BMW M5 Forum and M6 Forums banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi guys

As we all know engine oil consumption in the M5 is ridiculous. Only got mine just less than 3 weeks ago and I am getting the check engine oil light for the second time. The first time I used up 1L and it was to the top of the dipstick. I have only driven it 350miles!


I will be visiting my local BMW dealer to get explanations.

Back to the question, anyone know where I can buy Castrol TWS online? I am in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Ireland</st1:country-region> so I guess UK or Irish<st1:country-region w:st="on"></st1:country-region> shops only apply. It costs €22 at the dealer and that is just extortion. :crying2:

Thanks for all your help in advance.

- Kin
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Hi guys

As we all know engine oil consumption in the M5 is ridiculous. Only got mine just less than 3 weeks ago and I am getting the check engine oil light for the second time. The first time I used up 1L and it was to the top of the dipstick. I have only driven it 350miles!


I will be visiting my local BMW dealer to get explanations.

Back to the question, anyone know where I can buy Castrol TWS online? I am in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Ireland</st1:country-region> so I guess UK or Irish<st1:country-region w:st="on"></st1:country-region> shops only apply. It costs €22 at the dealer and that is just extortion. :crying2:

Thanks for all your help in advance.

- Kin
Bavarian AutoSport has it on their web site for $9.95 US per quart. How much does the dealer sell it for?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Bavarian AutoSport does not ship to Ireland from what I can see.

Dealer sells it for €22 which is about US$28. Crazy huh? ??????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Bavarian AutoSport does not ship to Ireland from what I can see.

Dealer sells it for €22 which is about US$28. Crazy huh? ??????

Sure is -- here is the link: http://bavauto.com/shop.asp
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
293 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Bavarian AutoSport does not ship to Ireland from what I can see.

Dealer sells it for €22 which is about US$28. Crazy huh? ??????
Call them -- you can probably arrange it and then buy a lot.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,078 Posts
WOW:eek: Thats an outrageous amount of oil consumption, I hope your local dealership can give you some type of explanation:confused:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
590 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Hi guys

As we all know engine oil consumption in the M5 is ridiculous. Only got mine just less than 3 weeks ago and I am getting the check engine oil light for the second time. The first time I used up 1L and it was to the top of the dipstick. I have only driven it 350miles!


I will be visiting my local BMW dealer to get explanations.

Back to the question, anyone know where I can buy Castrol TWS online? I am in <st1:country-region w:st="on">Ireland</st1:country-region> so I guess UK or Irish<st1:country-region w:st="on"></st1:country-region> shops only apply. It costs €22 at the dealer and that is just extortion. :crying2:

Thanks for all your help in advance.

- Kin
Holy sh** Kin, That's a lot of oil. Any warranty on the car?


Joe
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,345 Posts
Did you check the oil level on the same level service and the same engine temperature. The level will be lower when cold

That sounds heaps of consumption, my car doesn't use any noticable amounts between oil changes - 6,000 miles

TWS is different to Castrol RS (A castrol 10/60 available from most outlets) It's BMW or Ascari or companys like Bavarian Automotive I'm afraid.....
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hi,

I just bought 20 Litres of RS 10/60 for about €150 including delivery - Much cheaper!!
Drop Marc a line at http://www.MAPODO.de I'm sure he will sort you out - he is happy to deliver to Ireland. He also sells on ebay.de as do several other.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Travis
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
355 Posts
Dave,


Opieoils don't have TWS on their list of products, do they sell it??

Cheapest I have found in the UK is either £38 (4L) group buy on the UK site, or about £10/litre from out of town delaers

Thanks
Roger
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,047 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
dopamine said:
Hi,

Drop Marc a line at http://www.MAPODO.de I'm sure he will sort you out - he is happy to deliver to Ireland. He also sells on ebay.de as do several other.

Travis
Was told they do not do TWS

******************
I'm sorry but I don't deal with Castrol TWS.
I can sell you for M5 (year of manufacture 1988-1995) Castrol SLX 01, SAE 0W-30 = 4,98 EUR/1ltr.
or Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 = 32,50 EUR/5 ltr.

With kind regards

Marc Porwik
******************

Opieoils told me they cannot get TWS either, they have tired but to no avail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
dopamine said:
Hi,

I just bought 20 Litres of TS 10/60 for about €150 including delivery - Much cheaper!!
Drop Marc a line at http://www.MAPODO.de I'm sure he will sort you out - he is happy to deliver to Ireland. He also sells on ebay.de as do several other.

Hope this helps

Cheers

Travis

Now thats a far more realistic price for TWS, though only RS is listed on the site?? Will drop Marc an email...

Every Dealer I have phoned outside London advised TWS was £14.99/l, seems to me BMW has raised most M5 parts prices by 50%...

Anyone around the SE of England want to do a bulk buy and share the shipping?

-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
Kin Mak said:
Was told they do not do TWS

******************
I'm sorry but I don't deal with Castrol TWS.
I can sell you for M5 (year of manufacture 1988-1995) Castrol SLX 01, SAE 0W-30 = 4,98 EUR/1ltr.
or Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 = 32,50 EUR/5 ltr.

With kind regards

Marc Porwik
******************

Opieoils told me they cannot get TWS either, they have tired but to no avail.

There is certainly someone on eBay.de selling it @ 8.35euros/l + shipping...
might be worth an email...

-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Hi Kin Mac,

I was also worried about this, but as I understand it RS and TWS are two brand names for the same product... Do a search on the web and you will find many references like this one I just googled:

"Call the local Carquest or NAPA store in your area. BMW recommends the use of BMW High Performance Synthetic Oil SAE 5W-30 or Castrol RS SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil also called Castrol TWS Motorsport SAE 10W-60 Synthetic Oil."

Maybe best to contact someone at Castrol or maybe BMW to confirm, but I am confident enough to put it mine :noSMG:

Cheers

Travis


Kin Mak said:
Was told they do not do TWS

******************
I'm sorry but I don't deal with Castrol TWS.
I can sell you for M5 (year of manufacture 1988-1995) Castrol SLX 01, SAE 0W-30 = 4,98 EUR/1ltr.
or Castrol Formula RS 10W-60 = 32,50 EUR/5 ltr.

With kind regards

Marc Porwik
******************

Opieoils told me they cannot get TWS either, they have tired but to no avail.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
27 Posts
Just found this on this very board: See about half way down the posts for a Castrol spec sheet.

http://www.m5board.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=7576

Basically says that they are two different, but very similar products, and are mixable and interchangable.

Good enough for me :)
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
From reading the many posts on the M5 and oils, the upshot being that some say RS is not the same as TWS and others say it is (maybe a local marketing thing?). TWS is alegedly a special formular developed for BMW et al...???

If TWS and RS were the same... Halfords stock it for £35ish for 4lires...

Does anyone have actual clarification from Castrol on this, I wouldn't trust BMW as they will say anything to sell their "Specially Priced" oil.

-Steve
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
368 Posts
rogbacon said:
Dave,


Opieoils don't have TWS on their list of products, do they sell it??

Cheapest I have found in the UK is either £38 (4L) group buy on the UK site, or about £10/litre from out of town delaers

Thanks
Roger
I tend to go with their advice about anything Oil related and would trust their judgement over and above any BMW source.

I believe oils like Royal Purple and Valvoline Pro-r and Pro-s knock anything Castrol make into a cocked hat, (not meaning to start a big debate) but thats just my opinion. Give Opie a call and just have a chat, well worth it and costs no more than a phone call..and could be very informative..

cheers
dave
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
213 Posts
From reading the many posts on the M5 and oils, the upshot being that some say RS is not the same as TWS and others say it is (maybe a local marketing thing?). TWS is alegedly a special formular developed for BMW et al...???

If TWS and RS were the same... Halfords stock it for £35ish for 4lires...

Does anyone have actual clarification from Castrol on this, I wouldn't trust BMW as they will say anything to sell their "Specially Priced" oil.

-Steve
 
1 - 20 of 37 Posts
Top