
5,226 Posts
I have had both with a MY00 and MY01. The MY00 with black and white has better clarity than the grey and white of the MY01. If your doing it for looks, the gray might be better looking at night, but there is no advantage during the day.

Mark

·
Registered
947 Posts
as the pixels go on the early ones, my grey dials were replaced as the warranty item - on their own i think the unit is around £700, i.e. $1300 ish

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
billrM5 said:
I'm thinking about replacing my black ///M speedometer/tachometer gauges with ///M grey. First, where would be the best place to buy and how hard of a mod is this?

2000 ///M5, I just replaced the wood trim with Titanium and I know this would look really good.
BMW sells new clusters. I think the grey is what is sold now, but not sure. If you don't have bad pixels, this job with materials costs around $1200 thru BMW. They are the only one's capable of programming an new cluster.

If you have bad pixels, the job is around $100 with extended pixel warranty support from BMWNA.

If you have bad pixels and wish to retain an original cluster, VDO's repair site on the web will fix for about $300. You must remove and reinstall per on-line procedure. This is 15 min job, but car is out of service for week. They claim the repair involves updated ribbon cable...better than new.

·
Registered
1,856 Posts
Lscman said:
If you have bad pixels, the job is around $100 with extended pixel warranty support from BMWNA.
The best approach is to find some missing pixels and get BMW to swap the cluster, all the replacements are gray.

Frankly, I had mine done under warranty and was rather surprised (and not entirely happy) I'd gotten a gray one. It's okay, but I kinda prefer the black.

·
Registered
240 Posts
I have the gray panel in my '01, but always liked the black face gauges in the '00,s. Maybe we can do a swap!

Eric

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
s62fan said:
I have the gray panel in my '01, but always liked the black face gauges in the '00,s. Maybe we can do a swap!

Eric
Not possible. BMW Tech can not reprogram a used speedometer for a different car.

·
Moderator Emeritus
2,977 Posts
Lscman said:
Not possible. BMW Tech can not reprogram a used speedometer for a different car.
Are you positive about that? I think it works like this: you can only increment the mileage, not decrease it when you swap in a new-to-you instrument cluster.

David

·
Registered
661 Posts
If your black one work fine, Keep it. too much trouble to get a speedometer that is harder to see. I know because I have the grey one.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts